FINALLY! Thank Goodness We Broke Up the Best Pass Defense in the NFL

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
How do you upgrade over an already playoff-caliber defense? A top 5 defense?

We've taken two steps back: one was shedding a bunch of talent in the secondary, and the other was downgrading from one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL to one of the worst.

Meanwhile, we added a thoroughly mediocre back to replace the thoroughly mediocre back we cut last week--for the same price.

Congrats to the Arizona Cardinals for their low-risk approach. We don't want to risk winning more than 3 games and missing out on a top-shelf draft pick.

I already knew we would suck..... Now I am positive we are tanking the season.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They were a top 5 Passing Def, due to Campbell, Washington, PP, the aggressive scheme Horton ran and the very poor Offence. Shorter field equals less passing yards and more running. Watch the games and you will see our secondary get killed and out of place.

This is a dumb argument. If you check out the scoring and per-pass stats, it's pretty easy to see this isn't true.

Clearly you're pretty sold out to be an apologist for this organization. Have we done anything to improve our supposedly terrible run defense while dismantling our objectively elite pass defense?

No? Well, at least we're making progress on the offensive side of the ball. We did sign a quarterback.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do you upgrade over an already playoff-caliber defense? A top 5 defense?

We've taken two steps back: one was shedding a bunch of talent in the secondary, and the other was downgrading from one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL to one of the worst.

Meanwhile, we added a thoroughly mediocre back to replace the thoroughly mediocre back we cut last week--for the same price.

Congrats to the Arizona Cardinals for their low-risk approach. We don't want to risk winning more than 3 games and missing out on a top-shelf draft pick.

When Bowles has full control of a "D" for a full season and fails, you can say this and more, but now it's just bullocks.

And get a grip. We're into day two of the NFL year.

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
We still lost more than we won and didnt even make the playoffs......got to start from scratvh with new coach/gm

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We still lost more than we won and didnt even make the playoffs......got to start from scratvh with new coach/gm

This is a non sequitur. Even with a new coach and GM, why does it make sense to draw assets away from the only part of your team that's working?

What are these cuts purchasing? We "upgraded" from Adrian Wilson to Yeremiah Bell? We "upgraded" from Kerry Rhodes to Rashad Johnson?

There isn't an affirmative case to make that these signings improve the overall talent level of the defense or the team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except for Points Against and Wins. The games I care to remember last year we lost due to No Offence and the Defense giving up big plays. Of the 22 Ints Wilson had 1, Rhodes had 4. As I stated Rhodes will be a loss but it is not the end of the world.

Give me a break, I am not going to hold the failures of every other part of the roster against the one portion which was truly elite. And I was answering the question of if the pass defense was arguably the best (which they were), not whether these moves are the end of the world.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
IMO we are clearly the worst team in the NFL right now. I'm not ruling out 0-16

Not only are we losing talent for non-football reasons..... We are getting rid of core-leadership guys as well.

Our defense was the best part of last year. Now we have lost 75% of our starting secondary (all for cost reasons) and BOTH of our defensive captains from last year.

It's embarrassing to have to watch my team make the same horrible mistakes regime after regime after regime.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Yep, take a stregnth, add kyrponite, and you have the Arizona recepie for anti-success.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Not only are we losing talent for non-football reasons..... We are getting rid of core-leadership guys as well.

Our defense was the best part of last year. Now we have lost 75% of our starting secondary (all for cost reasons) and BOTH of our defensive captains from last year.

It's embarrassing to have to watch my team make the same horrible mistakes regime after regime after regime.
I wish the Bidwills would sell the team to Mark Cuban....Bidwills suck.