Getting an offensive lineman at #8

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by CSDFan, Mar 26, 2020.

1. BurqueCardFan

BurqueCardFan Registered

BPA isn't based on need. It means "best player available". That means you take the best prospect available regardless of need. If there is a pro bowl type player available, you don't pass him up because you think you don't "need" him. I would say Young, Burrow, Tua, Brown, Simmons, Okudah, Lamb, Juedy. Possibly even Kinlaw. These are all prospects I would consider BPA ahead of the OL guys. And that doesn't take into the fact that Herbert could end up in the top 7 if someone falls in love, thus pushing another guy down to #8.
    If there was an OL prospect like Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden, then sure I would be down to take him. But none of these OL guys are head and shoulders above the rest. My take is we should trade down if we want OL and not reach at #8.

2. BurqueCardFan

BurqueCardFan Registered

If Wirfs and Becton go in the top 7, then we should be sitting pretty with one of the defensive studs falling to us.

Harry, Cardsfaninlouky and Minski like this.
  3. AirRaid

AirRaid Free Agent

Exactly. Assuming two QBs go one of Brown, Simmons or Okudah are there and you turn that card in the second you’re on the clock.

Solar7 likes this.
  4. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

It's not insignificant that both RTs and our RG are on one year deals. This is why I love Wirfs so much because a guy with that athleticism can play guard too.

DevonCardsFan and daves like this.
  5. CSDFan

CSDFan Registered

I don't really see draft prospect grades yet to directly compare but looking at Sporting News.. The top rated prospects ratings are below.

1. Chase Young Edge
    2. Isiah Simmons LB
    3. Joe Burrow QB
    4. Derrick Brown DT
    5. Jeff Okudah CB
    6 Tua Tagovailoa QB
    7. Jedrick Wills OT
    8. CeeCee Lam WR
    9. Jerry Jeudy WR
    10. AJ. Epensea Edge
    11. Javon Kinlaw DT
    12. Andrew Thomas OT
    13 Justin Herbert QB
    14. Tristan Wirfs..
    15. Kristian Fulton
    16. Mekji Becton OT
    17 Henry Ruggs WR

I stopped at all the relevant players needed to be looked at for a #8 pick..
    I don't know, alot of you guys want to draft Wirfs 14. or Becton at 16.. It doesn't seem like the value is there if Simmons is still on the board ranked as the second best player in the draft or maybe even CeeCee Lam. If there really is a debate about who is the best OT it would be best to trade down and get more picks, of course it depends on who really wants to trade up which I think is becoming less common.

If you could really believe the quality would fall this way it would be great to know the gap between each players. It you believed this one you would be happy with Wills if Simmons was off the board especially if the grading gap is huge.

Basically I think you would give an Olineman an advantage but not a massive one based on need.. If Simmons was rated a 96 and Wirfs was the first available Olinemen and he had an 88 grade.. I think that's a pretty big gap.. Maybe 96 vs 92? I don't exactly how accurate those metrics are though..

6. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Wills might be the best of the three.

WisconsinCard likes this.
  7. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

Scouts hate Wills. Hate him

8. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Really? I haven't seen that or heard it.

9. CSDFan

CSDFan Registered

I was just going to mention that video, I know some of the video might have been cherry picked to make his point but Wills looks better. I think fundamentals might be more important. Wasn't it Orlando Pace who had a terrible combine but always showed up on game day?

10. waterboy

waterboy Free Agent

I would take BPA over o-lineman. We are jinxed when we pick 0-linemen in the first round.

11. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

12. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

So because we haven't picked well at OL in the past, and our OL still sucks, we should continue to ignore OL...

...bold move, Cotton.

Goldfield and CardinalCovfefe like this.
  13. CardinalCovfefe

CardinalCovfefe Registered

Are you suggesting Wills is incompetent or unable to play LT? He's the highest graded tackle at NFL.com and nobody can tell me he could not play on the left side. We do have a LT and a RT, and contract runs out on RT after this season. I'd say if the Cards want an OT, Wills would be a wise choice.

14. CardinalCovfefe

I agree. It really looks like one of Okudah, Simmons or Brown lands in our lap. Thing is they ALL play defense and exactly half of fans do NOT want the #1 pick to go toward a D player, regardless of the fact the Az D in 2019 was the problem.

Goldfield likes this.
  15. CardinalCovfefe

Our 2nd pick is in the 3rd round, and unless there is a trade in the 1st round, giving us a 2nd I would be most inclined to take Raekwon Davis
    in the 3rd unless they take D. Brown in the first. We can't play Houston Oilers football. There has to be a solid D to push the division and progress into late season.