Hawks managment news

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
devilalum said:
What happens if the Hawks cough up a hairball and the whole deal falls apart.

No trade, no offer, nothing?
i think JJ loses almost ALL negotiating power. the suns can say see they didnt even really want you at that price how bout that 6yr 70 deal.

Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
i think JJ loses almost ALL negotiating power. the suns can say see they didnt even really want you at that price how bout that 6yr 70 deal.
I'd wager in that case JJ plays out the remaining year of his contract.

He still has bargaining power in that regard if this falls through.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
lancelet's cousin said:

True, but I think the Suns would take him THAT cheap for a year! :thumbup: Think of the trade they could do, or sign and trade. :thumbup:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
lancelet's cousin said:

He currently has no contract for next year.

The best offer from the Suns I heard was 5 years/$60 Million or 6 years/$75 Million.

Of course JJ would have to listen to the offers first.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lancelet's cousin said:

He doesn't have a contract.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Yuma said:
True, but I think the Suns would take him THAT cheap for a year! :thumbup: Think of the trade they could do, or sign and trade. :thumbup:

If a player signs the one year tender he CAN'T be traded.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lancelet's cousin said:
Joe would be an All-Star triangle PG. And I'm impressed that he has the ability to be a good backup in a fast break offense. But Atlanta, given their small size (and great athetes), are going to get a walk-it-up PG in JJ. So I'll agree that he should struggle.

I think he would be a great PG with the Piston, Spurs, or another team that milks the clock. He might suprise us all. But I get the feeling he is being offered the part to seal the deal.

They should have went after Jason Williams and decided to run. That would sell more tickets than getting the biggest available name in FA by offering him the job he covets.

I'm a firm believer that PG's are born not made, there's very few examples of players coming into the NBA as SG's or SF's and converting to PG successfully, it CAN happen but it usually doesn't.

But then I'm not a huge Jason Williams fan either, he's improved but he's still the worst defensive PG the NBA has seen since the days of Chris Jackson /Mahmoud Abdul Rauf.

My prediction is they wind up having to break up that group of kids anyways, Childress, Smith, Williams add in Johnson I just don't see the fit. I thought they should have taken Chris Paul myself.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
KloD said:
He doesn't have a contract.
They have a 300K+ offer or option for his last year. He didn't sign it and wanted to see what his value was in free agency. The Suns had to tender that offer in order to keep their option on him. So worst case, he takes that 300K+ contract, plays a year, and is an unrestricted free agent.

I think the Suns would try and give him a long term deal, or barring that, I think they would allow the agent to shop his client for a short period of time.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
devilalum said:
If a player signs the one year tender he CAN'T be traded.
Touche. They still would take him at the tender price for this year. Worst case, they have a year to show him some love.... ;)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Touche. They still would take him at the tender price for this year. Worst case, they have a year to show him some love.... ;)

What really sucks is during that year the SUns can't sign him and he can't be traded. At least the Suns would benefit from him playing really hard and conducting himself like a professional to maximize his free agent value next summer.

fordronken

Reaction score
Yuma said:

Or just use him for this year and then rebuild at that position next year.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
He does to have a contract. He has his qualifying offer of like 3.5 million for next season that he can accept. (You have to extend that offer in order have right of first refusal).

He could then play out next season and become an unrestricted FA next summer.

Also, a player playing on his qualifying offer cannot be traded.

In other words, we cannot trade Joe for pieces. The only way we walk away with something is if he agrees to a contract with us next summer (which doesn't look likely) or we do another sign and trade (which will be very hard considering we have no leverage).

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
He does to have a contract. He has his qualifying offer of like 3.5 million for next season that he can accept. (You have to extend that offer in order have right of first refusal).

He could then play out next season and become an unrestricted FA next summer.

Also, a player playing on his qualifying offer cannot be traded.

In other words, we cannot trade Joe for pieces. The only way we walk away with something is if he agrees to a contract with us next summer (which doesn't look likely) or we do another sign and trade (which will be very hard considering we have no leverage).
Thanks, I couldn't remember what the amount was..... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson