Gregg Popovich is breaking new ground...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad the audio wasn't better.

This particular paragraph particularly caught my attention.

"And what really bothers me are the people around him, the Sean Spicers, the Kellyanne Conways the Reince Preibuses, who know who he is and actually have the cynical approach and disingenuous attitude to really defend him and make him look like he didn't say what he said. When he's mad at the media for them reporting what he said, it just boggles my mind. When Kellyanne Conway said the other day he wasn't really making fun of the handicapped person. It's incredible. It really makes you wonder how far would someone go to actually cover for somebody that much. I think the comment was,' You have to look in his heart. You don't know what's in his heart. He wouldn't do that.' But he did it."And all the things he said during that time, if our children would have said it, we would have grounded them for six months. Without a doubt. But we ignore all that, because ... because why? That says something about all of us. And that's what's dangerous. That's what scares the hell out of me to this day and makes me uneasy.

I don't understand how people can defend hurtful remarks either.

Also here is another link with a different format.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...Rss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomsports-topstories

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Much respect to pop.

I know he considered a cia career, what trump did at Langley today was a disgrace. Then again he also compared the cia to Nazi Germany so I guess this was a step up.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kind of funny that the two best coaches in sports are on separate spectrums of this.

Popovich hates Trump while Bill Bellichek is a Trump supporter.

And also two of the top players in each league having opposing takes on it as well.

LeBron hates Trump while Tom Brady is a Trump supporter.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of funny that the two best coaches in sports are on separate spectrums of this.

And also two of the top players in each league having opposing takes on it as well.

Not sure Bill really qualifies as a Trump supporter. That usually implies the person is in favor of his politics and Bill has avoided that conversation to the best of my knowledge. Last I heard he said he didn't allow politics to choose his friends for him and that he has friends on both sides of the political equation.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not sure Bill really qualifies as a Trump supporter. That usually implies the person is in favor of his politics and Bill has avoided that conversation to the best of my knowledge. Last I heard he said he didn't allow politics to choose his friends for him and that he has friends on both sides of the political equation.
Well the Patriots wouldn't want a distraction so I'm sure he said that. I don't think Trump himself would be giving Bellichek shout outs and such if he wasn't a Trump supporter. Bellichek also wrote Trump a letter congratulating him on the win after the election.

I just tried googling it but I didn't find all that much for Hilary Clinton from Bellichek.

Robert Kraft, the Patriots owner, is also a Trump supporter.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the Patriots wouldn't want a distraction so I'm sure he said that. I don't think Trump himself would be giving Bellichek shout outs and such if he wasn't a Trump supporter. Bellichek also wrote Trump a letter congratulating him on the win after the election.

I just tried googling it but I didn't find all that much for Hilary Clinton from Bellichek.

Robert Kraft, the Patriots owner, is also a Trump supporter.

Watch Bill's press conference following his congratulatory note. It will explain my point better than I can and it's also freaking hilarious. Belichick at his best.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Watch Bill's press conference following his congratulatory note. It will explain my point better than I can and it's also freaking hilarious. Belichick at his best.
Yeah I saw that, the one where he said he has friendships without caring about their political beliefs and such. And I would believe that but if he doesn't care about his political beliefs, he wouldn't congratulate Trump on a political win. Plus Trump wouldn't be pimping Bellichek so much if he didn't think BB voted for him.

Agreed it is funny because iirc that's the one where he kept saying Seattle when being grilled by the reporters about it afterwards.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed it is funny because iirc that's the one where he kept saying Seattle when being grilled by the reporters about it afterwards.

It is; he must have found about a hundred different ways to say the name of his next opponent. But you're wrong about the rest of this. In this regard, I'm the same way Bill apparently is and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I've grown so tired of politics and religion and wars and corruption and such that I no longer pay much attention to any of it. I don't pick my friends based on their politics and not every person behaves the same with each person with whom they interact. The private Donald that Bill is friends with might be much different than the public Donald or even the private Donald that other's know.

I can't imagine being friends with Donald, there is nothing I like about what I believe I know of the man. But if I were friends with him, I'd most certainly congratulate him for what has to be a huge moment in the man's life. And I'd do that despite my general indifference to politics and the current state of the world. And regardless whether he thought Bill voted for him or even voted at all, I'm quite sure Donald wouldn't hesitate to get as much mileage as he could out of Bill's congratulations and subsequent interview.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It is; he must have found about a hundred different ways to say the name of his next opponent. But you're wrong about the rest of this. In this regard, I'm the same way Bill apparently is and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I've grown so tired of politics and religion and wars and corruption and such that I no longer pay much attention to any of it. I don't pick my friends based on their politics and not every person behaves the same with each person with whom they interact. The private Donald that Bill is friends with might be much different than the public Donald or even the private Donald that other's know.

I can't imagine being friends with Donald, there is nothing I like about what I believe I know of the man. But if I were friends with him, I'd most certainly congratulate him for what has to be a huge moment in the man's life. And I'd do that despite my general indifference to politics and the current state of the world. And regardless whether he thought Bill voted for him or even voted at all, I'm quite sure Donald wouldn't hesitate to get as much mileage as he could out of Bill's congratulations and subsequent interview.
I was going off this:

As for the Patriots’ longtime coach, Trump said Belichick sent him a letter saying, “You’ve proved to be the ultimate competitor and fighter. Hopefully tomorrow’s election results will give the opportunity to make America great again.”

