Future Phoenix Mercury Brittney Griner scores 50

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Griner scored 50 tonight, including a dunk as #1 Baylor beat KSU 90-68. The Mercury should be one of the favorites to win it all with Griner.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just hope PHX doesn't blow it and pick someone else. Some people feel F Elena Delle Donne or G Skylar Diggins would fit the Mercury's style of play better but Griner arguably is the best female basketball player in the world.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I just hope PHX doesn't blow it and pick someone else. Some people feel F Elena Delle Donne or G Skylar Diggins would fit the Mercury's style of play better but Griner arguably is the best female basketball player in the world.

I hope Mercury management doesn't take advice from Suns management.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
In pretty much any other draft either EDD or Diggins would be the #1 pick. They are extremely good players and would both fit the Mercury's style of play very well. Griner however is the best player in this draft and it is hard to imagine the Mercury go anywhere else with the #1 pick. Also Griner plays in a very uptempo system at Baylor. Somebody has to get the rebound and get the outlet pass to the guards.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad Mark Cuban is going to try to snag and draft her in the NBA draft her to sell tickets.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story...-brittney-griner-opportunity-dallas-mavericks

Cuban said he would consider selecting Griner, a 6-foot-8 three-time All-American and Big 12 player of the year, in the second round of the NBA draft. If the Mavs don't draft her, Cuban said he would have "no problem whatsoever" inviting Griner to try out for a spot on Dallas' summer league team.

Maybe the Suns should draft her. She would be at least the third best player on the team right now. ZING!!

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Cuban said that in a late night show and he only really said if she was the best player on the board.

Too bad Griner would never be the best player on the board even if they expanded the draft back to 7 rounds.

A 6'8 220lbs center that can sometimes dunk has no place in the NBA.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cuban said that in a late night show and he only really said if she was the best player on the board.

Too bad Griner would never be the best player on the board even if they expanded the draft back to 7 rounds.

A 6'8 220lbs center that can sometimes dunk has no place in the NBA.

If the Mavs don't draft her, Cuban said he would have "no problem whatsoever" inviting Griner to try out for a spot on Dallas' summer league team

What about that part? Summer League runs right through the WNBA season.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I doubt Griner will pass up meaningful games to be an exhibition spectacle. Even if she does it'd only be for 1 year, she simply can't compete in any men's league that would be able to pay her more than she'll be able to earn in the WNBA.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It would only take one Summer League game and that's if the team that was trying her out ignored what they saw in the practices leading up to Summer League and felt compelled to embarrass her.

She'll dominate the WNBA though.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We need an entire section devoted to the Mercury, we gonna win a championship soon. My wife even wants to go to a game or two this year and she aint no basketball fan, but she's seen Griner on the highlites for a few years now. Good move for Phx. :)

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need an entire section devoted to the Mercury, we gonna win a championship soon. My wife even wants to go to a game or two this year and she aint no basketball fan, but she's seen Griner on the highlites for a few years now. Good move for Phx. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Mercury

In 1998, 2007, and 2009, the Mercury went to the WNBA Finals; they lost to Houston in 1998, but won the title in 2007 and 2009 over Detroit and Indiana, respectively.

:shrug:

BTW, the Mercury and Rattles have won all but one of the Valley's Championships.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Agreed. I have actually been paying pretty close attention to the Mercury for a few years now and I even try to watch their games whenever I can. Would like to make it to a game this season as well.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How exciting for Phoenix Mercury fans. Girl is a BALLER!

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Some of my favorite clients/gardners have court seats this year. They said they don't make it to all the games and I gotta shot at kickin it Jack Nicholson style. :)

Props to the "Muercury" on the thread title!!!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I have been waiting since the days of Maria Stepanova for the Mercury to have a strong presence in the middle. It is ironic that, at a key time, we lost her to pregnancy.

Lisa Leslie set the standard for WNBA centers with the LA Sparks. She was the greatest player in WNBA history. So far!

Hopefully, we have her successor. Go Brittney!

And I agree that the Mercury should have its own ASFN forum.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Saw Griner on a couple of the local sports shows last night. Channel 10 had a story about the Mercury possibly becoming more popular than our beloved Suns. On channel 15 they interviewed in the Merc locker-room. She is pretty cool, said she was secretly hoping Phoenix got the pick. She plans on doing a lot in the community, when asked about "coming out" she said she always has been "out", that she's never hid who she is and that she is very comfortable in her own skin. She is really big against "bullying", and said that even with her size she herself had been bullied. She also said everybody just wants her to dunk, and she was smiling huge when she said that. Down with some BBQ, eats bacon anytime of the day, I can relate to that. :D

Man, we could be talking about the greatest WNBA player of all times!!!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Man, we could be talking about the greatest WNBA player of all times!!!
I'm with you, which is why I said in post #15 . . .

Lisa Leslie set the standard for WNBA centers with the LA Sparks. She was the greatest player in WNBA history. So far! Hopefully, we have her successor. Go Brittney!

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm with you, which is why I said in post #15 . . .

Lisa Leslie set the standard for WNBA centers with the LA Sparks. She was the greatest player in WNBA history. So far! Hopefully, we have her successor. Go Brittney!

What's the magnitude of this griner situation? is she the equillivent of lebron james of the WNBA? (if he played center, just notability i mean when he first came up) I really don't follow womens basketball... but i mean, if she was at the dbacks game and interviewed.. it has to be a bit of a big deal, right?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
What's the magnitude of this griner situation? is she the equillivent of lebron james of the WNBA? (if he played center, just notability i mean when he first came up) I really don't follow womens basketball... but i mean, if she was at the dbacks game and interviewed.. it has to be a bit of a big deal, right?
Here is Brittney's Wikipedia bio, with her basketball accomplishments at each step along the way.

And now on a team that won two recent league championships and surrounded with All-Stars, the sky is the limit as she begins her professional career. Mark Cuban considered signing her to his NBA Mavs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittney_Griner

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here is Brittney's Wikipedia bio, with her basketball accomplishments at each step along the way.

And now on a team that won two recent league championships and surrounded with All-Stars, the sky is the limit as she begins her professional career. Mark Cuban considered signing her to his NBA Mavs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittney_Griner

Oh, THAT'S the girl. I remember Cuban talking about that. Nice.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I see Griner as being a huge draw for the Mercury. She has a real future in the WNBA

I've never watched a WNBA game on TV, let alone attend a game. But if she's this big of a deal I'd consider going to a game! No matter what the sport is, it's always fun to see someone dominate the opposition.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

She's more like the Bill Russel of the WNBA.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Elena Delle Donne will end up with the better career and could carry the league. Griner will hold her own, but after seeing Delle Donne last night, she is a much better all around player. At 6'5", she can really play at five spots in the WNBA. By the way, Skylar Diggens looked lost last night. Lets just hope that Giner is Hakeem Olajuwon and not Sam Bowie because I think Delle Donne landing in Chicago is perfect for her is you know what I mean.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard