Gannon: Paris Johnson Jr. To Left Tackle, Jonah Williams Is Right Tackle

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
But Gannon said he has the right to veto it. smh
And? Do we want another Leonard Davis fiasco, with a guy being played out of position due to draft and salary status... because the owner/GM thought he should be there?

Gambler

Rookie
Reaction score
And? Do we want another Leonard Davis fiasco, with a guy being played out of position due to draft and salary status... because the owner/GM thought he should be there?
Of course he has the right, I don't remember another coach saying like he did. It was the tone of his voice. Veto is used to block someone elses decision. I never heard of vetoing your own decisions. It just implied it was not his initial decision. I didn't hear him say something like that last season. May be just semantics.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Of course he has the right, I don't remember another coach saying like he did. It was the tone of his voice. Veto is used to block someone elses decision. I never heard of vetoing your own decisions. It just implied it was not his initial decision. I didn't hear him say something like that last season. May be just semantics.

And maybe it was a tongue-in-cheek stating of the obvious for the gathered press.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, Paris does well as a LT. The last four games, he started to show some dominance at RT. Williams has played LT in the NFL, but got switched to RT last year, and by Cincy accounts, did better on the right side.

The worst case scenario is we have two good RT, and not one good LT.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hopefully, Paris does well as a LT. The last four games, he started to show some dominance at RT. Williams has played LT in the NFL, but got switched to RT last year, and by Cincy accounts, did better on the right side.

The worst case scenario is we have two good RT, and not one good LT.
I think it was impressive Paris switching to the right side and delivering NFL competence in his rookie season.

The fact his college senior year was at Left tackle I don’t see why anyone would exhibit any concern whatsoever.

Johnson played left tackle for the Buckeyes in 2022, and was named a First Team All-Big Ten player and Consensus All-American after allowing two sacks with 11 pressures in 424 pass blocking snaps.

I believe the issue isn’t PJ on the left side but Williams on the right side. If Williams doesn’t hold up I could see Gannon switching him to the left and Paris back to the right side. I don’t see that happening since the talk is Williams played better on the right.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was impressive Paris switching to the right side and delivering NFL competence in his rookie season.

The fact his college senior year was at Left tackle I don’t see why anyone would exhibit any concern whatsoever.

Johnson played left tackle for the Buckeyes in 2022, and was named a First Team All-Big Ten player and Consensus All-American after allowing two sacks with 11 pressures in 424 pass blocking snaps.

I believe the issue isn’t PJ on the left side but Williams on the right side. If Williams doesn’t hold up I could see Gannon switching him to the left and Paris back to the right side. I don’t see that happening since the talk is Williams played better on the right.
I see Beachum replacing Williams before I see Paris moving back to the right.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree with all of that. There just isn't any proof yet that this is going to work well. I am back to having some optimism this year. So, I think it's more likely that this is going to work well.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
There's only one downside to this - it will undo some of the o-line chemistry built last year, and I think it will take several weeks before we see the new lineup playing it's best. It had to be done though!

Hopefully if we get the LG spot settled, this lineup will stay together for at least a couple of years!

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I see Beachum replacing Williams before I see Paris moving back to the right.
I agree somewhat but I could see how one would want to maximize the value of the contract given to Williams.

Having him doing anything other than starting would not maximize his contract.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree somewhat but I could see how one would want to maximize the value of the contract given to Williams.

Having him doing anything other than starting would not maximize his contract.
How does moving Paris back to RT maximize William's contract, if Williams doesn't play well enough on the right? If he is not playing well enough where a change needs to be made, then he isn't maximizing his contract anyway.