Find it strange

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
In a league where college football's approach is dictating what a majority of teams are allowed to do now compared to the past, why college coaches and coordinators are not being considered in these hires. There has to be some innovative OCs out there in the college ranks which are not as extreme as Chip Kelly was which could prosper

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
In a league where college football's approach is dictating what a majority of teams are allowed to do now compared to the past, why college coaches and coordinators are not being considered in these hires. There has to be some innovative OCs out there in the college ranks which are not as extreme as Chip Kelly was which could prosper

The problem is, the best offensive minds in college football are getting paid more than what they would make as NFL coordinators...which is why it is getting more difficult to lure college coaches into the NFL.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

100% agree.

It is why I would like to see John DeFlippio as the OC, or Darell Bevell as the OC. They run more of a college type offense.

The other advantage to changing your offense to a more college type offense is that players will not have to be "re-taught" the game of football like many seem to have to do. Positions like offensive line, and quarterback seem to have an easier transition since that is all they have known up to this point.

I was 100% Chip Kelly because I believed his offense could not stand up in the NFL and the NFL game. Which I actually still believe.

That being said, what has changed, is that I do not believe the NFL gives teams enough time to develop their players to run a pro offense. Thus teams will lose games, especially earlier in the season because one team can run an offense better as a unit, than the other. Because it doesn't matter if you run a pro style offense if your players do not know what they are doing. Thus a well run college type offense will beat a poorly run pro style offense.

The league over the last year or so is proving this to be somewhat true.

It has been an interesting sub-discussion for a couple years now. Unfortunately, sports reporting in the media talks more about tabloid stories than topics like you bring up, so it is never discussed.

I would like to know what a Bill Parcells, or Bruce Arians, or Bill Belichek, or Mike McCarthy would say about this type of topic.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I felt the same way Rug felt about Chip Kelly's offense, but I believe that what blew it up was that it left the defense on the field for too high a percentage of the time.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I felt the same way Rug felt about Chip Kelly's offense, but I believe that what blew it up was that it left the defense on the field for too high a percentage of the time.

Agreed, but does your defense get anymore rest if your pro style offense keeps going 3 & out ? I honestly do not know the answer, but the fact the question is even brought up as a good argument these days tells us the NFL is changing.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed, but does your defense get anymore rest if your pro style offense keeps going 3 & out ? I honestly do not know the answer, but the fact the question is even brought up as a good argument these days tells us the NFL is changing.
A good example of this is that we don't know who our QB will be or, accordingly, what offensive system he'll be operating within. Will it be a standard Pocket/Play Action setup like we've used under BA? Or will it be a dirct snap/zone-read, Jet Sweep kind of deal featuring a Cam Newton type QB like they used in Carolina?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
the speed offense
works great as long as it works. but when you go three and out your defenders have only had about 45 seconds of clock time to rest. with a standard pro style offense, even going three and out they get a bit more rest.
it just has to work because three and outs are much quicker

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

Jeff---teams are running Chip Kelly like offenses right now---they go no huddle, take a few checks and hard counts, but let the play clock go down to 10 or 5---for the exact reason you are stating.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I forget the exact stat but when Chip was the Eagles HC the Defense had a significant increase in plays per game and of course for the year. Not only did the D get tired during some games but wore down towards the end of the season as well.

Brighteyes

Super Bowl!
Reaction score
I'm not sure that great winning strategy at the college level translates. College involves recruitment and rapid turnover (more than 25%) of players every year. Complex schemes don't work.

The one thing that stood out was how Chip Kelly's offense had few plays (4 or 5?). I remember Todd Bowles making the comment. Chip's whole mojo went rapidly downhill. And don't forget Nick Saban.

Regardless, has there been any recent college coaches that worked out well?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I'm not sure that great winning strategy at the college level translates. College involves recruitment and rapid turnover (more than 25%) of players every year. Complex schemes don't work.

The one thing that stood out was how Chip Kelly's offense had few plays (4 or 5?). I remember Todd Bowles making the comment. Chip's whole mojo went rapidly downhill. And don't forget Nick Saban.

Regardless, has there been any recent college coaches that worked out well?

At one time I would agree, but Sean McVay and a host of other playoff teams is showing otherwise.

You talk about the rapid turnover of college teams, well the NFL has 33% turnover, and less practice time. Plus they are teaching pro-style offenses that some kids have never seen throughout their football careers.

I am not even sold on my argument, so it is something that still remains to be seen at this point. At least for me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose