Getting an offensive lineman at #8

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
If Wirfs & Becton are gone by 8, there’s no way I take an OT, trade down.

Are you suggesting Wills is incompetent or unable to play LT? He's the highest graded tackle at NFL.com and nobody can tell me he could not play on the left side. We do have a LT and a RT, and contract runs out on RT after this season. I'd say if the Cards want an OT, Wills would be a wise choice.

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
It may be a time to pick a tackle but not at #8. They are in position to go BPA at #8 and that most likely is not OL. There are 8-10 guys who are better overall talents than OL, IMO.

I agree. It really looks like one of Okudah, Simmons or Brown lands in our lap. Thing is they ALL play defense and exactly half of fans do NOT want the #1 pick to go toward a D player, regardless of the fact the Az D in 2019 was the problem.

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
I would use our second pick on a guard no matter what direction we go in the first

Our 2nd pick is in the 3rd round, and unless there is a trade in the 1st round, giving us a 2nd I would be most inclined to take Raekwon Davis
in the 3rd unless they take D. Brown in the first. We can't play Houston Oilers football. There has to be a solid D to push the division and progress into late season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. Having Hopkins in the fold makes this draft a lot less scary. We would almost HAVE to draft a WR in round 1, and then the OT issue would be left unaddressed.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Wow. Having Hopkins in the fold makes this draft a lot less scary. We would almost HAVE to draft a WR in round 1, and then the OT issue would be left unaddressed.
I don't think the WR situation was as dire as you're making it out to be. If Hopkins wasn't made available, we could have found other upgrades, and the draft is rich with players to fill the outside needs we have.

Of course, getting Hopkins was a no-brainer, and one of the best moves this franchise has ever made.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Scouts hate Wills. Hate him
I have never heard or read about one hating him, what I've read is that he plays too stiff, doesn't have great bending techniques. I do know this about him. He played against the best DL's in all of college football in the SEC. That being said, Alabama OL'men haven't been world beaters in the NFL for whatever reason? A few have but not many. It may just be a system thing? Maybe they played better collectively as a unit & not as much individuality? Iowa for whatever reason always produces top notch OL'men. That's not to say Wirfs is better than Wills, I have no idea really. I think unless the player we absolutely covet is there at #8, or Simmons, we try & trade down. Get the 2nd round pick back possibly, then take the BPA. WR, OT, DL etc etc. Derrick Brown would also be a nice choice but if we trade down, he will be gone. Highly unlikely we take him after signing Phillips. This draft will be interesting for sure. I'm ready for it.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think unless the player we absolutely covet is there at #8, or Simmons, we try & trade down. Get the 2nd round pick back possibly, then take the BPA. WR, OT, DL etc etc. Derrick Brown would also be a nice choice but if we trade down, he will be gone. Highly unlikely we take him after signing Phillips. This draft will be interesting for sure. I'm ready for it.
How is it unlikely we take Brown after signing Phillips compared to unlikely we'll take a WR after acquiring DeAndre freaking Hopkins?

We have way more need on the DL than at WR.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Is it fair to say, that with the signing of Marcus Gilbert, along with Justin Murray, that we now have two serviceable RT's but only one LT? So if we go OL at #8, should we be targeting a LT? And I understand our two RT's aren't great, but I'd feel a whole lot better if Gilbert goes down than if Humphries is lost.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Voch Lombardi - Wirfs is #4 OT and #1 OG

Keep hearing people say "once he gets better coaching"...how much better can you get than 3 years at Iowa?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is it fair to say, that with the signing of Marcus Gilbert, along with Justin Murray, that we now have two serviceable RT's but only one LT? So if we go OL at #8, should we be targeting a LT? And I understand our two RT's aren't great, but I'd feel a whole lot better if Gilbert goes down than if Humphries is lost.

Thomas is a trade down option, even if he was previously the best rated lineman and most polished to declare he is actually a bit underrated
He played against the best pass rushers in college and has the ability to play both tackle positions

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Our 2nd pick is in the 3rd round, and unless there is a trade in the 1st round, giving us a 2nd I would be most inclined to take Raekwon Davis
in the 3rd unless they take D. Brown in the first. We can't play Houston Oilers football. There has to be a solid D to push the division and progress into late season.

I do not want us to trade down in the first because I see no scenario where trading out of the first and missing out on top ten talent or rather top five positional talent due to QB selecting by other teams warrants gaining a second or most likely a third round pick. I rather have a stud player than getting two 'good' players with a higher bust potential. I like the guard talent in the third which is where they usually can be found with some success... well, for most franchises they can lol

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
BPA isn't based on need. It means "best player available". That means you take the best prospect available regardless of need. If there is a pro bowl type player available, you don't pass him up because you think you don't "need" him. I would say Young, Burrow, Tua, Brown, Simmons, Okudah, Lamb, Juedy. Possibly even Kinlaw. These are all prospects I would consider BPA ahead of the OL guys. And that doesn't take into the fact that Herbert could end up in the top 7 if someone falls in love, thus pushing another guy down to #8.
If there was an OL prospect like Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden, then sure I would be down to take him. But none of these OL guys are head and shoulders above the rest. My take is we should trade down if we want OL and not reach at #8.

Does that mean if Joe Burrow or Tua Tagovailoa are available, Cardinals should take them?

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I do not want us to trade down in the first because I see no scenario where trading out of the first and missing out on top ten talent or rather top five positional talent due to QB selecting by other teams warrants gaining a second or most likely a third round pick. I rather have a stud player than getting two 'good' players with a higher bust potential. I like the guard talent in the third which is where they usually can be found with some success... well, for most franchises they can lol

you mean like our 2003 draft?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How is it unlikely we take Brown after signing Phillips compared to unlikely we'll take a WR after acquiring DeAndre freaking Hopkins?

We have way more need on the DL than at WR.
It's unlikely because it's defense & we just signed a high priced player at his position. We all know how much KK wants 4 elite WR's to play 10 personnel more, drafting a WR in the first round is a lot more likely. KK is known for offense & that will win out in most scenarios. If Larry was only 28 i wouldn't be saying this lol. I'm all for Derrick Brown trust me, he's the guy I've wanted all along, just don't think it will happen. I also think Simmons is a no brainer, too much talent to pass up.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's unlikely because it's defense & we just signed a high priced player at his position. We all know how much KK wants 4 elite WR's to play 10 personnel more, drafting a WR in the first round is a lot more likely. KK is known for offense & that will win out in most scenarios. If Larry was only 28 i wouldn't be saying this lol. I'm all for Derrick Brown trust me, he's the guy I've wanted all along, just don't think it will happen. I also think Simmons is a no brainer, too much talent to pass up.
Where has KK ever said he needs four elite WRs to make this offense run?

If any coach ever told me that a #1 overall QB with DeAndre Hopkins, Larry Fitzgerald, and two second round WRs didn't have enough weapons to make my offense run, I would fire him on the spot.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If any coach ever told me that a #1 overall QB with DeAndre Hopkins, Larry Fitzgerald, and two second round WRs didn't have enough weapons to make my offense run, I would fire him on the spot.
You’d fire Kingsbury if he farted wrong.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Are you suggesting Wills is incompetent or unable to play LT? He's the highest graded tackle at NFL.com and nobody can tell me he could not play on the left side. We do have a LT and a RT, and contract runs out on RT after this season. I'd say if the Cards want an OT, Wills would be a wise choice.
Different talent evaluators often see players differently. I don't know anyone who’s right 100% of the time. I’m just giving my assessment. However, I’m not alone in it. I’ve posted the details several times. If you’re interested use the search function.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

& how do we know he wants to run more 10 personnel?

I think what we seen ever since the Bengals game(a lot more 11/12 personnel) is more indicative of what we’re going to see him run in the future than just flat out 10 personnel like we did the first few games of the season.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kliff is a very creative play designer.

You have more ways to be creative in 11/12 personnel than you do 10.

We’ll still lead the league in 10 personnel formations, but’s it’s not going to be astronomically high as it was the first couple games of the season.