Funny Steve Nash Toyota commercial

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must be getting old. I saw nothing even remotely funny about that video. In fact, it struck me quite the opposite. It was mean spirited and says a lot about what's wrong with today's world. I have half a mind to round all of you up and ship you to another planet. If I had a full mind I'd probably try to figure out how to do just that.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must be getting old. I saw nothing even remotely funny about that video. In fact, it struck me quite the opposite. It was mean spirited and says a lot about what's wrong with today's world.

I wanted to disagree with you so we could have some room for discussion. However, you are spot on in regard to the above.

I have half a mind to round all of you up and ship you to another planet. If I had a full mind I'd probably try to figure out how to do just that.

Okay, your attempt at humor fell as flat as Steve Nash's attempt at humor. :D

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must be getting old. I saw nothing even remotely funny about that video. In fact, it struck me quite the opposite. It was mean spirited and says a lot about what's wrong with today's world. I have half a mind to round all of you up and ship you to another planet. If I had a full mind I'd probably try to figure out how to do just that.

You must be registered for see images attach

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, I'm not quite that old (that's more like BC867 or Errntknght territory:)) but my son still calls me Kwyjibo so we're in the ballpark.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to disagree with you so we could have some room for discussion. However, you are spot on in regard to the above.

Okay, your attempt at humor fell as flat as Steve Nash's attempt at humor. :D

Never tell a guy who thinks he's funny that he's not funny. :thumbdown:thumbdown And here I was being nice by not pointing out that you were wrong on a particular artist. She doesn't write all her music, the hidden track on A Curious Thing is most definitely a Bruce Springsteen song.:p

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Well, I'm not quite that old (that's more like BC867 or Errntknght territory:)) but my son still calls me Kwyjibo so we're in the ballpark.

Steve
I hope I get a birthday wish from you next February, Steve.

That is if my arthritic fingers can still handle the keyboard and my aging eyes can still see read the screen. :)

BTW, I agree that the commercial was not funny or flattering. Perhaps the Nash Rambler is preparing for a career in politics.

And they say that he can't play defense. :D

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never tell a guy who thinks he's funny that he's not funny. :thumbdown:thumbdown

:lol:

And here I was being nice by not pointing out that you were wrong on a particular artist. She doesn't write all her music, the hidden track on A Curious Thing is most definitely a Bruce Springsteen song.:p

Steve

Amy Macdonald does write most of her music, however, I never mind when she performs a great song from another artist. Give a listen to this song written by Leonard Cohen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Iu0FhRmoZE

Anyway, back to Steve Nash. ;)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:lol:

Amy Macdonald does write most of her music, however, I never mind when she performs a great song from another artist. Give a listen to this song written by Leonard Cohen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Iu0FhRmoZE

Anyway, back to Steve Nash. ;)

I like Steve Nash, now back to our tangent. I've always been a Leonard Cohen fan and Hallelujah is one of his best but it's also one that just about everybody that covers it does an even better job than Leonard does. My favorite version is by Jeff Buckley. As for Amy, I like her Neil Diamond covers also. She is something special. And I still like Steve Nash despite his Toyota commercial.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope I get a birthday wish from you next February, Steve.

That is if my arthritic fingers can still handle the keyboard and my aging eyes can still see read the screen. :)

BTW, I agree that the commercial was not funny or flattering. Perhaps the Nash Rambler is preparing for a career in politics.

And they say that he can't play defense. :D

Lol. Eh, what's that you say sonny?

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Steve Nash, now back to our tangent. I've always been a Leonard Cohen fan and Hallelujah is one of his best but it's also one that just about everybody that covers it does an even better job than Leonard does. My favorite version is by Jeff Buckley. As for Amy, I like her Neil Diamond covers also. She is something special. And I still like Steve Nash despite his Toyota commercial.

Steve

It is really hard to find an artist these days that puts out a complete album like it is for Steve Nash to do funny commercials.

Thanks for introducing me to Jeff Buckley. I enjoyed his version of Hallelujah. Too bad he met a sudden end.

I find it very difficult to find artists that can put out a complete album these days. I really enjoyed Dido's first two albums, a couple albums by Moby and one album by Coldplay.

Now I find myself sports deprived with the NBA lockout and the NFL in a lawsuit with the players. I wander over to the NFL forum more and more these days. At least there appears to be a possible breakthrough in the NFL impasse.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I thought it was funny. You see that the parking lot is empty, right? That makes the parody element strong enough that it can't be interpreted as mean-spirited, in my opinion.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was funny. You see that the parking lot is empty, right? That makes the parody element strong enough that it can't be interpreted as mean-spirited, in my opinion.

You are right it should be funny as all the elements are there. I've always heard that bad drama is comedy. Well, it seems Nash is really good at doing drama because, IMO, it comes over serious when it is clearly supposed to be comedy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That part would have been cute if he hadn't accelerated and cut the old lady off. The stupid dance that followed didn't help much. But, as I said, it's probably a generational thing.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That part would have been cute if he hadn't accelerated and cut the old lady off. The stupid dance that followed didn't help much. But, as I said, it's probably a generational thing.

Steve
Perhaps if Steve weren't portraying himself, it wouldn't have been offensive.

You can forgive an actor for quoting lines written by a writer and even give him credit for successfully being "out of character".

But by clearly playing himself, it will now be part of his persona whenever we see him.

He should have played that role when Robert Horry hip-checked him, but he chose to retaliate against an old lady.

Just as in his APS commercial, when he asks the lady he seems to be hitting on, "Does he live here?" about her husband.

'Not admirable, Steve! (Not you, AZSteven, the other Steve.)

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You can forgive an actor for quoting lines written by a writer and even give him credit for successfully being "out of character".

But by clearly playing himself, it will now be part of his persona whenever we see him.

He should have played that role when Robert Horry hip-checked him, but he chose to retaliate against an old lady.

Just as in his APS commercial, when he asks the lady he seems to be hitting on, "Does he live here?" about her husband.

'Not admirable, Steve! (Not you, AZSteven, the other Steve.)

I don't know, maybe he's just trying to change his nice guy image. Despite my feelings on his Toyota commercial it's obvious that a lot of people will appreciate it.

Now that I think about it, he might be trying to overcome the image of Steves in general. We're typically portrayed as nice guys, we rarely get to be serial killers, assassins, bullies, power brokers etc. We're always the best friend of the girl who gets her heart broken, never the dashing pirate. In Hollywood, when they cast a Steve part they just call up an agency and ask them to send over a couple of milquetoasts.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even the APS commercial was meant to be funny.

I think the simple answer is that Steve Nash does not do comedy well.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, maybe he's just trying to change his nice guy image. Despite my feelings on his Toyota commercial it's obvious that a lot of people will appreciate it.

Now that I think about it, he might be trying to overcome the image of Steves in general. We're typically portrayed as nice guys, we rarely get to be serial killers, assassins, bullies, power brokers etc. We're always the best friend of the girl who gets her heart broken, never the dashing pirate. In Hollywood, when they cast a Steve part they just call up an agency and ask them to send over a couple of milquetoasts.

Steve

Ehhhh ...

You must be registered for see images attach

This guy thinks you were probably talking about Stu's. Because Steve's are badass.

ba na na na na na na ...

You must be registered for see images

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0234853/quotes

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeez, lighten up!

Get the NFL running and then we can talk. :D

Suns fans are desperate. I don't know how long fans can keep talking about things like commercials.

Go NFL!

We need football to carry us through this sports crisis.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn you all are uptight.

Of course we are. What other possibility could there be? It couldn't just be that humor is subjective and some of us fail to see the humor in this commercial. OTOH, maybe we're not uptight, perhaps we just don't have a sense of humor.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ehhhh ...
This guy thinks you were probably talking about Stu's. Because Steve's are badass.

Is it just me or did you have to go back three and a half decades to try and find a Steve that wasn't a pushover?. There's always the other Steve Austin. Still, I maintain that typically, a show biz Steve is more likely married to a Marcie and hanging around a shoe salesman named Al than he is jumping barbed wire fences on a motorcycle.

Steve

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I watched it the first time, thought it was a little funny, nothing spectacular but nothing out of the ordinary, and thought nothing more of it. Now I see all these replies and I had to watch it again just to see if I missed something. I don't get what the big deal is. All Nash's commercials are basically like this.

But he is not portraying himself, not in a serious way anyhow. This commercial is clearly not intended to be taken seriously, so how can it become a part of his persona? Like his other commercials, this one is just poking fun at his character, in this case by exaggerating his competitive nature as well as contradicting his do-gooder persona. If, say, LeBron James did this, it wouldn't work. But Nash has a certain "mr. nice guy" reputation, so this commercial is definitely intended to play as "out of character". Especially with the "serious" voice-over about his competitive nature. I cannot believe people are reading way too much into this.

It reminded me of an episode of Seinfeld where Jerry wrestled an old lady for a loaf of bread. Certainly no one thought that was offensive or that it portrayed Jerry (the comedian/actor or the character) as mean-spirited. This is very much in the same vein, imo.

Man, this lockout better end soon, because this cannot be the only thing worth talking about around here.