Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/0926bickley0926.html

Green's reckless ego has wrecked offense

Dan Bickley
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 26, 2005 12:00 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]SEATTLE

His ego was a beast, and now the beast is dead.

Dennis Green has been trumped, thumped and drop-kicked into last place. And if a humbled coach can't perform CPR on his fractured football team, the Cardinals will struggle to win a game in 2005. [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
"You can't go any lower (than this)," Larry Fitzgerald said.

Obviously, the kid hasn't paid much attention to the history of this franchise.

Three weeks into the season, the Cardinals have lost to the Giants, the Rams and the Seahawks. Those are just the details. The real opponent has been Green's reckless arrogance.

He dispatched two of his best offensive linemen out of sheer spite, believing he could coach up inferior replacements. That has failed miserably, and undermined the entire season.

He believed he could start two rookies - Elton Brown and J.J. Arrington - just because he plucked them out of college. Brown was benched on Sunday, and Arrington started only so Green wouldn't be forced to admit his error.

When he should've examined the failure of the previous regime - Dave McGinnis employed successive offensive coordinators that had never before called an NFL play - Green repeated that egregious error, and nothing should embarrass the Cardinals brass more than this:

Their past four offensive coordinators (Rich Olson, Jerry Sullivan, Alex Wood and Keith Rowen) were all rookie play callers. That's like the FAA hiring kids to man the control tower after a plane has crashed.

Given all these cracks in the foundation, maybe it shouldn't be a surprise that the Cardinals called a wretched pass play on third and 1 when the game was still a game. Or that Marcel Shipp disappeared from the offense after a fabulous start against the Seahawks, not touching the ball for more than 17 minutes. Or that the game got away from the Cardinals as soon as the offense got out of balance.

But given Green's track record of zero tolerance and eight playoff appearances, the nosedive of this football team is stunning.

"I'm just surprised that I'm not doing a better damn job," Green said, banging his left hand on the podium.

Then, later:

"I don't think there is anybody that is more angry or disappointed than me. It would be absolutely impossible."

Good to see that Green has finally checked the scoreboard and the mirror.

This has truly been a disastrous start. Through three games, the Cardinals have 16 more penalties than their opponent and their 12 on Sunday didn't include the four the Seahawks declined. Most of them have been called on the offensive line, which isn't even functioning at a professional level, making quarterbacks in Arizona eligible for hazard pay.

Poor Kurt Warner couldn't last a month with this group. While he injured his groin on a play without contact, let it be known that he was scrambling for his life yet again. Meanwhile, their highly touted defense has been less than stellar. They are strangely soft in the middle and somehow left their pass rush back in the exhibition season.

Sadly, the only close game this team has played occurred because another megalomaniac - Rams coach Mike Martz - quit handing the ball to running back Steven Jackson.

"The thing I don't understand is, we've played seven games now going back to the exhibition season, and you would think we'd have an identity by now," fullback Obafemi Ayanbadejo said. "I'm not sure we have one."

It's going to take a really good coach to get the Cardinals out of this mess, and Green used to qualify. His record in Minnesota did not happen by accident, although his stable of assistants back then was far superior to his current support group of cronies.

Whatever, the Cardinals are moving backward when they should be moving forward. Instead of building momentum and a season-ticket base in Glendale, they are making people wonder why they voted for that stadium in the first place. And now comes a date in Mexico City, a goodwill trip at the expense of a home game that now seems like yet another botched decision.

So, a brief memo to the Cardinals:

Pack a little more resolve, and leave a couple scouts behind for the big game at Sun Devil Stadium. The way things are going, you'll soon have your choice between Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush. :thumbup:
[/font]

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
You may give him a thumbs down, but I agree with Bickley. Green has been determined to overhaul this entire team. Only problem is that the defense is better now and the offense is probably worse.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's right but didn't Shipp start and not Arrington? They were both in on the first play so I guess technically JJ started but Shipp got all the work until inexplicably he came out for a long stretch.

On radio they were speculating Shipp was injured and they were trying to clarify it but they never did, and then he came back in the game, so it appears he was simply removed which made no sense given the way he started.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
He's right but didn't Shipp start and not Arrington? They were both in on the first play so I guess technically JJ started but Shipp got all the work until inexplicably he came out for a long stretch.

On radio they were speculating Shipp was injured and they were trying to clarify it but they never did, and then he came back in the game, so it appears he was simply removed which made no sense given the way he started.

No doubt Greens brilliant idea.

Shipp obviously wasnt hurt. There was no mention of it. He sure seemd fine later in the game. He currently isnt on the injury report.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
No doubt Greens brilliant idea.

Shipp obviously wasnt hurt. There was no mention of it. He sure seemd fine later in the game. He currently isnt on the injury report.

Yeah on radio they were saying "he must be hurt Arrington is still in" I think it was a polite way of saying the way Shipp started there's no way he'd be on the bench if he were healthy.

I'm as big a JJ fan as there is here but even I want to see the guy with the hot hand playing and that was clearly Shipp.

Unfortunately in the Green era it's unlikely anybody on the team will explain stuff like this because if Shipp comes out and says he was benched for no reason, he'll be cut.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
You may give him a thumbs down, but I agree with Bickley. Green has been determined to overhaul this entire team. Only problem is that the defense is better now and the offense is probably worse.

Two thumbs up from me.

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't know about everyone else here but this Dennis Green quote offends me: "I don't think there is anybody that is more angry or disappointed than me. It would be absolutely impossible." NOTE: Denny you've only watched 19 games of it from the sidelines some of us season ticket holders & die hards have been seeing it for decades & trust me some of us are at least as disappointed! :mad:

OP
OP
Mrh182

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
Scott MS said:

I was giving a thumbs down to the way the Cards are playing

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
SunCityCarl: Good point...no one is more disgusted than those of us who year after year watch this team self-destruct.

For Green to say "no one is more angry and disappointed than I am" is disingenuous...why then doesn't he act like it on the sidelines instead of just standing alone in a stupor?

Every time the cameras panned over to Green, he neither looked angry or disappointed...he looked like he almost always does, unemotional and uninvolved.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Saying Green can't know how frustrated we are, but turning right around and saying you watch him and see he is uninterested and lacks anger is sort of hypocritical, don't you think?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Scott MS said:

If they're better the sure as hell have me fooled. No pressure on the QB and no ability to stop the run on a consistent basis

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Mitch said:
SunCityCarl: Good point...no one is more disgusted than those of us who year after year watch this team self-destruct.

For Green to say "no one is more angry and disappointed than I am" is disingenuous...why then doesn't he act like it on the sidelines instead of just standing alone in a stupor?

Every time the cameras panned over to Green, he neither looked angry or disappointed...he looked like he almost always does, unemotional and uninvolved.

So you want him to blow up on the sidelines, curse and throw things?

There are so many coaches in the NFL that down't blow up on the sidelines because they have the common decency and sense to keep things IN HOUSE. Are Bill Belicheck and Andy Reid 'uninvolved' because they aren't all rah rah on the sideline?

Jesus, all you people where clammering for him to take responsibility for the line and for the way the team is playing, then when he does so, he doesn't do it 'right'?

I can understand the frustration for the 0-3 start. But man, common sense and logic has certainly taken flight from this board recently.