Grand Theft Auto IV

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using PS3. If i go to "new game" my single player game will be lost.
I'm a newbie to the on-line thing but i had no problem w/"Resistance FOM."
There's nothing in the menu to jump "on-line."

Save your single-player game first. GTA (either console) doesnt use normal menus to get online. It is crappy.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using PS3. If i go to "new game" my single player game will be lost.
I'm a newbie to the on-line thing but i had no problem w/"Resistance FOM."
There's nothing in the menu to jump "on-line."

your cell phone has multiplayer, push up on the dpad, select multiplayer and pick a game.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, after painstakingly figuring out how to access the multiplayer games i quickly found out that i suck at most of 'em. I did pretty good in the racing games but i tried the deathmatch thing and i felt like a fluffy little rabbit stuck in a field of wolves. Granted i only played a few matches but it's a little disorienting and i have ALOT of work to do there. I got owned....and quickly. I've heard much about the "lag" and some of the problems occurring during on-line play for this game & i'll tell ya, it looked great & worked pretty smoothly.
Could be that I just have a strong DSL connection.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thu...atches-grand-theft-auto-iv-change-list-inside

• Fixed an issue where players were unable to enter or exit vehicles in GTA Race.
  • Fixed an issue where scripted vehicles were causing games to unexpectedly crash.
  • Improved reliability and frequency of PS3 online leaderboard updates.
  • Fixed a rare hang some players encountered when moving from a Race or GTA Race lobby into gameplay.
  • Fixed a hang that would occur when players were switching teams during the countdown in the lobby.
  • Fixed an issue where players were able to get ridiculously high scores from Cops 'n Crooks matches.
  • Changed GTA Race and Race so that the last player remaining always receives a reward of $250.
  • Fixed an issue where spectating players would prevent the game from finishing.
  • Fixed an issue where players were unable to spectate in Round 2 of Cops 'n Crooks games.
  • Changed countdown timer in lobby so that it no longer resets when new players join a game.
  • Changed the kick option so that kicked players are no longer brought back to single player.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thu...atches-grand-theft-auto-iv-change-list-inside

• Fixed an issue where players were unable to enter or exit vehicles in GTA Race.
  • Fixed an issue where scripted vehicles were causing games to unexpectedly crash.
  • Improved reliability and frequency of PS3 online leaderboard updates.
  • Fixed a rare hang some players encountered when moving from a Race or GTA Race lobby into gameplay.
  • Fixed a hang that would occur when players were switching teams during the countdown in the lobby.
  • Fixed an issue where players were able to get ridiculously high scores from Cops 'n Crooks matches.
  • Changed GTA Race and Race so that the last player remaining always receives a reward of $250.
  • Fixed an issue where spectating players would prevent the game from finishing.
  • Fixed an issue where players were unable to spectate in Round 2 of Cops 'n Crooks games.
  • Changed countdown timer in lobby so that it no longer resets when new players join a game.
    Changed the kick option so that kicked players are no longer brought back to single player.

Huge update for that reason alone.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here we go...

NY Post said:
VIDEO VILLAINS COME TO LIFE
COPS: GTA4 INSPIRED CRIME SPREE
By KIERAN CROWLEY
An image from Grand Theft Auto IV

Last updated: 5:06 pm
June 26, 2008

A gang of six teens decided to take Grand Theft Auto IV from the television screens to the streets of Long Island, with a two-hour crime spree meant to copy the game's violent hero, cops said.

The game-crazed youth's real-life robbery romp featured such staples of the mega-popular game as a mugging, several break-ins and an attempted car-jacking at an intersection in tony Garden City, police said.

"They decided they were going to go out to commit robberies and emulate the [lead] character Nico Belic in the particularly violent video game Grand Theft Auto,' said Nassau County Police Detective Lt. Raymond Cote. "These teens have difficulty separating fact from fiction, fantasy from reality . . . It was quite alarming.'

The rampage started at 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, when four of the teenagers - Brandon Cruz, 15, Gurnoor Singh, 14, Samuel Philip, 16, and Jaspreet Singh, 17, - were sitting in Memorial Park in New Hyde Park looking for something to do, cops said.

Cops said that they decided to act out the game, in which players live out the life a Belic, an Eastern European criminal who uses murder and robbery to rise to the top of the underworld in "Liberty City,' which bears a close similarity of New York City.

"They were bored and they decided this was a good idea,' Cote said.

According to cops, the boys first mugged a man at a bus stop near the park, beat him and knocked out some teeth. They then broke into some sheds and garages, stole some bats and crowbars and met up with a few more teens to continue the spree.

The six then attempted to stage some carjackings in Garden City. But it was game over when one of their would-be victims - a 23-year-old woman in a 2008 BMW - called the cops, who quickly arrested them.

All four of the original teen plotters were arrested, along with the two youths who joined them, Stephen Attard, 18, of New Hyde Park and Dylan Laird, 17, who was visiting Long Island from Southborough, Mass. They were all charged with first-degree robbery, except for Jaspreet Singh, who was charged with possession of stolen property. The other charges were pending.

Police would not say specifically how they knew that the teens crimes were motivated by Grand Theft Auto, and not by some other motive. They said they discovered it during their investigation.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A gang of six teens decided to take Grand Theft Auto IV from the television screens to the streets of Long Island, with a two-hour crime spree meant to copy the game's violent hero, cops said.
Memo to parents of out-of-control teens....Good job:raccoon:Keep up the hard work:mad:

benny

Reaction score
I absolutely love this game I was on it constantly til my 360 fried, maybe the excess playing of this and COD4 fried it lol

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IF, there are some people who are still having online issues, try the following (PS3 edition):

1) Wired over wireless. A lot of connections are getting dropped by wireless networks, I've got an older linksys router that is up and down at best.

2) If wired isn't do-able, try setting up you system as a static IP. This makes sure that your system always is assigned the same IP address. Some games, like CoD4 require you to open ports. If applicable, you can open the DMZ function (yup, demilitarized zone) on your router if it's IP specific. That opens all ports at that address to the internet.

3) Programs like http://www.opendns.com/ have worked very well for lots of people who are having trouble online. It's a program that helps streamline stuff.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure how to tell how deep I am in the game, but I do know I've made some choices I'd like to take back. Perhaps one day I'll play again and make other choices, but I like how I actually care about the game enough to regret choices at all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard