Forget need/forget who we will draft-Who is the best player in this draft and why.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Please no campaigning for one particular player. Please no bashing of one player just because you want the Cards to pick somebody else. Give me an honest, objective evaluation of who will be the best player in this draft.

Actually I want 2 opinions:
A. Who will be the best player next year
B. Who will be the best player 3 years from now.

Here are my selections:
A. Best player next year-Charlie Rogers-I think he makes a huge Randy Moss type of impact with most likely the Lions. Joey Harrington is a year older and they have a decent pass blocking line who will give Rogers a chance to get down field and give Harrington time to throw the deep bomb. Pair those two up with an excellent offensive mind (Steve Marriucci) and the potential for immediate impact is there.

B. Best player 3 years from now-Byron Leftwich-I have no doubt that if he stays healthy he will have the biggest longterm impact on whatever team selects him. He combines tremendous physical tools with ever better leadership and intangible skills. Will lead a team to more than one Super Bowl in his career. A rare player who has the rare gift of making those around him better. Marshall teammates were crying when he took the field for the last time, he had that kind of impact on his teammates. That kind of leadership can't be taught.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Holian
Please no campaigning for one particular player. Please no bashing of one player just because you want the Cards to pick somebody else. Give me an honest, objective evaluation of who will be the best player in this draft.

Actually I want 2 opinions:
A. Who will be the best player next year
B. Who will be the best player 3 years from now.

Here are my selections:
A. Best player next year-Charlie Rogers-I think he makes a huge Randy Moss type of impact with most likely the Lions. Joey Harrington is a year older and they have a decent pass blocking line who will give Rogers a chance to get down field and give Harrington time to throw the deep bomb. Pair those two up with an excellent offensive mind (Steve Marriucci) and the potential for immediate impact is there.

B. Best player 3 years from now-Byron Leftwich-I have no doubt that if he stays healthy he will have the biggest longterm impact on whatever team selects him. He combines tremendous physical tools with ever better leadership and intangible skills. Will lead a team to more than one Super Bowl in his career. A rare player who has the rare gift of making those around him better. Marshall teammates were crying when he took the field for the last time, he had that kind of impact on his teammates. That kind of leadership can't be taught.

Honest and objective? You hit the nail on the head.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I agree about Leftwich in 3 years.Next year,my vote goes to Newman.WR is a hard position for a rookie to come in and dominate.Plus Harrington is still a young QB.Newman can make an impact on returns and in the defensive backfield.Db is also probably easier to make in transition to the NFL.But it is one of the toughest to play.

hef

Veteran
Reaction score
3 years, i absolutely agree w/ leftwitch
this year nobody will have more of an impact or the ability to strike fear in the oposition than suggs.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Good question

A) Best player next year: Terrence Newman. He's got all the tools necessary to be a big playmaker in this league. His maturity will help in his rookie year.

B) Best player three years from now: Terrell Suggs. He's not 20 yet, WAS a running back in high school, and set the all time NCAA sack record last year. This kid has everything going for him. He's a gifted athlete, not just a football player. Agility and leverage learned in different sports will always benefit his NFL career. He's smart, I think 39 on the test, and watching him play the game, I see him do things no other players do. His angles in the pass rush, catch blockers totally off gaurd, and I saw him run down halfbacks from the opposite side many times. His attitude is also an asset, as his his media presence.

C) Biggest bust in the draft: Byron Leftwich. This player has been overhyped all year. He WON'T remain healthy. I remember the defining moment of his year, getting carried down the feild by teammates, with a broken leg. That was ALL propoganda. I've had the same injury he had, he didn't need to be carried, he could have done it on his own, but that wouldn't have made him famous. Since then...he's been too hurt to be tested. Hmmm...that leg injury of his heals in about 6 weeks. He's already got his excuse covered for the rest of his career.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Re: Good question

Originally posted by Lex
C) Biggest bust in the draft: Byron Leftwich. This player has been overhyped all year. He WON'T remain healthy. I remember the defining moment of his year, getting carried down the feild by teammates, with a broken leg. That was ALL propoganda. I've had the same injury he had, he didn't need to be carried, he could have done it on his own, but that wouldn't have made him famous. Since then...he's been too hurt to be tested. Hmmm...that leg injury of his heals in about 6 weeks. He's already got his excuse covered for the rest of his career.

So who are you, Miss Cleo? You can state he won't remain healthy as a fact? Funny, because no one else can. I love how you say he didn't have to be carried. Yeah, MAYBE he could have 'done it' on his own, but 2 problems there. One, it might be the same kind of an injury, but no 2 injuries are alike. Two, even if he could walk, could he sprint full speed all the way downfield to keep from eating up clock? Doubtful, if he was hurt.

Still, I love the conspiracy theory. I'm sure once he hurt his leg, the only thing they told him through his helmet mike was to really ham it up for the TV cameras. Not as if he had anything else, like trying to win a game, on his mind at the time.

Everyone's entitled to post at will, but please, don't just rip a kid apart like this that doesn't deserve it. Yes, I like Leftwich, but if he does horribly at his workout, or if he's hurt, I won't still be clamoring to draft him. I am a realist, after all.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Best player next year: Jordan Gross

Best in 3 years: Charles Rogers

2nd best: Marcus Trufant

Stout

Reaction score
Oh, yes, I forgot to make the prognostication.

Now: Newman-unfortunately, because he's headed to the Girls, who have a good D and need a good CB

Three Years: Leftwich, if his health checks out. Otherwise Rogers.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Best now: Newman followed by Charles Rogers

3 Years: Leftwich(Suggs a close #2--Boss Bailey #3)

3 years from now leaving the team who drafted them scratching their heads and saying "What were we thinking?": Andre Woolfork or Andre Johnson

Stout

Reaction score
See, though I think Rogers will end up being good in a few years, I feel he'll suffer the freshman WR jinx. WRs just tend not to be that good in their first season. Who knows? I could be wrong on that.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best player now:

I would say Suggs will make the most impact next year, whether it is for Houston, the Bears, or the Cardinals.

Best player in three years:

Leftwich. True pocket passers that have quick releases and can throw the ball accurately downfield don't grow on trees.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard