Hall: Grace and Sutton Both to be Replaced

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diamondbacks President Derrick Hall announces team will replace both DARON SUTTON and MARK GRACE in TV booth. http://vbs.cm/R0K2jJ

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2. :jedi:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
So by my count we have 25k or so in fines, jail time, and other stuff associated with a second DUI, plus 10-15 years of employment with pay exceeding 100k annually going down the tubes, plus losing a few other endorsements here and there locally.

Quite the expensive drinking problem Gracie has got there. Remember when people wanted this putz for the managerial opening?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Good. Hopefully they will find competent replacements, not Schulte and Gonzo.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy loves to wear polos.

You must be registered for see images

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy loves to wear polos.

You must be registered for see images
If the Cubs want to keep him, do the Dbacks want to spend the money to get him?

(no idea, if bidding wars ever happen for announcers)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Cubs want to keep him, do the Dbacks want to spend the money to get him?

(no idea, if bidding wars ever happen for announcers)

I think he's tired of the Cubs. Again. And who doesn't love a sequel?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he's tired of the Cubs. Again. And who doesn't love a sequel?
Tired of the Cubs? The guy is sorta kinda a star on Cubs broadcast. I am thinking he has far more bad blood left for the like of Kendrick.

(no idea if that is true, either. Making things up at the end of the workday.)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tired of the Cubs? The guy is sorta kinda a star on Cubs broadcast. I am thinking he has far more bad blood left for the like of Kendrick.

(no idea if that is true, either. Making things up at the end of the workday.)

Adam Green told me this, so you know it's take-it-to-the-bank true:

The Diamondbacks, according to a source, are considering Chicago White Sox TV analyst Steve Stone on a very short list of candidates. Stone currently is under contract with the Sox, but he is immensely popular in the Valley and it's possible he could receive permission to get out of his contract if he receives a lucrative offer elsewhere.

The situation is less complicated for Cubs TV analyst Bob Brenly, who finished the final year of his contract and remains a popular figure in the Valley after managing the Diamondbacks to a 2001 World Series title over the New York Yankees.

The bigger issue here is Brenly is not anti-polo. That's a big feather in the D-Backs' cap.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think my Dad will like either one. He RAILED against Sutton and Grace 100 times worse than we used to RAIL against Thumb Brennaman.

Can you take Hawk Harrelson too?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think my Dad will like either one. He RAILED against Sutton and Grace 100 times worse than we used to RAIL against Thumb Brennaman.

Can you take Hawk Harrelson too?

I have to wonder if maybe we should schedule some flights beyond the great city of Chicago for the D-Backs front office. I also have to wonder if they ever visited Milwaukee when Sutton was there. I imagine that discussing starting with, "No one from either Chicago team is available. What's the next closest baseball city with a broadcast team?"

Hawk is also an amazing golfer. I imagine he dreams of living here full time. I've never watched a full game so I don't really have an opinion of him in the booth.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to wonder if maybe we should schedule some flights beyond the great city of Chicago for the D-Backs front office. I also have to wonder if they ever visited Milwaukee when Sutton was there. I imagine that discussing starting with, "No one from either Chicago team is available. What's the next closest baseball city with a broadcast team?"

Hawk is also an amazing golfer. I imagine he dreams of living here full time. I've never watched a full game so I don't really have an opinion of him in the booth.

Whoa, partner, you do have not lived until you have heard Hawk with either Stone Pony (Steve Stone) or Wimpy (Tom Paciorek sp?) Twice a year, he gets in big trouble for calling out bad umpire calls against the White Sox. 1000 times a year he discusses his career with the Red Sox.

Last edited:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Somewhere, BC867 is dancing for joy.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hawk also fired Tony LaRussa and trade young Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon.

:thud:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa, partner, you do have not lived until you have heard Hawk with either Stone Pony (Steve Stone) or Wimpy (Tom Paciorek sp?) Twice a year, he gets in big trouble for calling out bad umpire calls against the White Sox. 1000 times a year he discusses his career with the Red Sox.

That sounds like most hometown baseball analysts. Just fill in the blank:

Twice a year, [retired player/color guy] gets in big trouble for calling out bad umpire calls against [the team that employs him]. 1,000 times a year [retired player/color guy] discusses his career with the [totally unrelated team he played for during the Paleocene Epoch]. [Retired player/color guy] often makes light-hearted references to drinking beer on air, and the play-by-play guy is quick to play a foil, but a discerning ear will determine it's a cry for help because [retired player/color guy] has a drinking problem that started when he was a player.

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not a real shock that Grace & Sutton are out.. Wouldn't have a problem with BB coming back to the booth in the desert. I'm a huge White Sox fan but you can leave Hawk & Stone Pony on the Southside, though I think Stone was an upgrade to Darren Jackson, who was a downgrade from Tom Paciorek (Wimpy), who I still think had good chemistry in the booth with Hawk. Is Thom's dad Marty ever gonna retire from the Reds??

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score

The bigger issue here is Brenly is not anti-polo. That's a big feather in the D-Backs' cap.

Haha I didn't tell you that, the Chicago Tribune did. :)

I'm merely the middle man.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Who in the world is Steve Stone.. For a guy that is suppose to be popular in PHX, I guess I should know who he is? :shrug:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This really interests me why I don't know who Stone is.. After looking around the only thing that may connect him to PHX is that he was drafted by the Giants.. So I would assume he played minor league ball with the Firebirds? That's all I got..

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
I think he's known more for being Harry Carey's broadcast partner for all those years on WGN

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who in the world is Steve Stone.. For a guy that is suppose to be popular in PHX, I guess I should know who he is? :shrug:

Did Cubs games for years and is a former Cub. Him and Harry Carry were in the both together from the late 80's until Harry died. Steve would call out players all the time.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Somewhere, BC867 is dancing for joy.
Well, I just got back from an alumni get-together at the Jersey shore and visiting friends in Vegas. The new Caesars buffet is out of this world. 'Taking back 1st place from the Belaggio.

Oh yeah, Sutton & Grace. Who would have thought at the beginning of the season that the two self-promoting adolescents in the booth would be gone, in two separate incidents? Even though their routine was wearing thin, it defied probabilities. Hey, TV shows get cancelled all the time.

Meanwhile, Vinnie will be around for another season. I wish I could hear him call some games other than when I visit friends in Santa Barbara.

Performers with class rise to the top.

BTW, I'm dancing in my mind, JS. My arthritis precludes it on the dance floor. :)

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Matt Vasgersian would be a good play by play guy.

He used to do play by play for the Padres. He works for MLB Network and does some Fox Games.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson