George Boone, Part 3

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Card’em mentioned yet another Boone disaster. The LA Trib, “STL Pulls Off the Biggest Surprise of Draft Day.” That was the headline announcing the Cards selected Kelly Stouffer with the 6th pick in 1987. Like other George Boone selections this one is the beginning of another narrative of the Boone legend. This was another selection most scouts placed in round 2. In the 2 1/2 collegiate seasons Stouffer started, Stouffer threw 41 touchdown passes, but only 7 as a senior, when he had his only winning season, 6-5

He only got selected because Boone convinced Bidwill that Stouffer would sign for second round money. Therein hangs the tale. Stouffer proceeded to select Michael Blatt as his agent. He was known as a difficult negotiator who was fine with his clients holding out. He didn’t get the Boone memo that Stouffer would sign for second round money. The Cards offered $1.3 million, Blatt asked for $3.2 million. Negotiations drug on. Stouffer couldn’t believe a deal wasn’t getting done. Against his agent's advice, Stouffer picked up the phone in the middle of his holdout and dialed owner Bill Bidwill. Stouffer wanted to hear from Bidwill himself why the contract the Cardinals offered the No. 6 pick a contract that fell short of the league standard for a QB. Bidwill replied by insulting Stouffer and telling the franchise's supposed quarterback of the future he "owned" him. “He even said he'd burn me and make sure I never played in the league if I didn't sign. I got off the phone and told my agent I will not ever play for that man."

Aside from this craziness many also believe Stouffer was selected to put pressure on Neil Lomax so he would re-sign for a reasonable amount. Lomax said of the pick, “It’s looking more and more like the Cardinals don’t need my services anymore.” Ironically Lomax only lasted until 1988 due to an arthritic hip.

Stouffer on the other hand did indeed sit out the season. Faced with losing him back into the 1988 draft, the Cards frantically searched for a trade. A miracle occurred. Somehow the Seahawks had fallen in love with Stouffer. (I have no evidence of collusion but shortly thereafter Blatt bought 10% ownership in the Seahawks). Cleverly Boone asked for Kenny Easley, who most scouts believed was in severe decline due to injuries. In fact when Seattle agreed Easley failed his Cardinal physical and never played another down in the NFL.

The trade was reworked. Seattle decided to give up a 1st round pick (in 1989) and two 5th round picks (in 1988 and 1989) for the right to sign Stouffer. Joe Wolf was the 17th selection with that 1989 1st. He had a long but not distinguished career with the Cards. Then incredibly Seattle signed Stouffer for $3.1 million, mostly because of fear about Dave Krieg’s health. Their fears were realized when Krieg was hurt and Kemp played so poorly Stouffer got to start. There was no Hollywood finish.

In his 6 starts he went 3-3. That proved to be the high point of his career. Those 3 wins exceeded the total of his next and final 3 years. He was out of the NFL after those 4 years. Like all too many of Boone’s selections his stay in the NFL was brief and underwhelming.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how much Seattle was enamored with him to give up that much real estate.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My knowledge of Boone was mainly anecdotal. Some guy (I don't recall who) with insiders' info advised me that, when evaluating talent, there were two types of players - (1) Boone guys and (2) non-Boone guys (the assumption being we would never accumulate any talent with Boone making the calls & should avoid those guys like the plague).

That plus the snarky comment that "The Cardinals' Scouting Dept. consisted mainly of Street & Smith."

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am getting good at confusing people. Part 1 was a response in the thread titled A Few Thoughts on the Dollar Bill Years. Part 2 was Boone Thoughts as Promised. Sorry! I guess the quarantine is getting to me.

I thought maybe you are a fan of the Traveling Wilburys :)

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remember the Stouffer pick really well. I was watching the draft with a couple of friends. One was a Cowboy fan, the other an Eagles fan. I was living in College Park, MD at the time. We were only a few years removed from the Clyde Duncan debacle, and the 1st 2 picks the year before were Anthony Bell (6th pick also) & John Lee. Needless to say, I was preparing for yet another disaster. I remember just sitting there with my mouth wide open in dismay when they announced the pick. My buddies burst out laughing as the announcers were fumbling around for details on Stouffer. Literally, no one could see that pick coming. I remember one the announcers saying something to the effect of "Well folks, that's why the Cardinals are the Cardinals".