I just don't think BB would hope for the opportunity to make Amerixa great again unless he voted or hoped for Trump to win. Or maybe he only voted or hoped for Trump to win because he's his friend and he doesn't actually care about Trump's political beliefs. Either way, that would still make him a Trump supporter.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't think BB would hope for the opportunity to make Amerixa great again unless he voted or hoped for Trump to win. Or maybe he only voted or hoped for Trump to win because he's his friend and he doesn't actually care about Trump's political beliefs. Either way, that would still make him a Trump supporter.

You're right, I wasn't aware of that note. I'd say that makes Bill a Trump supporter or Donald a liar, or maybe both.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
A head coach talking about a President like this? We haven't seen it. And, it's amazing.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/g...-strong-words-about-the-trump-administration/

We are deeply in debt to China, printing money with nothing to back it up, thanks to our previous politicians. The latest version of the Mafia, the cartels, are smuggling in terrorists for profit. U.S. companies and jobs are going off-shore, leaving the lost tax revenue on the backs of the middle class.

We need a businessman in the White House to shake up the Republican and Democrat status quo. Even if he is a butt-hole. Enough with the celebrity evaluation of a President. I want to see the status quo change before it turns us into a 3rd World nation. If China called the U.S. on our debt, it would lead to our downfall. Luckily, they're better off (so far) not doing that and collecting something vs. nothing.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
We are deeply in debt to China, printing money with nothing to back it up, thanks to our previous politicians. The latest version of the Mafia, the cartels, are smuggling in terrorists for profit. U.S. companies and jobs are going off-shore, leaving the lost tax revenue on the backs of the middle class.

We need a businessman in the White House to shake up the Republican and Democrat status quo. Even if he is a butt-hole. Enough with the celebrity evaluation of a President. I want to see the status quo change before it turns us into a 3rd World nation. If China called the U.S. on our debt, it would lead to our downfall. Luckily, they're better off (so far) not doing that and collecting something vs. nothing.

I don't know how you define deeply in debt but we owe China about $1 trillion out of our total debt which is down from 2013 when it was roughly $1.3 trillion. The majority of the federal debt is owed to Americans or the Federal government itself. In fact, I believe Japan holds more of our national debt than China does. Or are you talking about some alternative facts?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Just like how your bank can't suddenly call you up and say "I know you signed a 30 year loan... but we want the balance... tomorrow... or else", China can't just "call in" our debt. As long as we're making agreed to payments then it is a non-issue. And the next instance of a terror attack as a result of them being smuggled into the country by cartels will be the first instance.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Is there any question Pop is the GOAT?

- He's won a championship with dominant frontcourt play - Duncan & D-Rob (99'/03')

- He's won titles with a more perimeter oriented offensive team - Parker & Ginobili (05'/07')

- He beat Miami without a true superstar in 2014. Duncan wasn't the player he was and Kawhi wasn't the player he is now (14')

- 17 straight 50-win seasons

- .694 winning%

You must be registered for see images

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^I certainly think he's the greatest Coach of all time but there was a guy in Boston that has some pretty impressive numbers. Different time, different game so I'll still go with Pop but I'm sure the Red argument will be made every time this conversation arises.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
^^I certainly think he's the greatest Coach of all time but there was a guy in Boston that has some pretty impressive numbers. Different time, different game so I'll still go with Pop but I'm sure the Red argument will be made every time this conversation arises.
I look at it reversed. Red Auerbach was the greatest Coach of all time (if not Phil Jackson), but Pop has had some impressive numbers.

And Red doing it with his 6'9" Centers Russel and Cowens (although the big Centers then were 6'10") but in an era of Wilt.

Phil Jackson -11 championships in 20 seasons
Red Auerbach - 9 championships in 20 seasons
John Kindla - 5 championships in 11 seasons
Greg Popovich - 5 championships in 20 seasons
Pat Riley - 5 championships in 24 seasons

Pop is the greatest Coach of our era, but hardly of all-time. If you factor in superstars on the roster, it takes skill to stay in control of them and be consistent.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look at it reversed. Red Auerbach was the greatest Coach of all time (if not Phil Jackson), but Pop has had some impressive numbers.

And Red doing it with his 6'9" Centers Russel and Cowens (although the big Centers then were 6'10") but in an era of Wilt.

Pop is the greatest Coach of our era, but hardly of all-time. If you factor in superstars on the roster, it takes skill to stay in control of them and be consistent.

As I said, someone was sure to make the Red argument. But you're ignoring the fact that Pop is having to dominate roughly 4 times as many opponents as Red had to deal with. Playing in a league of 8 or 9 teams presents fewer challenges than doing it in a league with 30 of them.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Your last paragraph just explained why Pop is the GOAT. He did it with one superstar and several different systems. Phil Jackson had Red Auerbach had multiple superstars and never had to adapt their style of play.

Plus their reign really started when the landscape of the league changed. Bob Costas predicted it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NBC losing the NBA was tragic. As entertaining as the TNT guys can be, because they're goofy, it is absolutely nothing like the work of Bob Costas... he was poetic.

We also lost the greatest intro song to sports coverage ever:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn