Freaks and Geeks

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just watched the first episode. I can already tell that I’m really going to enjoy this. I was born in 74, so this show is bringing back a lot of great memories of being a kid in the early 80’s.

The characters are awesome and they definitely remind me of some kids that I knew while growing up. Even the adults are funny, Lindsay and Sam’s dad cracks me up every time he talks.

I’m paying close attention to all of the props and clothing, it’s really funny to see. I was laughing pretty hard when Alan came riding down the street on his bike with the banana seat. I love the music too, and all the terminology and slang words that were cool back in the early 80’s. So far I’m pretty impressed with how well they made it seem like 1980.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was duping Disc 4 last night and it took three attempts, since the disk was pretty badly worn. I was sweating it out for a bit.

I plan to start watching very soon.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
So I was duping Disc 4 last night and it took three attempts, since the disk was pretty badly worn. I was sweating it out for a bit.

I plan to start watching very soon.
I hate when that happens. Fortunately my dvd burner is fairly new so I don't have too much trouble. One of the best things you can use to clean dvds is actually toothpaste (along with nonabrasive cloth).

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just cranked out episodes 2 & 3. I can’t wait to see what they do with all of these unique characters. I’m really surprised that I have never heard of this show before.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
I just cranked out episodes 2 & 3. I can’t wait to see what they do with all of these unique characters. I’m really surprised that I have never heard of this show before.

Hang on for a fun ride. You will be loving the show, and then when you count down the amount of episodes left to watch, you will begin to be mad that there are no more to watch.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Great show - massive network failure to not give it a few seasons. Seemed to be a run of those for awhile - Firefly comes to mind.

Network fools! ;)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own the complete series, but have never watched it. Just not enough time.

I ran into this as well. The set probably sat on my shelf 6 months before I watched it.

Once I started it though, I was cranking out 2 or 3 episodes at a time.

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just cranked out episodes 4-6. The end of 6 was pretty funny. After Sam has finally decided to take a shower in gym class and ends up streaking. “You’re like a god, people are gonna worship you”.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have three episodes left.

I am afraid to watch them and end the experience.

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

I like your avatar. I really cracked up when I saw Jenna’s. The dad really cracks me up, every time he talks. Bill does also. That would be a fun character to play.

I know what you mean. It’s a little disappointing knowing that there are only 18 episodes.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:biglaugh:

I did that. I waited well over a week before I watched the last disc, and finished it all in one sitting. I then watched all of the commentary, and looked online for more information about the show.

:(

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
i'm a little miffed right now. somehow, in my most recent move, i misplaced the dvd's. they better show up when i unpack in a few weeks.

Man, that sucks. I’m at home with a sick kid today, eagerly waiting for the mailman to come by at about 2. I get my next disc of Freaks & Geeks and Lost.

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I finished off episodes 7-9 the other day. They were great. There never seems to be a dull episode. The dinner conversation about The Pit was awesome. The dad never fails to crack me up.

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Well, is it over for you yet, or are you still holding out?

I just finished #15. The last disc is in the mail, so unfortunately it’ll all be over soon.

I love the musical montages with the old early 80’s music.

Especially the one where Coach Fredricks walked out of the bedroom in the morning while Bill was eating breakfast. He went to get a cup of coffee and used a cup that said BILL on it. That was just too much for poor Bill.

Harold is awesome, I want to remember some of his lines for when my kids are teenagers. “I’m not a prude! If I was a prude, you wouldn’t exist!”

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the musical montages with the old early 80’s music.

Especially the one where Coach Fredricks walked out of the bedroom in the morning while Bill was eating breakfast. He went to get a cup of coffee and used a cup that said BILL on it. That was just too much for poor Bill.

Agreed. Being in his spot/age, it would have been hard to not break down.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, is it over for you yet, or are you still holding out?

I'm still holding out.

The disc is sitting right over there, on the DVD player.

There...I just looked at it. I looked away quickly though as I felt its pull. I'm afraid to look again.

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I usually don’t do any research about the stuff I watch until I’ve already watched it, but I made an exception with this one. I found this pretty interesting from Amazon. The only DVD set that I own is The Sopranos, but I'll likely purchase this one too. I really want to see the deleted scenes, commentaries, cast auditions, and other stuff. My wife caught a few episodes with me and really liked it. (She hardly likes anything that I watch, so this is great news) So, although I'll be ending my run with this show in the next day or two, I'll likely get to enjoy it again in the near future.

I found the following very informative. It's a bit long, but if you're a new fan to the show, it's pretty interesting.

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
The comedy/drama Freaks and Geeks limped through its sole season on NBC in 1999 before being expelled by the network--but not before earning critical acclaim and a devoted fan base that fought valiantly to keep it on the air. Now all 18 episodes have been released in this long-awaited boxed set, which allows longtime fans and first-timers alike to enjoy one of television's most poignant and funny programs about high school.
Created by writer-comedian Paul Feig and executive produced by Judd Apatow (The Larry Sanders Show), Freaks and Geeks followed the Weir siblings--former math whiz Lindsay (Linda Cardellini of the Scooby-Doo feature films and ER) and her younger brother Sam (John Francis Daley)--as they navigated the perils and pleasures of a Michigan high school circa 1980. What separated Freaks and Geeks from most other scholastic series was its brutal honesty--Lindsay and Sam, as well as their friends and parents, were given very human personas that showed failure, malice, indecision, and moments of great clarity. Likewise, the plotlines rarely offered pat solutions to the characters' conflicts--the show unfolded in a naturalistic manner, which was a welcome respite for viewers tired of flashy high school dramas. When combined with its smart dialogue and winning performances (the cast included SCTV veteran Joe Flaherty and Spider-Man star James Franco, as well as the sublime and criminally underrecognized Martin Starr and Seth Rogen as Sam's pal Bill and dry-witted Ken, respectively), the show became a haven for fans of quality television, if only for a brief period of time.

The six-disc boxed set provides over 40 hours of supplemental material, which should satiate even the most obsessive of fans. Twenty-nine separate commentaries from the show's creators, cast (and as some of their parents!), composer Mike Andrews, and fans are included, as are 60 deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes footage, and cast auditions. However, the most striking extra is the warmth that radiates from the commentary participants--their pleasure in taking part in such a quality program is palpable, and will undoubtedly be echoed by all who watch these discs. --Paul Gaita

Product Description
Over 35,000 fans have demanded it, and so it has come. That’s how many rabid "Freaks and Geeks" fans have signed a petition via the Internet to plead for its release on DVD. "Freaks and Geeks," the Emmy® award-winning series about the trials and tribulations of high school outsiders in 1980 Michigan is finally coming out on DVD in its original form, with all the original music. And believe us – clearing over 130 music cues from the likes of The Who, Billy Joel, Bob Seger and their peers was no easy task.

"Freaks and Geeks" ran for only one television season, but arguably remains the most sought-after series yet to be released on DVD. Just 18 episodes were made, but its legend has exploded over time. Cast members have gone on to stardom, articles have continued to be written, internet activity abounds. Shout! Factory celebrates this incredible television series with the passionate treatment it deserves.

Box set features:
- The complete series – all 18 episodes on 6 DVDs, including the director’s cut of the pilot, with never-before-seen footage.
- Deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes footage and outtakes.
- 29 audio commentaries by the actors, writers, directors, network executives, parents of cast members and obsessive fans.
- 28-page booklet with an essay by "Freaks and Geeks" creator Paul Feig, Q&A with executive producer/writer Judd Apatow and illustrated by extremely geeky photos.
- Deluxe DVDigistak style package with graphics behind the clear trays in a sturdy slip-case.

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Well, the ride is over. The last three episodes were awesome. D-Dogg, you’ll enjoy them, if you ever decide to watch them. Harold has some more great lines and Ben Stiller playing the secret service role is classic. Ken and his sarcastic comments have really grown on me over the episodes. I didn’t like him at first, because of his role in Donnie Darko, but he has redeemed himself in my book.

I wonder if the people that watched this back when it aired knew that the season finale would be the last that they would see of these characters. I almost shed a tear at the end, knowing that this was the end.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the people that watched this back when it aired knew that the season finale would be the last that they would see of these characters. I almost shed a tear at the end, knowing that this was the end.

Great, you just added another week to my F&G holdout.

:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz