Grant Hill has decided to re-sign, Suns will also sign free agent Channing Frye

Roca Dolla

BIRD CITY!
Reaction score
Grant Hill(notes) has decided to re-sign with Phoenix, and a large part of the decision is based on the belief that Steve Nash(notes) is close to reaching an agreement on a contract extension, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Hill has begun telling associates he’s staying with the Suns. Phoenix owner Robert Sarver, general manager Steve Kerr and coach Alvin Gentry met with Hill on Wednesday night and Thursday morning in Florida.

The Suns will also sign free agent Channing Frye(notes) to a two-year deal for $3.8 million, sources said. The second season is at Frye’s option.

The New York Knicks reportedly offered Hill the choice of a one-year, $5 million deal or a three-year, $10 million contract. Hill also had an offer from the Boston Celtics.Nevertheless, he’s believed to be comfortable with the direction of the Suns to re-sign there.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...F?slug=aw-hillsuns071009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns&
The terms of the Nash extension are unclear, although one source believes it is a three-year deal worth about $33 million.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Three additional years for Nash? Good grief. That would go until he's 39.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Wow 3 more years of Tony Parker having his way with the Phoenix Suns. Things are going to get ugly in Phoenix guys..

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not like the Suns are a contending team. Perhaps barely a playoff team. They do not even have their 2010 first round pick. If the Suns are not going anywhere it's nice to see a couple of classy players (Nash and Hill) retire with the Suns. The Suns could have used this opportunity to rebuild, but with Kerr doing the rebuilding, it's likely they would have come out worse. The Suns are a team that couldn't get a first round pick out of Shaq.

I'm awaiting the hopeful arrival of a new GM and perhaps a new owner before the Suns ship will be righted.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Wow...I love Nash, but at 3 more years for 11 per? Let's trot out the same turd sandwich that didn't make the playoffs last year, and see if another year of experience will be the key to success in a strengthened west.

The only bright side of this is that hopefully the current FO is long gone before we even can start sorting through this mess and rebuilding. At least 3 more years of mediocrity on the way, with nothing to build around if Amare leaves!

If this is followed up by a move to get Chandler it may make some short term sense, but if it means Sideshow Rob will be starting, it's going to be a long season.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Oh, and apologies to Mulli... :championship:

Guess Grant cares more about PT than a championship.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Wow...I love Nash, but at 3 more years for 11 per? Let's trot out the same turd sandwich that didn't make the playoffs last year, and see if another year of experience will be the key to success in a strengthened west.

The only bright side of this is that hopefully the current FO is long gone before we even can start sorting through this mess and rebuilding. At least 3 more years of mediocrity on the way, with nothing to build around if Amare leaves!

If this is followed up by a move to get Chandler it may make some short term sense, but if it means Sideshow Rob will be starting, it's going to be a long season.

I keep hearing reports than Chandler is essentially a shell of his former self, and Hilton Armstrong is about to take over his starting C spot. So maybe it's time to start looking elsewhere.

I don't mind extending Nash, keeping Amare, and letting Hill return. This is a team that almost went to the playoffs last year despite a horrible system change, Amare getting injured, etc.

If the other option is to let Amare go for GS's junk, I'd rather just re-tool a bit and try to make a run in the playoffs. I'd almost suggest completely ignoring last year. That season was a complete mess. Let everyone come back healthy under a familiar system and see what happens.

silverslugger

Reaction score
What will the Celtics do now since they lost out on Hill? San Antonio Signed McDyess so I'm assusming Glen Davis isn't going there. Could he return to Boston? or Powe?

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You've got to take the good with the bad. Nash still brings a lot more to the team in terms of scoring, running our offense and mentoring the young players than what his defense costs us. Every team needs veteran leadership, regardless whether it's trying to win a title or rebuilding, and I can't think of two better players in that role than Nash and Grant Hill. Or would you rather have Amare and J-Rich in those roles?

Also, the Suns could replace Nash with the greatest defensive point guard in the league and it still wouldn't be much help against players like Parker, because some players in this league simply cannot be guarded one on one, and you still need capable interior defenders. This is why I think the Suns really need to go after Chandler now. Or do they think that the tag-team of Lopez and Frye will be enough?

As for the rumored extension, I was hoping he'd take something around $27-$30. Kidd, 36, reportedly received a $25 extension, so Nash's contract would average about $2.7M more per season. Still a paycut though, and we don't know if the last year is team option.

I do hope that this is not just Kerr and Sarver's lame attempt to keep fans in the seats, and that they actually do have a plan to address our gaping hole in the middle with more than Frye, now that Shaq has been sent packing for next to nothing.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I keep hearing reports than Chandler is essentially a shell of his former self, and Hilton Armstrong is about to take over his starting C spot. So maybe it's time to start looking elsewhere.

He certainly looked the part in the playoffs last year. I am going off the wishful thinking that the Suns training staff that has turned McDyess, Shaq and Grant Hill into productive players can somehow bring him back to where he was. Seeing our dreadful alternatives at the 4-5 spot, he seems worth the risk.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Does that mean that after Frye the Suns would still have about 2 mill of the MLE to use? If they do, do you guys think that would be enough to go after Wilcox and/or would the Suns still want to go after him? Heard he was on our FA list we would go after but havent heard much past that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to azcentral in an article by Paul Coro dated 7-10-09, the Suns are looking at a two year extension for Nash.

A recruiting phone call from Steve Nash helped the Suns' cause in luring Hill back after New York had offered the 36-year-old swingman the option of $5 million for one year or $10 million for three years. It meant more because Nash, Hill's good friend, appears to be close to coming to terms on a two-year extension with the Suns.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/07/10/20090710clarkonline0711.html

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

I don't mind extending Nash, keeping Amare, and letting Hill return. This is a team that almost went to the playoffs last year despite a horrible system change, Amare getting injured, etc.

If the other option is to let Amare go for GS's junk, I'd rather just re-tool a bit and try to make a run in the playoffs. I'd almost suggest completely ignoring last year. That season was a complete mess. Let everyone come back healthy under a familiar system and see what happens.

Future is bleak on Chandler, which is why I don't want to trade anything for him and take his 2 year $25 mil contract. He had two major operations on his left ankle and toe over the offseason. It may take him a good 4-6 months to return to full strength. IMO, I don't see a package worth putting together to take that risk.

BTW: Im glad Hill decided to stay in PHX. He was part of the solution and not the problem last season and surprisingly the most healthy Sun of the bunch. And the Frye deal helps for depth. This is a biased statement because Frye's tall ass sat in front of me in class at UofA, but I think he can be a useful cog coming off the bench.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
and this

Sarver said a Yahoo Sports report that Nash would sign a three-year, $33 million contract extension is incorrect. He said the Suns and Nash have discussed a two-year extension – a source said Nash would receive about $11 million per season – and that the talks are “progressing.”

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does that mean that after Frye the Suns would still have about 2 mill of the MLE to use? If they do, do you guys think that would be enough to go after Wilcox and/or would the Suns still want to go after him? Heard he was on our FA list we would go after but havent heard much past that.

That's my understanding of the MLE. I like Wilcox a lot. He was in same draft class as Amare. He might command more money so I don't know if the Suns will go after him. It would seem if the Suns were interested in him they would have gone after him first. Wilcox could have played the 4/5.

It will be interesting to how the Suns use the contracts of Pavlovic and Wallace.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
11 Million per season is too much for Nash. At least we know one direction the Suns are moving in.......

keeping the Suns streak alive for a couple more years of having one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
11 Million per season is too much for Nash. At least we know one direction the Suns are moving in.......

keeping the Suns streak alive for a couple more years of having one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA.

The Suns aren't getting rid of Nash.

Move on.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looks like Hill's decision to stay has been confirmed. 2-year deal with second year player option.
Grant Hill is staying with the Phoenix Suns.

His agent, Lon Babby, said on Friday that Hill decided to remain in Phoenix rather than sign with the Boston Celtics or New York Knicks.

Babby said during a conference call that the deal is for two years, the second at Hill’s option, and he will be paid $3 million in the first year. Hill has played the last two years for the Suns and averaged 12 points in 2008-09 while playing in all 82 games for the first time in his 14-year career.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Does that mean that after Frye the Suns would still have about 2 mill of the MLE to use? If they do, do you guys think that would be enough to go after Wilcox and/or would the Suns still want to go after him?

It's Hill that will cut into the MLE, not Frye. Reports are that Frye will be signed with the biannual exception. We don't know what Hill's getting, but it's probably at least $3 million in the first year. That would leave ballpark $2.5 million for another player. Wilcox would be a good target, but a defensive big man would be better. Is anyone left?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns aren't getting rid of Nash.

Move on.

Thanks for stating the obvious. The Suns are not getting any better on defense at the PG position either. I can move on when that is no longer the case.