GCU to the WAC?

HooverDam

Reaction score
So you may have seen, but Bob Young wrote a piece on AzCentral about GCU possibly going to the WAC:

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/BobYoung/170270

I was a bit surprised by this, I thought their destiny was the WCC, to play other small religious schools like St Mary's & Gonzaga and be focused on hoops.

But if GCU does want to try to get into the WAC, shouldn't NAU make that push as well? The WAC is falling apart and needs 6 football playing members to remain a conference. NAU would need to upgrade some of its facilities, including adding more seats to the Skydome, but I'd bet the NCAA would give an exemption in order to try to save the WAC.

It seems like the WAC adding both GCU & NAU makes more sense than just GCU. They'd make a good traveling pair/road trip, just like the paired schools in the Pac 12.

Thoughts?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I'd love it. Then I could see my alma mater when they roll through town (NMSU).

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WAC doesn't sponsor football any more.

NAU would be foolish to leave a stable conference for one on it's death throes.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GCU just isn't on par academically with the WCC schools. It never seemed like a match to me. Talk to me if/when they open a medical school with a teaching hospital, something the state will never allow ASU to do in this town in spite of the need.

GCU moving to the WAC would be a disaster. They need stability and not get too big for their britches while they're in transition.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
something the state will never allow ASU to do in this town in spite of the need.

Luckily it sounds like ASU has finally found a workaround. They're going to partner with Mayo Clinic, so Mayo will have the Medical school, but it'll be some sort of dual enrollment w/ people at ASU.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
They would be the first for-profit school in a major/mid-tier conference if this happened, yes?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn