GCU Basketball 2013-14

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Damn, I'm a trend setter today. I start the UA Hoops thread and every other schools' fan base follows suit.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
GCU loses by 3 to Loyola Marymount

78-75

Next up are the Toreros

Good, I hope they lose all their games. The way they treated Russ Pennell was horrible and I just can't root for them.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
GCU hoops making noise.

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/...ersity-antelopes-grab-division-i-by-the-horns

On Saturday, November 16th, the Grand Canyon University Antelopes hosted their first-ever regular season basketball game as a member of NCAA Division I. The atmosphere definitely did not disappoint.

From about 20 minutes before the game, all the way through the end of a Lopes 50-point blowout of Western New Mexico, GCU Arena was rocking, and set the tone for the basketball program moving forward.

"We've got momentum now," said head coach Dan Majerle. "We've got a following. This is going to be a hard place for anyone to play if we continue to get this support, and I know we will."

The game marks the second-consecutive sellout for GCU, and was the largest crowd in program history with 4,917 people in attendance.

"The students have been great," continued Majerle. "The university's doing a great job of making this an event, not just a basketball game, and it's been a lot of fun."

Not just the students were in attendance though. Charles Barkley, Ralph Sampson, Oliver Miller, PJ Tucker, and Jerry Colangelo were all in attendance.

"I text Charles, and for him to show up and take the time meant a lot to us. I'm sure everyone loves seeing him," said Majerle.

"Another great crowd, and I think it was important to get a win, not only for the crowd but for the players."

"It's a momentum thing. It does a lot of good for the guys."

The players felt it too, including graduate transfer from New Mexico Demetrius Walker.

"Tonight was great," said Walker. "The fans were amazing, the student section was amazing. I really feel like this definitely compares to New Mexico, "The Pit"."

"I'm calling this 'The Baby Pit'."

"The atmosphere is unreal," added center Killian Larson. "Last year and the year before, the fans just kind of clapped. But this year, everyone's getting into it. They're doing a really great job."

Walker also played at cross-town Arizona State for a season after finishing high school at St. Mary's in Phoenix.

"This is a way better atmosphere than Arizona State. Arizona State doesn't even compare to this."

Some big names in attendance.

Hope this is the start of something special for GCU.

OP
OP
FArting

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
GCU wins 2 out of 3 in the Global Sports Hoops Showcase

Lost to Utah 79-54
Beat Savannah State 72-71
Beat Lamar 78-69

OP
OP
FArting

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
GCU is 2-2 in conference play

Beat Texas Pan American 91-85 at home
Beat Cal St Bakersfield 66-63 on the road

Lost New Mexico St 84-62 at home
Loust Utah Valley 65-58 on the road

HooverDam

Reaction score
Is GCU eligible for any kind of post season play? I know they cant go to the NCAA even if they won their conference but could they go to the CBI or whatever?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It looks like, as coach, Thunder Dan is growing up . . . among college kids.

OP
OP
FArting

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Huge game for GCU tomorrow

They take on 1st place Utah Valley

Go Lopes!

OP
OP
FArting

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
GCU loses to Utah Valley 79-68
NMSU lost to Idaho

GCU is tied with NMSU for 2nd place in the WAC.

OP
OP
FArting

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
GCU is 1 game behind NMSU for 2nd place in the WAC.

GCU is at Seattle U tonight

Lopes Up!

OP
OP
FArting

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Huge game for GCU this Thursday

If they beat NMSU they would be tied for 2nd place in the WAC.

Lopes Up!

OP
OP
FArting

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
As for playing beyond the regular season, a much talked about topic, GCU is not eligible for the WAC, NCAA or NIT Tournaments. The Antelopes, however, are available for the CBI (16 teams) and CIT Tournaments (32 teams).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard