Hawk @ Suns

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is it just me or does Len look liberated playing alongside Chandler?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Goodwin may not have great PG skills (IMO he is a SG) but I'm not sure his PG skills are any worse than Knight or Price quite frankly.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good momentum confidence win for this young suns team
Thought they would lose after booker fouled in the closing seconds

But great job by Goodwin finding a way to get enough room to shoot the
3 and hit it also great rebounding day by chandler

Be nice if suns could win a few in a row

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Be nice if suns could win a few in a row

Well they are playing the 76ers next. But quite frankly, that's an important game in the race for Simmons so I'm not sure the Suns winning that game would be all that beneficial.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Goodwin may not have great PG skills (IMO he is a SG) but I'm not sure his PG skills are any worse than Knight or Price quite frankly.

Price can run the offense better IMO but he's just too limited offensively to ever be more than your 3rd PG. As for Knight, he was already moved to the 2 spot because he isn't a point guard so I don't think it does Archie much good just to be a better PG than either of those 2. I think he lacks the mental game of a point guard and I don't believe he will ever be a good enough spot up shooter to regularly play the 2. That leaves bench player or small forward. I'd like to see him at the 3 often next season just to see if he can thrive there.

OP
OP
SirStefan32

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Is it just me or does Len look liberated playing alongside Chandler?

I am a big fan of the dual-center lineup. Len seems to be able to make that mid-range jumper, so they don't seem to be clogging the paint too much. They both seem to be able to pass the ball and make plays. Defensively, they crash the boards, and if you get passed one of them, the other one is there to contest a shot. I would continue starting them together, though Chandler's minutes need to be reduced. He's gonna crash and burn if he has to play 40 minutes for more than a couple of games.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
27 boards by Chandler, tying Paul Silas' record from the 1970's

a-mazing!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No matter what the plan Archie ended up dribbling the ball at the top of the key and taking the winning shot. Sometimes passing the ball in this situation ends up in a turnover. Anyway, a very exciting game.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score

No one remembers the point guard on some of the best teams in history.

Who was the Point guard on these teams?

Jordan's Bulls Championship teams?

Kobe's Laker Championship teams?

Duncan's Spurs Championship teams?

Akeem's Houston Championship teams?

Lebron's Miami Championship teams?

Even last years Curry led GS Championship team - while Curry certainly shared the ball IMO he is not a pass first guard in the mold of a Nash or Paul. Both of these pass first point guards have the same number of championships - zero.

The point is that it is proven that it is not necessary to have a pass first point guard on your team to be successful in this league. However I expect all of the point guards on these Championship teams kept the ball moving, while limiting their turnovers and playing defense. I also think that GS proved that having size across the board made it easier to play defense. This is why I doubt we will ever be a great team with Bledsoe and Knight in the back court.

The Goodwin - Booker pairing in the back court is intriguing going forward. They have the size I would prefer and the willingness to share the ball. If Goodwin can continue to improve his outside shot and his handle, he could be our answer at the point going forward. If Hornacek does not continue to give this kid minutes the rest of the season he is a bigger idiot than I give him credit for.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I listened to that on-court interview, ans he said nothing about a 3 for Len. He did say the play was supposed to go to Len, but he was not going to run that play. Maybe he added the "3" part in a later interview?

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No matter what the plan Archie ended up dribbling the ball at the top of the key and taking the winning shot. Sometimes passing the ball in this situation ends up in a turnover. Anyway, a very exciting game.

I wasn't critiquing that play, just passing along what Archie said in his post-game interview. I agree that passes all too often end in turnovers with this team. But I wonder how Jeff feels given that Archie declared publicly that he chose to ignore instructions from the coach and do his own thing. It's nice to have confidence but it's still a team game. Hopefully Jeff gave him the leeway to call his own number (or someone else's) if he didn't like the defense he was seeing.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I listened to that on-court interview, ans he said nothing about a 3 for Len. He did say the play was supposed to go to Len, but he was not going to run that play. Maybe he added the "3" part in a later interview?

Yeah I didn't hear anything in the initial interview about a Len 3 either, just that it was designed to go to Alex.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't hear anything in the initial interview about a Len 3 either, just that it was designed to go to Alex.

Hornacek said it was supposed to got to Len up top for the three but he was covered.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hornacek said it was supposed to got to Len up top for the three but he was covered.

It's interesting that Archie presented it so differently. He didn't mention one way or the other about what kind of a shot Len was supposed to take. But he clearly said he didn't want to run the called play and because he believed in himself he decided from the beginning that he was going to just take the shot. Maybe that's just youthful enthusiasm showing up in his interview, he doesn't get the post game spotlight often.

iRobot

Veteran
Reaction score
I would love to see Archie get more minutes. This season is a wash and you might as well develop the talent you have while hoping they learn on the fly and we get a top 3 draft pick.

I think Booker and the potential of Archie could make Knight or Bledsoe expendable. I like Bledsoe more than Knight personally, even with the shot up knees.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would think the Hornacek critics to be all over drawing a final shot for our 7 footer to take a 3.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would think the Hornacek critics to be all over drawing a final shot for our 7 footer to take a 3.

I'm not one of his critics and I question it too. Designing a play for a 3 in that situation makes no sense so I suspect there's more to the story. My guess is he was supposed to drive and if he couldn't get to the hoop he was supposed to kick it out to a waiting Len at the arc.