He says he's ready

Ballamania

Registered
Reaction score
not sure if this has been posted somewhere but up and down we go. the rollercoaster continues.

by John Schuhmann
COLOGNE, Oct. 9 -- No player in the league will have more eyes on him this year than Amare Stoudemire. With the Phoenix Suns thinking this is their season, and with their surprising success last year despite his absence, it's difficult not to think about how good they could be with the man they call STAT back in the linuep ... and playing like he used to.
Whether that is possible at this point in time is the question.
If you're looking for signs that he is making a full (and speedy) recovery from his knee problems (the non-microfracture knee is causing more trouble these days), Stoudemire has not had the best camp. He has pulled himself out of practice. He did not play against Lottomatica Roma last Friday and he hasn't been considered a starter at all in camp.
But things may be turning around. Amare has looked strong and even explosive the last two days of practice and he says that he will play against the Sixers (and perhaps send a message across the league) here in Cologne Tuesday night (3 p.m. ET, ESPN 2).
"Today, I feel 110 percent," Stoudemire said. "Yesterday, I felt 110 percent. So, if I can feel 120 percent tomorrow, then the 76ers are in for it."
His coach is happy about the last two days as well, but he realizes that it will take a lot of more days like this for his big man to be ready for the season.
"It's a little bit of a roller coaster and right now, we're on the upslope," Mike D'Antoni said. "The last two days have been great. If he keeps doing that another 20 days with no setbacks, he'll be 100 percent."
You can hear a little doubt in the way D'Antoni speaks, but Amare speaks like the pain is a thing of the past. And he doesn't fear the future.
"I'm too spiritual to be afraid of anything," he affirmed.
You must be registered for see images

Amare hopes to stretch expectations this season.
Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE/Getty Images Of course, he will tell you that he'll always take a "recovery day" if needed, because it was the recovery day he had just recently that has him feeling so good right now.
"I had a day off and I was able to recover and it was like night and day," he said.
So, fans will have to be patient. Heck, they've waited a full year at this point. And that year was tougher on the man himself than it ever could have been on those waiting for his return.
"You guys don't know how hard it was this summer to stay motivated," he said, "because it got to a point where I thought I wasn't gonna be able to come back. I thought I wasn't gonna get healthy, but I stayed motivated to keep working, to keep pushing through. And to have that feeling back to where I was before the injury, it feels great and I just can't wait to improve."
To clarify, when he says that he doubted his ability to come back, that doesn't mean that his career was almost over. He just wasn't sure that he would be able to return all the way back to where he was at his peak, the 2005 Playoffs, when he averaged 37.0 points and 9.8 rebounds in the Conference Finals against the Spurs.
And that's his goal. He's not satisfied with just playing again. He wants to be an All-Star. And he wants to be an All-Star this year. But right now, it's still October, and Cologne, Germany is a long way (both literally and figuratively) from Las Vegas. So, he's willing to accept coming off the bench for the time being.
"Whatever the role is," he said. "I'm down for it."
But he's certainly excited to feel better than he has in a long time, attacking the rim like it's a manifestation of all the frustration he's felt over the last year.
"Any opportunity I had today," he said, "I wanted to rip it down. I definitely tried to tear it down each opportunity. There was no second-guessing, no second-thoughts, no pain, no favoritism. Just strictly basketball." It's a great thing to watch, and we'll continue to do just that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Hard to read this and take it seriously, but this is the first article where his percentage spouting actually included 100% and higher.

Of course, tomorrow it may be back to him being at 80%, but who knows. He can talk all he wants, but if he comes out tomorrow and dominates like he should, then at least that will put my mind a little bit more at ease.

OP
OP
B

Ballamania

Registered
Reaction score
yeah, i am really interested in seing him tommorrow because he will probably be 75% after the game. i'll tivo it anyway. also i 'm almost wanting amare to come off of the bench. it doesnt ruin chemistry and amare ,l.b., banks, ju. jones and james jones i feel will be a special second unit.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Well if he's 120% half of the time and 80% the other half, then that averages out to 100%, so that would make him fully healed.

Cool photo.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lets hope hes 100 percent would be great to see Amare get a few big dunks against the lakers :)

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Man...he's almost up to 120% now.

Maybe when he hits 200% his hops will be more than 2 inches off the ground.

mribnik

Reaction score
This "110%, 120%" thing kinda reminds me of something Stephon Marbury said in an interview after we one the first game against the spurs on his "teardrop from God" or whatever.

He said something like, "We took it to the next level. Now we're going to take it to another level, and another level after that. Then after that it's going to another level and another."

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

What is the point of you posting here - to bring "reality" to the huddled, mis-informed, lied-to masses? Your point was made long, long ago. And just because many don't agree with you, you feel the need to insert your comments into every single thread, relishing those that may be negative and trying to negate those that may be positive. Why don't you tell us how to act, react, and respond, so we can be wiser. Thanks.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score

Your posts are so consistently negative they're beginning to sound like a lot of wishful thinking, lol. All you can do is keep those fingers crossed and hope you're anywhere close to right.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pokerface you have rapidly descended into a forum troll.

This is your warning on it. You have posted your opinion ample times on the matter.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I agree, I think some have crossed from buffering their expectations to ouright rooting against him. Either way they are going to be disapointed.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Look, he probably IS going to have a couple good days, then a day or two not so good for awhile. I see it all the time in people rehabbing from strokes and stuff -- the trick is getting them to UNDERSTAND that's what to expect, and not do what Amare is doing (not to mention half of Phoenix): High as a kite on the good days (= and overdoes it a bit) and then ready to jump off the bridge on the inevitable bad days.

Done carefully and patiently, the good days start to out number the bad, they come in longer clumps, and eventually, you realize it's normal good and bad days, not such strongly contrasting ones.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Amare just seems like the kind of young person who is very concerned about his ability to come back and is going through the normal ups and downs and expressing them without the filteration a more mature public figure would. I don't blame him, he is also really young still at 24, he'll get better at keeping the hopes of old fat white men up in due time.
I mean really lets get some perspective, most 24 year olds I know are living at home, high on weed, still sucking of mommas **** and freaking out on whether their virtual character's in game girlfirend (usually a 35 year old man himself) is available to "cyber".

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Troll or truth teller?

I vote for troll. You seem to enjoy "truth telling" about Amare's condition. that's what makes you a troll. taking pleasure in the sadness of others' situation.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I vote for troll. You seem to enjoy "truth telling" about Amare's condition. that's what makes you a troll. taking pleasure in the sadness of others' situation.

I would like Amare to come back as much as anyone BUT I like reality. Amare is what he is until he proves otherwise.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I would like Amare to come back as much as anyone BUT I like reality. Amare is what he is until he proves otherwise.

Everyone on this board save a few, me included, are taking the wait and see approach but you seem to be taking the hate and see approach.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a Suns fan first. Sure I worry about Amare, but this is normal for fans who care about their team and their star players. I think it is time time to put Amare's knee situation on the back burner and concentrate on the positive... the Suns as a team.

I think everyone already knows about the potential downside of Amare's knee problems. I'm just tired of the word "microfracture" being used as a lightning rod to spew venom about Amare and diminish the Suns as a team. If further problems arise, there will be plenty of time to talk about it then. I not saying that fans shouldn't freely express their opinions about Amare and the Suns, but there is a certain point in time where negativity for the sake of negativity, becomes very, very old... especially when it is the same old line over and over again.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What would make you guys happy? "Oh Amareee....glad to see you're 120% of your former self" ....LOL

What am I supposed to be buying into??

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson