Gambo: Kieff wants out, won't talk to players or coaches

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am with Eric on this one. Average, soft power-forward who is a complete headcase doesn't have much value. It boggles my mind that people forget you need two teams to make a trade. The other team has to want Markieff, AND willing to give up something for him. Don't get me wrong, there may be a terrible team out there that is willing to take a chance, but those teams typically have very little to trade.

I'm not. Markieff is not soft and pretty highly valued around the league. He is on a very good contract and is locked up for five years. He was a 6th man of the year candidate two years ago. Yes he is a head case but that didn't stop Detroit from trading for Marcus. There are lots of gm's who will believe that the problem is with Suns mgmt and they can fix him.

There is no point in having a fire sale. Start Tele if Kieff pouts.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boo freaking hoo. Grow up...oh wait....he is still in the I will beat up anybody who looks at my mama wrong stage.

Nobody is going to give up anything of value for this guy. This is going to turn into the Suns getting what they can get to move him type scenario.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boo freaking hoo. Grow up...oh wait....he is still in the I will beat up anybody who looks at my mama wrong stage.

Nobody is going to give up anything of value for this guy. This is going to turn into the Suns getting what they can get to move him type scenario.

I'd settle for draft picks and salary space.

However, I do think Markieff has reasonable trade value because he is a young PF on a very reasonable contract especially if the court issues get resolved in a favorable fashion. Besides, the issue of having to play two brothers on the same team has been resolved.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am with Eric on this one. Average, soft power-forward who is a complete headcase doesn't have much value. It boggles my mind that people forget you need two teams to make a trade. The other team has to want Markieff, AND willing to give up something for him. Don't get me wrong, there may be a terrible team out there that is willing to take a chance, but those teams typically have very little to trade.

He doesn't understand how to rebound and he's not as long as most of the good starting power forward's out there. That said, I'm not sure I would call him "soft". I'm totally with you on the "it takes two teams to make a trade" with some of the ideas that get thrown around here, but in this case you are just flat out wrong. Where I could see him having the most value is as the first guy off the bench for some team. He has a nice contract for a few more years before the salary cap blows up next season. Morris will be very tradable once the season gets going along. If he wants to get traded though he just needs to shut up and play, and i doubt he's smart enough to do that.

Joe

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I try to avoid using the word "hate" very often. But man do I hate the morrii. They epitomize everything that's wrong with their generation. And though that's a stereotype for their gen, they not only prove stereotype, but they evidence the stereotype blown up one thousand fold.

Get value for him early/mid season, but ship his ass outta here. To be honest, it makes me sick that entitled thugs like he and his brother get paid millions purely due to lucky genetics. I sincerely hope that these two have a day of reckoning where they have to face the realities of day-to-day that do most folks.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I try to avoid using the word "hate" very often. But man do I hate the morrii. They epitomize everything that's wrong with their generation. And though that's a stereotype for their gen, they not only prove stereotype, but they evidence the stereotype blown up one thousand fold.

Get value for him early/mid season, but ship his ass outta here. To be honest, it makes me sick that entitled thugs like he and his brother get paid millions purely due to lucky genetics. I sincerely hope that these two have a day of reckoning where they have to face the realities of day-to-day that do most folks.

100% agree. These two buttholes and their constant whining on the court and off the court puts them right up there with McNugget, Mario Elie, and Robert Horry in my "least favorite guys to every wear a Suns uniform"

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Send him to the 76ers! They have lots of picks, and probably something we might be able to use.

Yes it takes two to tango, I just want him in a complete losing situation, which fits his loser mentality.

He already was a cancer on our team, and I can only imagine how much a of a lunatic baby he could be now.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
If I was McDonough I'd text his mom just to get him more irked that he can't go anywhere. Trash like Morris shouldn't be on the Suns. I'd rather lose 82 games than root for clowns like this.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The Suns best play here is to play hard ball. Markieff is starting a 5yrs/40M$ contract, he has no leverage or choice.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The Suns were very lucky to have signed Mirza. IMO, he more than capable of starting.

If Mirza Teletovic is supposed to be the Suns starting PF than you can write this season off before it started.

They would have a better chance starting TJ Warren or PJ Tucker at PF.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Mirza Teletovic is supposed to be the Suns starting PF than you can write this season off before it started.

They would have a better chance starting TJ Warren or PJ Tucker at PF.

I disagree about Warren and Tucker playing PF except in small ball situations. However, I do think Mirza is capable of starting but I'm sure the Suns would be shopping for a starting PF if Markieff were traded.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Mirza Teletovic is a 30yr old 6'8 PF who is 3 seasons in the NBA now and shot 38.4%FG, 41.8%FG and 38.2%FG with PER or 12, 14 and 10.

If Mirza Teletovic is starting for you in the West you are toast. Teletovic is in a dog fight with Leuer to get minutes.

I have a feeling people overrate Teletovic simply because he is European - some people automatically think that makes him have a high bball IQ and great shooter.

Teletovic is a 3rd string PF. If we lose Markieff for nothing we will have nothing but a couple of 3rd stringers available at PF. We would be better off playing without a PF instead of playing scrubs for 48 minutes.

I'd bet that Tucker starts at PF before Teletovic does.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mirza Teletovic is a 30yr old 6'8 PF who is 3 seasons in the NBA now and shot 38.4%FG, 41.8%FG and 38.2%FG with PER or 12, 14 and 10.

If Mirza Teletovic is starting for you in the West you are toast. Teletovic is in a dog fight with Leuer to get minutes.

I have a feeling people overrate Teletovic simply because he is European - some people automatically think that makes him have a high bball IQ and great shooter.

Teletovic is a 3rd string PF. If we lose Markieff for nothing we will have nothing but a couple of 3rd stringers available at PF. We would be better off playing without a PF instead of playing scrubs for 48 minutes.

I'd bet that Tucker starts at PF before Teletovic does.

I like Teletovic because I have seen him play a time or two.

I say Teletovic will start over Tucker at PF (barring injuries). Mark it down :)

If Tucker starts over Teletovic at PF, the Suns are in real trouble.

Errntknght

Reaction score
At his best Markieff is a bit above an average PF, considering his rebounding and defense - and I don't mean an average starting PF, average among all PFs. Last year he fell to his brothers level and I doubt he'd ever play better than that - for us. More likely worse than that.

He's more talented than that and there should be a number of coaches around the league that understand how to get more out of him than Jeff does in the offense he's installed here. (Basically, you make him more of a focal point of the offense where his abilities to drive and pass are threats in addition to his jump shot. Now you might have to use a 2X4 to convince him he needs to drive sometimes. He is a willing passer and he's quite good at it, though we don't see it much.) Phil Jackson or Steve Kerr might be interested as motion type offenses (Princeton and triangle, et al) incorporate such maneuvers.

If we keep him and force him to play for us he probably wouldn't play well enough to win the s starting job, unless he's cooperating in a showcasing effort to entice someone to trade for him - a possibility someone else already mentioned.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At his best Markieff is a bit above an average PF, considering his rebounding and defense - and I don't mean an average starting PF, average among all PFs. Last year he fell to his brothers level and I doubt he'd ever play better than that - for us. More likely worse than that.

He's more talented than that and there should be a number of coaches around the league that understand how to get more out of him than Jeff does in the offense he's installed here. (Basically, you make him more of a focal point of the offense where his abilities to drive and pass are threats in addition to his jump shot. Now you might have to use a 2X4 to convince him he needs to drive sometimes. He is a willing passer and he's quite good at it, though we don't see it much.) Phil Jackson or Steve Kerr might be interested as motion type offenses (Princeton and triangle, et al) incorporate such maneuvers.

I agree. That's why I don't think the Suns will have any trouble trading him if matters with the court are resolved.

If we keep him and force him to play for us he probably wouldn't play well enough to win the s starting job, unless he's cooperating in a showcasing effort to entice someone to trade for him - a possibility someone else already mentioned.

Oh, I think Markieff will start if the Suns keep him. I think slinslin and I were talking about who would start if Markieff were gone and no PF added.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns best play here is to play hard ball. Markieff is starting a 5yrs/40M$ contract, he has no leverage or choice.

That's exactly right. They can play hardball nicely though. No need to match immaturity with immaturity.

"We like Markieff as a player and think he is an important part of our team."

"We understand Markieff's frustration over Marcus' departure. We expected them to be together here long term as well, but this is the NBA and things change."

"Markieff is a professional and we have no reason to believe that he will not fulfill his responsibilities professionally. If he would prefer to be traded, we will do our best to accomplish that, but only for equal value. We value him highly and cannot and will not give him away."

"We strongly believe that the situation in Detroit is better suited for Marcus and he will have an opportunity to start and succeed there."

"We want Markieff on this team and want him to know that he is welcome here."

"John Gambadoro does not speak for the Phoenix Suns and we find his behavior over the media this summer to be juvenile and self-serving."

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree about Warren and Tucker playing PF except in small ball situations. However, I do think Mirza is capable of starting but I'm sure the Suns would be shopping for a starting PF if Markieff were traded.

I think Leuer could give Mirza a run for his money in a battle for the starting position.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's exactly right. They can play hardball nicely though. No need to match immaturity with immaturity.

"We like Markieff as a player and think he is an important part of our team."

"We understand Markieff's frustration over Marcus' departure. We expected them to be together here long term as well, but this is the NBA and things change."

"Markieff is a professional and we have no reason to believe that he will not fulfill his responsibilities professionally. If he would prefer to be traded, we will do our best to accomplish that, but only for equal value. We value him highly and cannot and will not give him away."

"We strongly believe that the situation in Detroit is better suited for Marcus and he will have an opportunity to start and succeed there."

"We want Markieff on this team and want him to know that he is welcome here."

"John Gambadoro does not speak for the Phoenix Suns and we find his behavior over the media this summer to be juvenile and self-serving."

I like this approach. It seems to be the best strategy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Leuer could give Mirza a run for his money in a battle for the starting position.

This is encouraging.

So do you think Tucker would start over Teletovic or Leuer (as slinslin suggests) if Markieff should leave and the roster remains the same?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
'So glad that Kieff is forcing the issue.

I guess we'll never know if this is part of his childish reaction to things . . .

Or, with all the negatives in his behavior, making sure that he and the Suns gets a fresh start, just as his twin has.

As far as replacing him, any NBA team should be able to come up with a starting PF who can score. And show some professionalism at rebounding. He doesn't have to be an All Star.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For those who are saying, keep him and don't give into his demands to be traded. Even if PHX doesn't accommodate him, he will still be a cancer to this team, players aren't going to want to play with him. He could dog it out there, he's still gonna collect his money. He's not a superstar player you can't do without, if he wants out then I agree with the posters who say trade him to PHI or some terrible team where he is going to waste away. Keeping him on the roster is going to kill team chemistry and undermine the coaching staff's authority with his piss poor attitude.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

They've been shopping for a starting PF since Amare left.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score