"Fitness" Group of 44 rescued from Superstition Wilderness

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Superstition Fire & Medical District, PCSO and DPS responded to Lost Dutchman State Park last night to assist a group of forty-four hikers out of the wilderness area of the park. Several of the hikers were overcome with heat. Two of the hikers were evacuated by DPS Ranger Helicopter. The remaining hikers were assisted out by reconnaissance teams made up of Superstition Fire & Medical Technical Rescue Members and Park Rangers.

Dumb asses started their hike at 3 PM! When it was 113 degrees.

Plus groups aren't supposed to be more than 15 in the Wilderness

Reactions: LVG

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
First day of fitness camp..... let's go for a walk outside.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure how people think hiking in the desert in the afternoon is a good idea. Drive to the woods.

This is a consistent every year issue somehow. Makes no sense. Just walking to my car sucks at 4pm, let alone in a open friggin desert with no shade.

Reactions: LVG

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
not sure how people think hiking in the desert in the afternoon is a good idea. Drive to the woods.

This is a consistent every year issue somehow. Makes no sense. Just walking to my car sucks at 4pm, let alone in a open friggin desert with no shade.
But it's a dry heat

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
This was apparently a group from out of town that decided to go on one of the most difficult hikes in the valley. They were told not to go from Park Rangers before they went. They are not going to be billed for the cost of the rescue.

IIRC, most states have a gross negligence standard (conscious and voluntary disregard of the danger) for billing - you have to be grossly negligent to be billed for the cost of a rescue. Connecticut has a negligence standard, which means you're almost likely to get a bill from the state.

But a lot of states just won't bill you because they'd rather that you call than die.

[edit] And, in my opinion, they could be grossly negligent here depending on what the rangers told them.

Bottom line - always know your limits and plan ahead.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson