Guns

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
I got a $300 gift card from work and have decided to get me my first gun. A few years ago on a camping trip with my brother I shot one of his handguns (don't know what it was) and found that it was pretty cool. It has been a slowly festering thought in the back of my mind. Mostly I wanted something for emergency protection when camping but I would be shooting from time to time for fun. Since my security system died last year (miss you Scully) it has been a more prominent thought in my head. I pretty much made up my mind on my last camping trip that I would get one. I thought it was going to be a harder sell with my wife but since she won't let me get another dog I am guessing she figured this wasn't worth fighting.

I think I have decided on the Smith & Wesson SD9 VE. Both my brothers gave it the thumbs up for the price. What say you all? Bass Pro (where the gift card is for) has them for $300. Please know that my knowledge of guns is that they fire bullets and make noise when you pull the trigger.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I carry a Smith and Wesson airweight when hiking/camping. It weighs like one pound so is not heavy on your hip and is a revolver so you would never have the jamming issues that a semi auto gun would. its a 38 special/357 so it packs some serious power into a tiny little gun and hold 5 rounds at a time.

I bought it without research and once home and googled it, it was the concel carry gun of the year that year. Very small and slick but very powerful at the same time.

Personally after owning a few semi auto guns, I am a revolver guy through and through and weight matters a lot. My .40 caliber ruger p90 would pull my pants down from all the weight, this gun is perfect.

note: it is in the 400-500 range though. There are 3 editions, one with a full hammer sticking out, one with no hammer and one with a tiny hammer. No hammer makes all shots harder so when doing target practice, the trigger is harder to pull and makes you less accurate. The full hammer sticks out a bit so I went with the mini hammer. it only sticks out enough that you have to purposefully **** the hammer or it wont happen. perfect.

Reaction score
I would suggest a revolver as well being you are a newbie. Go to the range & take lessons in gun safety.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
No personal experience with that pistol. I use XD 9s.

That being said, first, I would try to go to a local gun range and see how the pistol feels (at least here in Vegas, we have several places where we can rent firearms for range shooting). If you like it, then buy it.

I echo other's thoughts that you should take a firearms safety course. Remember to keep your firearm clean and secured. Get the extras necessary and know how to use it.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always go shoot when I visit my father and the revolvers are a much more enjoyable experience. Simplicity seems like a good idea in outdoor conditions.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Old thread I know but anyone here a firearm collector? I love talking guns.

My favorite are the old bolt action rifles.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave