Free Agency Rumors

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lots of wasted words here to debate something as obvious as Wirfs would have been the better pick at #8.

Its not even close. A rookie RT that played at an all pro level vs a linebacker that played about 30% of snaps because he wasn't yet deemed good enough.

And even if Simmons is an all pro LB next year its still Wirfs.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lots of wasted words here to debate something as obvious as Wirfs would have been the better pick at #8.

Its not even close. A rookie RT that played at an all pro level vs a linebacker that played about 30% of snaps because he wasn't yet deemed good enough.

Hindsight aside, why Wirfs when the Cards were on the clock given that Wills and Becton came off the board before him?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe you should say, in your opinion. The Nfl thought he was the 4th best tackle behind Thomas, Wills. and Bechton. Don’t act Wirfs was the slam dunk choice.

Wirfs will eventually play LT because of his athleticism.
Exactly. Hey, we all get hell-bent stuck on our opinion sometimes, and will shake our fists and argue no matter the (lack of) merit of said opinion. He's entrenched here, on this "Wirfs was always the no duh decision, bar none, and everyone should know that, duh" opinion. It's not going to change. I should know; I tend to do the same thing :)
Because I said since March of last year that Wirfs or Wills should’ve been the pick. That’s why I’m hell-bent on it. Not like I just switched up a month ago.

All everybody with eyes knows that the 4th OT off the board has been a lot better than the 1st ILB.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Because I said since March of last year that Wirfs or Wills should’ve been the pick. That’s why I’m hell-bent on it. Not like I just switched up a month ago.

All everybody with eyes knows that the 4th OT off the board has been a lot better than the 1st ILB.
So, basically, you’re on here trying to tell everyone you were right....for the players 1st year?

congrats.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am not going to lie, I expected better from this board. Wirfs, Wills, and Becton were all the better pick over Simmons, then and now. And don't give me the dopes who wanted Andrew Thomas as a counter point or the dopes who said Wirfs was too athletic to be a tackle and should be moved inside.

If you want to draft Najee Harris and then watch him get hit in the backfield when we play against good defenses, you are part of the problem. This is a board problem every year. During the season we almost all gripe about the lack of talent on our offensive line, how Kyler doesn't have enough time, and that we can't run the ball. But once the offseason hits, there is a group that develops amnesia suddenly believes that we should spend or draft ILBs, RBs, and basically any position that doesn't upgrade the line they spent 5 months complaining about. After that, rinse and repeat.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So, basically, you’re on here trying to tell everyone you were right....for the players 1st year?

congrats.
I don't know if he is, but I am. And for the record, I was the guy posting on the board about how I hoped Simmons would come out and we would draft him after the bowl championship game vs Alabama.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, if our use of draft capital in 2020 gives us a dynamic member of our defensive front 7, a starting RT and Nuk, I really couldn't care less whether Wirf proves better than Jones.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

There's no way to claim this that early in their careers. Yes, a great season for Wirfs (and I was on @DVontel's side in the offseason about liking Wirfs/Wills), but it's undoubtedly possible to look back a couple of years down the line and see more production out of a combo of Simmons/Josh Jones and say, Wirfs and Jabari Zuniga (there weren't any ILBs drafted in the third round so I just punted with the next defensive player at a position we drafted).

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If you want to draft Najee Harris and then watch him get hit in the backfield when we play against good defenses, you are part of the problem. This is a board problem every year. During the season we almost all gripe about the lack of talent on our offensive line, how Kyler doesn't have enough time, and that we can't run the ball. But once the offseason hits, there is a group that develops amnesia suddenly believes that we should spend or draft ILBs, RBs, and basically any position that doesn't upgrade the line they spent 5 months complaining about. After that, rinse and repeat.
I don't see a single soul advocating for ignoring the offensive line. But I'm going to go nuts if Keim drafts an OT in the 1st round and deems Josh Jones a quality swing backup one year after drafting him, like we continue to do under his tenure. Draft and replace, one year after making the wrong move, every year.

Honestly, I think the team's biggest FA priorities need to be spending money on one really good IOL, the best CB we'll be able to pick off the garbage heap, and a solid, proven, moderately priced WR #2, and then in the first three rounds, optimally aim to come away with an IOL, RB, and CB, not in that order necessarily.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't know if he is, but I am. And for the record, I was the guy posting on the board about how I hoped Simmons would come out and we would draft him after the bowl championship game vs Alabama.
Simmons was, and should’ve been the pick.
Prior to the draft nobody thought he’d be available when the cards picked. He was and they took him, now it’s a mistake because the 4th OT had a nice year.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There's no way to claim this that early in their careers. Yes, a great season for Wirfs (and I was on @DVontel's side in the offseason about liking Wirfs/Wills), but it's undoubtedly possible to look back a couple of years down the line and see more production out of a combo of Simmons/Josh Jones and say, Wirfs and Jabari Zuniga (there weren't any ILBs drafted in the third round so I just punted with the next defensive player at a position we drafted).

Good point. If Josh is a good OL (reasonable to think he will), and Simmons is good (again, reasonable), then Wirfs + rando 3rd round LB isn’t such a dramatic miss.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Simmons was, and should’ve been the pick.
Prior to the draft nobody thought he’d be available when the cards picked. He was and they took him, now it’s a mistake because the 4th OT had a nice year.
This board is in love with its hindsight. Just like how we obviously should have given up a 1st rounder to move up 1-3 picks for Mahomes/Watson, something no one said on draft day.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This board is in love with its hindsight. Just like how we obviously should have given up a 1st rounder to move up 1-3 picks for Mahomes/Watson, something no one said on draft day.
Chop & I been banging on the Wirfs table since last year. Nothing hindsight about that at all.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I totally agree. This whole country is obsessed with self righteousness it seems

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Chop & I been banging on the Wirfs table since last year. Nothing hindsight about that at all.
I was on your guys' side, but not when the chips fell the way they did. You were also in full support of Wills, IIRC. I don't see a ton of disappointment from you in the thread about our #1 pick, though. Not ecstatic, but certainly not saying it was a bad move to take Simmons.

I will give Chopper credit, he did immediately say he was disappointed we went Simmons over Wirfs.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
maybe two historic examples:

picking Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson was a terrible draft mistake -- both at the time and in hindsight

picking Larry Fitzgerald over Philip Rivers / Ben Roethlisberger was....... a "could have been better" pick. The Cards actually needed a QB at that time.

what would have been a terrible mistake would have been picking Robert Gallery (lets assume he was available) over Rivers / Roethlisberger / Fitz

if you arent going to pick one of the best players in the draft, at least pick a good player. I believe thats what the Cards did last year.

both Wirfs and Simmons were positions of need. We could argue position value -- but i think the NFL is changing and the need for a LB who can play all three downs is very valuable.

time will tell

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well that one was friking obvious I was screaming at the tv when we did not move up. I would have moved up to 5 for Mahomes.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back to FA rumors, is there anything to the Ju-Ju stuff, or is that just wishcasting by sports writers?

there might be. I kinda think keim may be going after a WR in fa. I would much rather have Golladay or Godwin over juju though.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Keim better get a WR in FA cuz he sure can’t pick them in the draft.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give me three solid running backs. They don’t have to be great. At this point we have one.
That ain’t gonna cut it no matter how “ unimportant” anybody thinks the position is.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
hey: back to free agent rumors....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media