For posterity: What will Kevin Kolb's role be in 2013?

What will Kevin Kolb's role be in 2013

• Kevin Kolb will back up for the Cardinals.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is not a debate thread. But, all of these individual Kolb's fine, Kolb sucks, Kolb's the answer, cut Kolb debates are annoying.

One time, for posterity and I told you so later or whatever.. get it out of your system and lets discuss something else. If this starts up again, we can link here.

Public poll.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think they will stay with him (hopefully with a reduced contract) and he will be the starter day one. They will also draft a qb in the early rounds.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Not only do I expect that Kolb will be the Week 1 starter, I'd wager that he'll be playing on the full $9 million salary that he's scheduled to make right now. If Kolb's agent has shown anything, it's that he can get a middling player paid over and over again.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not only do I expect that Kolb will be the Week 1 starter, I'd wager that he'll be playing on the full $9 million salary that he's scheduled to make right now. If Kolb's agent has shown anything, it's that he can get a middling player paid over and over again.

Can't argue with you on that. :bang:

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Can't see it. Not with his injury issues.

A fresh start with a UFA, a trade for a QB or a draft pick is the way to go---we've got to get a QB that BA and TM will be very excited about.

Can't see them thinking that Kolb is that guy.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Too many unknowns with bonus, free agency, draft, and june 1st cuts to make a decision. Also what someone wants and what actually happens is completely another thing.

Is this about guessing what will happen, or trying to peg what SHOULD happen?

I mean people can guess all they want, some will just be right because they happened to guess it. Props for that don't really mean much. It's like guessing what number the roulette wheel lands on.

Personally I feel Kolb should be gone. If not, then he should be a backup. No real NFL team that has any aspirations of succeeding should have him as starter. Meanwhile I think the staff will look at the film of Kolb, the line, and how Kolb got injured.

One thing I think is important is that even behind a very good line, Kolb in the course of the year will get injured. So coaching up the line might or might not keep him active for another game or three, but eventually a small hit comes and he's gone. That points to needing a replacement, but what is there out there? Who wants to come here? Are they wooed by other teams with more cap room?

Now if they decide cap isn't conducive to cutting him (something I disagree with when you consider more than just this year), they might be forced to keep him even if they want to get rid of him.

They also might have cheap ideas to replace him IF they come to that conclusion (or some other that necessitates his departure). But those cheap ideas might not be available when we pick, or in the round we would wish to pick them. The FA targets might not sign here or for the money we may offer due to cap constraints.

I'm not really interested in guessing, I'm more interested in figuring out legitimately what we should do and then seeing if that is right or wrong hopefully by the Cardinals doing something similar.

What the Cards should do is make sure they have a starting caliber QB, and a quality backup. Currently we may have an injury prone backup being paid like a top 15 QB. Whether or not they make moves to gain one or have the ability to do this is another question. Is one even available? In FA or the draft? I can see our top 15 paid injury prone backup starting the season as a possibility, or being a backup, or being gone.

Still way too early to make an informed decision. Once we know who the QB's are going to be going into training camp I believe is a better time for a poll such as this. Which very well might be after the draft, or a week after the draft (allowing time to sign someone if we whiff in the draft), and even then there's potential for someone to be signed in June.

Until then we're just guessing wildly with so many factors that are fluid. Even though someone is 'right', they really can be wrong. They might want Kolb gone, but he may start. Who's right then? Once we know who we have on the roster, it goes to who on the team is the best choice. What is the rationale behind it? So on and so forth.

Otherwise we might as well praise the winner of a lottery. Which is a bit ridiculous imo. But hey it is a message board. But who wants to give props for someone guessing with no basis behind it other than a guess?

LuckyNumber11

Rookie
Reaction score
I personally like Kolb but with BA coming in he is on his way out. He isn't the type of QB that he likes to use.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This should not even be a question. A below average player when healthy, who is almost never healthy and paid pro-bowl money.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Can't see it. Not with his injury issues.

A fresh start with a UFA, a trade for a QB or a draft pick is the way to go---we've got to get a QB that BA and TM will be very excited about.

Can't see them thinking that Kolb is that guy.

If they couldn't get themselves excited about Kevin Kolb, why would either of them have taken this job to begin with?

It's not like they both showed up at the Cardinals facility and found Kevin Kolb under the Christmas Tree like a gift from an unloved aunt.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they couldn't get themselves excited about Kevin Kolb, why would either of them have taken this job to begin with?

It's not like they both showed up at the Cardinals facility and found Kevin Kolb under the Christmas Tree like a gift from an unloved aunt.

Because Bruce Arians had tons of other head coaching job offers to pick from? I am not saying that it was a case of 'beggars cant be choosers' but I dont think him being "excited" or even wanting to keep Kolb would have much bearing on him taking the job.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Because Bruce Arians had tons of other head coaching job offers to pick from? I am not saying that it was a case of 'beggars cant be choosers' but I dont think him being "excited" or even wanting to keep Kolb would have much bearing on him taking the job.

Maybe, although reports on whether or not Arians had other job offers differ. But what about Tom Moore? There isn't a consensus quarterback for the Cards to take, and (I imagine) he's pretty secure with whatever money he made in the NFL (and the coaching pension that originally lead to his retirement).

It seemed pretty clear to me that there's a bit of the thumb of ownership on the scale for Kevin Kolb. Steve Keim was part of the group that formed the consensus to bring him in, and he has personnel control along with the remaining front office member who approved the Kolb acquisition: Michael Bidwill.

I think that people who believe that Bruce Arians or Tom Moore are somehow going to "choose" what quarterback(s) are with the team into training camp are deluding themselves. If that's the case, then this is just another case of replacing Ken Whisenhunt with Ken Whisenhunt.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
i just don't see a clear seperation in skill sets between Kolb and many other low end starters and back up QB's in the NFL? Except the pay day!

I mean I see Kapernicks , and even Russel Wilsons skill sets, Bradfords too.
Give me a reason to keep Kolb over Hoyer? or say Matt Flynn? or Alex Smith?

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
i just don't see a clear seperation in skill sets between Kolb and many other low end starters and back up QB's in the NFL? Except the pay day!

I mean I see Kapernicks , and even Russel Wilsons skill sets, Bradfords too.
Give me a reason to keep Kolb over Hoyer? or say Matt Flynn? or Alex Smith?
If you can't find that reason on your own, you slippin amigo. And far as Alex Smith and Flynn go, I think they can make it through a whole season. If Kolb could do that, I would take him over all three vato.

MWOOD92

All Star
Reaction score
Only way he stays is with a restructured contract... which I can see happening.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard