First Unit O-Line

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There has been a lot of speculation as to who will be the starting O-Line. According to the Cardinal's website, here it is as of right now:

You must be registered for see images

Looks like Sowell was given the starting job at RT, and Fanaika is still the guy at RG. It will be interesting to see if Massie and Watford can get into the lineup. Personally, I think Watford has a better chance.

Also good to see Elly in the backfield with the starters.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sowell should get the nod at this point because he was the starting LT last year. Sure he wasn't any good at it but he was who BA had as his starter so you have to show him some respect. He learned the playbook (paying attention Massie?) and battled his but off.

Same deal with Fanaika, started all last year so it should be TC before Watford has a chance to take over as the starter.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, I almost forgot they were back on the field. Here's the calendar: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/events-calendar.html?year=2014&month=5&day=8

Oh, so today was just a one-day workout, with the next thing being OTA's on 05/20. Here's the video: http://www.azcardinals.com/videos-p...ld-work-/a98dd503-6386-4922-ab51-3d8432b5dcf3

And photo gallery: http://www.azcardinals.com/videos-p...workouts/44f131f5-c74a-456c-91fc-81dacee983d7

And a bonus feature. Keim Teim on Jim Rome: http://www.azcardinals.com/videos-p...ome-Show/abd54b0f-ba5b-4f41-804e-91c0fb00af64

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
This OLine could be one of our better ones. Not that that is saying much.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Gotta like how low Cooper stays when firing out his stance.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Watford or Massie can't start by Thursday, and I mean in the coaches' evaluation, then all of a sudden an OL-man might be drafted in the first or second round. JMO.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Love the left side of the O-line. The right side, not so much.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Love the left side of the O-line. The right side, not so much.

So True , You can have a line that is strong on one side , and still have a weak line . I'm sure the Coaches are looking very closely at that right side during this practice day.

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So True , You can have a line that is strong on one side , and still have a weak line . I'm sure the Coaches are looking very closely at that right side during these practice days .

Detroit played with an all rookie right side last season, and it wasn't the reason that they failed, again.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
It would not surprise me if one of the top tackles somehow fell to #20 that the Cardinals would not hesitate to pull the trigger and select an Tackle over anyone else. With the left side set and center being what it is, if you can shore up half of the right side and then have 3-4 guys competing for that last spot then a long time weakness is suddenly one of your strongest units.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It would not surprise me if one of the top tackles somehow fell to #20 that the Cardinals would not hesitate to pull the trigger and select an Tackle over anyone else. With the left side set and center being what it is, if you can shore up half of the right side and then have 3-4 guys competing for that last spot then a long time weakness is suddenly one of your strongest units.

Would love the Cards to get one of the WOW LT coming out this year: Robinson/Matthews then Lewan. Even Zack Martin would be hard to pass on. I think we are going to have lots of unusual trades in the 1st round they may move one of these guys down to where we can afford to trade up without selling the stadium. That's wishful thinking. Since I don't think the Cards will have a chance or to trade up for one of these guys, I believe we should take the D player to continue the building process on the D.

We can get into the playoffs with a dominant D and what we have on the O. The last Seahag game a case in point. Palmer threw 4 INTs . . . and the D shut down the Seahags and Cards pulled out a win with Palmer's late TD and Dansby's hustle INT.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013122211/2013/REG16/cardinals@seahawks#menu=highlights&tab=recap&recap=fullstory

SS / OLB / ILB / DE.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Would love the Cards to get one of the WOW LT coming out this year: Robinson/Matthews then Lewan. Even Zack Martin would be hard to pass on. I think we are going to have lots of unusual trades in the 1st round they may move one of these guys down to where we can afford to trade up without selling the stadium. That's wishful thinking. Since I don't think the Cards will have a chance or to trade up for one of these guys, I believe we should take the D player to continue the building process on the D.

We can get into the playoffs with a dominant D and what we have on the O. The last Seahag game a case in point. Palmer threw 4 INTs . . . and the D shut down the Seahags and Cards pulled out a win with Palmer's late TD and Dansby's hustle INT.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013122211/2013/REG16/cardinals@seahawks#menu=highlights&tab=recap&recap=fullstory

SS / OLB / ILB / DE.

I tend to agree with you. This is not going to be your ordinary draft this year. If one of the stud linemen is not there at #20 then I hope we go OLB who can rush the passer. I believe with what we have in the defensive backfield especially with PP and AC as CBs then it gives Bowles some flexibility at safety and I am hoping that with the numbers at backup CB one of them will step up and become a factor. I am also hoping that by adding a quality pass rusher it puts more pressure on the opposing QB so who will have to get the ball out quicker requiring less time for the DBs to cover.

I don't think the Defensive backfield on the team is all that bad. If they could consistently cover for 3-4 seconds and the defense could more often than not create pressure within that time then a pass rusher might be the best addition to this defense. The defense has two good CBs who I think Bowles can leave on an island a good deal of the time. If PP and AC can consistently take away the top two receivers then I think the defense will be left with favorable matchups more often than not. I think Johnson, Powers, Bethel, and Jefferson along with TM when he comes back from injury has enough talent to defend the middle part of the field. If Bethel and Jefferson or at least one of them can take the next step then this backfield doesn't look bad at all.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mayock predicts that Robinson, Mathews, Lewan and Martin will all be gone by pick 12 in the 1st rd. I'm betting that none of them will be there at 20 and any thoughts of trading up in this draft deserves

:mulli: :slap: :trout: :gun:

With the addition of Veldheer and getting Cooper back means this line is vastly better than last year. Sowell or Massie will be at least as good as Winston and I bet Faniaka is upgraded by Watford or Sowell.

Still want the SK to draft another OT at some point in this draft but a OLBer and Safety are much bigger needs. CB, TE, WR and DE are also positions that should be helped through this years draft.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Still want the SK to draft another OT at some point in this draft but a OLBer and Safety are much bigger needs. CB, TE, WR and DE are also positions that should be helped through this years draft.

I wonder how early Morgan Moses is going to go. I caught him on a couple draft shows. He seems like a really high motor, high character guy who will be a great locker room presence for somebody for years. From a personality standpoint, he has Cardinals written all over him.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Sowell should get the nod at this point because he was the starting LT last year. Sure he wasn't any good at it but he was who BA had as his starter so you have to show him some respect. He learned the playbook (paying attention Massie?) and battled his but off.

Same deal with Fanaika, started all last year so it should be TC before Watford has a chance to take over as the starter.

I think that's a bit unfair. Not playing at a PB level is not the same as being a bad player. Massie and Watford has more upside physically, but in my opinion both Sowell and Fanaika were pushing their way into the "solid starter" category by the end of the season. That their talent might not be to more than solid/borderline starter material is another issue

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Mayock predicts that Robinson, Mathews, Lewan and Martin will all be gone by pick 12 in the 1st rd. I'm betting that none of them will be there at 20 .
I'd bet Mayock right now that all 4 are not gone by 12. I'd be surprised if 3 of the are. Martin is not going top 12. Mayock is such a ND homer it's ridiculous. Look at his top 5 and very chance he has to put a ND player in there, he does.

Martin may make it to 20 but he's one guy I don't want the Cards to take.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think that's a bit unfair. Not playing at a PB level is not the same as being a bad player. Massie and Watford has more upside physically, but in my opinion both Sowell and Fanaika were pushing their way into the "solid starter" category by the end of the season. That their talent might not be to more than solid/borderline starter material is another issue

When BASK publicly state that LT has to be upgraded that pretty much tells you Sowell was fairly bad at LT.

Fanaika was solidsih but definitely needs to be upgraded.

JMHO and I'm glad both are on the team, I just want them as back ups.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd bet Mayock right now that all 4 are not gone by 12. I'd be surprised if 3 of the are. Martin is not going top 12. Mayock is such a ND homer it's ridiculous. Look at his top 5 and very chance he has to put a ND player in there, he does.

Martin may make it to 20 but he's one guy I don't want the Cards to take.

Well LT's get over drafted and Martin (even with is T Rex arms) played LT and Mayock isn't the only one who likes him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

All these Mockers have Martin going to the Giants except for one and he has him going to the Dolphins.

GBN has him going to the Dolphins and Walter has him going to the Giants.

So I'm done looking for Mock Drafts that don't have Martin going before our pick because I haven't found any so far.

Mayock may be a ND homer but in this case it appears to be justified. Martin can play any Oline position so even if he can't make it at LT he will be starting for a team this year.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder how early Morgan Moses is going to go. I caught him on a couple draft shows. He seems like a really high motor, high character guy who will be a great locker room presence for somebody for years. From a personality standpoint, he has Cardinals written all over him.

Based on team needs I bet he does go in rd 1. Panthers REALLY need a LT and if Martin goes before the Dolphins pick they REALLY need a LT as well.