Getting an offensive lineman at #8

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It sounds like a good idea but is OL one of the most difficult to assess when it comes to their success in NFL? It seems like the Cardinals have never really hit on O-line in the 1st (I think Humphries is just servisible) It seems like O-linemen taken a little later almost have as good of odds working out.

I think I would choose Simmons, and if not there then try to trade down a little bit but I'm not so sure there would be any takers.

I do like best available player unless there is a big gap in player ratings.

I do think that O-line is the second most position to QB because if you don't have a good O-line you can get your most valuable position (QB) hurt. If you have a so-so defense it usually doesn't as big of a chain reaction as a bad O-line I believe. Maybe because of the uncertainty of O-lineman in the draft it would be best to trade draft picks to a team with a good Olineman? Of course we're about out of cap space now..

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
As an NFL team, (or I guess in any business), you can't just say "well we didn't succeed here so we're never going to try to fix it."

The fact of the matter is, most of your elite guys come from the first round on the OL. And this team is never going to get better until we address it. Great offensive linemen rarely come free from teams or are available in trade. Eventually you have to buck up, evaluate the right one, and go get him.

OL is really hard to assess these days because of the prevalence of spread and air raid offenses.

I like Simmons too, but man, if this isn't the time to take a tackle, when is it gonna be?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
IMO we have put ourselves in a position where we have no glaring needs so we can just take the best player available. That could mean Brown, Simmons, Okudah, Wills, Thomas or even Lamb or Jeudy. We have also put ourselves in a position that we can afford to trade down for more draft capital and then take the best player left after the trade down.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim has to add with the first 4 picks a tackle and an interior lineman

Last edited:

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I only would be happy with OT at 8 if we know for sure he is good enough to start immediately and is better than what we already have. If it is more of a draft him and let him compete for the job, then just wait and take a Lucas Niang or a Saahdiq Charles type and let them compete with who we already have.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As an NFL team, (or I guess in any business), you can't just say "well we didn't succeed here so we're never going to try to fix it."

The fact of the matter is, most of your elite guys come from the first round on the OL. And this team is never going to get better until we address it. Great offensive linemen rarely come free from teams or are available in trade. Eventually you have to buck up, evaluate the right one, and go get him.

OL is really hard to assess these days because of the prevalence of spread and air raid offenses.

I like Simmons too, but man, if this isn't the time to take a tackle, when is it gonna be?

It may be a time to pick a tackle but not at #8. They are in position to go BPA at #8 and that most likely is not OL. There are 8-10 guys who are better overall talents than OL, IMO.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You dont draft a RT at 8, Keim said you add a position that doesnt hit free agency, a RT hahaha its Murray and Gilbert, Humphries at LT, he going best available and a RT doesnt fo at 8

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It may be a time to pick a tackle but not at #8. They are in position to go BPA at #8 and that most likely is not OL. There are 8-10 guys who are better overall talents than OL, IMO.
Okudah Simmons young are better
Lamb is better but not a need now
Then can u list me who is better instead a top tackle at 8?

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Okudah Simmons young are better
Lamb is better but not a need now
Then can u list me who is better instead a top tackle at 8?

BPA isn't based on need. It means "best player available". That means you take the best prospect available regardless of need. If there is a pro bowl type player available, you don't pass him up because you think you don't "need" him. I would say Young, Burrow, Tua, Brown, Simmons, Okudah, Lamb, Juedy. Possibly even Kinlaw. These are all prospects I would consider BPA ahead of the OL guys. And that doesn't take into the fact that Herbert could end up in the top 7 if someone falls in love, thus pushing another guy down to #8.
If there was an OL prospect like Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden, then sure I would be down to take him. But none of these OL guys are head and shoulders above the rest. My take is we should trade down if we want OL and not reach at #8.

AirRaid

Rookie
Reaction score
If Wirfs and Becton go in the top 7, then we should be sitting pretty with one of the defensive studs falling to us.

Exactly. Assuming two QBs go one of Brown, Simmons or Okudah are there and you turn that card in the second you’re on the clock.

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't really see draft prospect grades yet to directly compare but looking at Sporting News.. The top rated prospects ratings are below.

1. Chase Young Edge
2. Isiah Simmons LB
3. Joe Burrow QB
4. Derrick Brown DT
5. Jeff Okudah CB
6 Tua Tagovailoa QB
7. Jedrick Wills OT
8. CeeCee Lam WR
9. Jerry Jeudy WR
10. AJ. Epensea Edge
11. Javon Kinlaw DT
12. Andrew Thomas OT
13 Justin Herbert QB
14. Tristan Wirfs..
15. Kristian Fulton
16. Mekji Becton OT
17 Henry Ruggs WR

I stopped at all the relevant players needed to be looked at for a #8 pick..
I don't know, alot of you guys want to draft Wirfs 14. or Becton at 16.. It doesn't seem like the value is there if Simmons is still on the board ranked as the second best player in the draft or maybe even CeeCee Lam. If there really is a debate about who is the best OT it would be best to trade down and get more picks, of course it depends on who really wants to trade up which I think is becoming less common.

If you could really believe the quality would fall this way it would be great to know the gap between each players. It you believed this one you would be happy with Wills if Simmons was off the board especially if the grading gap is huge.

Basically I think you would give an Olineman an advantage but not a massive one based on need.. If Simmons was rated a 96 and Wirfs was the first available Olinemen and he had an 88 grade.. I think that's a pretty big gap.. Maybe 96 vs 92? I don't exactly how accurate those metrics are though..

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was just going to mention that video, I know some of the video might have been cherry picked to make his point but Wills looks better. I think fundamentals might be more important. Wasn't it Orlando Pace who had a terrible combine but always showed up on game day?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose