Film Study: What has happened to the Arizona Cardinals OFFENSE recently? NFL All-22 Film Breakdown

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

~7 minute marker says it all

Another great observation.

In the Seattle game in crunch time, wtf didnt Hop replace isabella on that route?

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting and yeah the announcers have been saying it for weeks. People here say Hop is alone on the left to make it easier for Murray to read if it's single or not but if that's true, it's clearly part of the problem because it's too easy to double or like Seattle triple him when hes' alone out there. NE doubled him so the only route was the 8 yard outs, the Rams did the same thing. So move him around if they want to double or triple the slot WR on the other side great, now we get Kirk in single coverage on the left.

It's sort of like the game in college when the other team double teamed Steph Curry the whole game so they just ran him away from the bucket and beat Loyola by 30. Steph had 0 points 3 shots but the team played 4 on 3 the whole game and blew out Loyola.

If teams want do that to Hop, move him to a different spot so that Kirk gets man coverage. Or if they're zoning and cheating to Hop, move him so they have to move the cheat in the zone to make it easier on the other guys to get open.

OP
OP
TaylorSwift

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Anyone have Kliffy's email so we can send him that?

I am little confused how having experienced NFL coaches like tom clements and keugler would lead to this.

I would think that they would have looked at these gameplans, pulled him side and tell him he needs to rethink some things??????

I know Keugler has improved the o-line although much of the success could be attributed to Kyler running.

I still think Kirk and yes even Isabella could be productive if Kliff didnt put them in a position to be toast against their 1 on 1 matchips all the time.

Hopkins all of the field changes the dynamic of the offense and opposing defenses completely.

K1 can go to the los and see who is covering up where, linebacker? safety? He knows can he attack with Hop out of the gate.

Defenses have to shift coverage

They cant play zone when Hop is all over the field, Hop will crush them.

But if they play man they are dead to rights either way.

Kliff please fix this. There is still time in the year to get this together.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting and yeah the announcers have been saying it for weeks. People here say Hop is alone on the left to make it easier for Murray to read if it's single or not but if that's true, it's clearly part of the problem because it's too easy to double or like Seattle triple him when hes' alone out there. NE doubled him so the only route was the 8 yard outs, the Rams did the same thing. So move him around if they want to double or triple the slot WR on the other side great, now we get Kirk in single coverage on the left.

It's sort of like the game in college when the other team double teamed Steph Curry the whole game so they just ran him away from the bucket and beat Loyola by 30. Steph had 0 points 3 shots but the team played 4 on 3 the whole game and blew out Loyola.

If teams want do that to Hop, move him to a different spot so that Kirk gets man coverage. Or if they're zoning and cheating to Hop, move him so they have to move the cheat in the zone to make it easier on the other guys to get open.

Its not like this is the only way to make it easier for Kyler to read the defense. There are other, less costly ways.

Its like using your diamond wedding ring as a door stop. It might work, but it's not wise.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i will add one thing:

at 9:37 mark -- breaking down the throw to Isabella. If K1 reads and throws as he gets to the top of his drop, its a TD (assuming its caught...). Instead, K1 takes one more hop step and throws. That hesitation was all it took for an open route to become a closed down one.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am little confused how having experienced NFL coaches like tom clements and keugler would lead to this.

I would think that they would have looked at these gameplans, pulled him side and tell him he needs to rethink some things??????

I know Keugler has improved the o-line although much of the success could be attributed to Kyler running.

I still think Kirk and yes even Isabella could be productive if Kliff didnt put them in a position to be toast against their 1 on 1 matchips all the time.

Hopkins all of the field changes the dynamic of the offense and opposing defenses completely.

K1 can go to the los and see who is covering up where, linebacker? safety? He knows can he attack with Hop out of the gate.

Defenses have to shift coverage

They cant play zone when Hop is all over the field, Hop will crush them.

But if they play man they are dead to rights either way.

Kliff please fix this. There is still time in the year to get this together.

Excellent points. One would assume Clements is part of the process. Heck you would think jerry Sullivan with his vast experience would have something to say about how they are using Hopkins.

Maybe Kliff is heeding their counsel and this is the result. Maybe he is ignoring it thinking he is the smartest guy in the room. Who knows?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i will add one thing:

at 9:37 mark -- breaking down the throw to Isabella. If K1 reads and throws as he gets to the top of his drop, its a TD (assuming its caught...). Instead, K1 takes one more hop step and throws. That hesitation was all it took for an open route to become a closed down one.

Agreed but I think the point there is exactly what the guy said, you do not WANT to throw to Andy there. I don't think he's the primary guy there. I believe in tricking defenses sometimes at key points in games by running a play to someone they don't expect but that was NOT the case there IMO. Kyler simply read the play and said the guy who's open is Andy, but by the time he saw that, it was as you said a split late. I still feel that is a catch or a PI with a ton of NFL Wr's and Andy didn't handle it well, but yes thrown a bit earlier it's an easier catch

But the guys point is valid, on that play they allowed Seattle to have 3 guys on Hopkins which basically pre determined where the open guy was going to be. Sometimes you get away with that and go to Hop anyways, but on a play like that he made the right read, just didn't execute

OP
OP
TaylorSwift

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Excellent points. One would assume Clements is part of the process. Heck you would think jerry Sullivan with his vast experience would have something to say about how they are using Hopkins.

Maybe Kliff is heeding their counsel and this is the result. Maybe he is ignoring it thinking he is the smartest guy in the room. Who knows?

Not a lot of noise on the Clements Kliff front. I would think veteran NFL minds know that the current formula is just not good and would get on Kliff to adapt more.

OP
OP
TaylorSwift

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Agreed but I think the point there is exactly what the guy said, you do not WANT to throw to Andy there. I don't think he's the primary guy there. I believe in tricking defenses sometimes at key points in games by running a play to someone they don't expect but that was NOT the case there IMO. Kyler simply read the play and said the guy who's open is Andy, but by the time he saw that, it was as you said a split late. I still feel that is a catch or a PI with a ton of NFL Wr's and Andy didn't handle it well, but yes thrown a bit earlier it's an easier catch

But the guys point is valid, on that play they allowed Seattle to have 3 guys on Hopkins which basically pre determined where the open guy was going to be. Sometimes you get away with that and go to Hop anyways, but on a play like that he made the right read, just didn't execute

This is what makes great coaching though.

An "offensive guru" with a sub .500 record in college should be able to make sure the right players are getting the ball at the right times

Kyler was late, but If Hopkins is running that route, Cardinals tie ethat game.

Its not rocket science, at least I dont think so.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what makes great coaching though.

An "offensive guru" with a sub .500 record in college should be able to make sure the right players are getting the ball at the right times

Kyler was late, but If Hopkins is running that route, Cardinals tie ethat game.

Its not rocket science, at least I dont think so.

Agreed but I don't think if Hopkins runs that route, he's that open, I think like last game multiple guys cover him and someone else is wide open.

You just hope it's someone who won't drop the ball

I fully understand the concept of at times using Hop as a decoy it just makes sense. The problem is we're doing it half the game now.

Even just calling more routes for him in the middle, even if Kyler doesn't throw them it opens others up as we saw on the TD pass to arnold.

OP
OP
TaylorSwift

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Agreed but I don't think if Hopkins runs that route, he's that open, I think like last game multiple guys cover him and someone else is wide open.

You just hope it's someone who won't drop the ball

I fully understand the concept of at times using Hop as a decoy it just makes sense. The problem is we're doing it half the game now.

Even just calling more routes for him in the middle, even if Kyler doesn't throw them it opens others up as we saw on the TD pass to arnold.

In the USA today article, they showed that Cardinals run RPOs with slants incorporated into them rather successfully.

Thats the sort of stuff that will get a young diminutive qb more comfortable throwing over the middle.

I think Kliff really has this "my system" can work mentality that is running up against its shelf life in the NFL

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the USA today article, they showed that Cardinals run RPOs with slants incorporated into them rather successfully.

Thats the sort of stuff that will get a young diminutive qb more comfortable throwing over the middle.

I think Kliff really has this "my system" can work mentality that is running up against its shelf life in the NFL

Hard to say if you watch the 49er game again we threw left to Hop all day. It was like Kyler throws better left, Hop is always open, keep doing it until they stop it. But we're now 12 games in and that is still all we seem to do with Hop.

The play he drew PI on I think it was on the missed FG drive in the first half, that whole game I was waiting for that you could see Ramsey trying to jump that out route and he wanted to jump that one realized he was dead and grabbed him. We got like 20 yards out of it. Hop is one of those guys he's so good you have to take advantage of it. Just like one of the biggest values of Shaq in basketball was they were always in the bonus because he drew so many fouls, with Hop he draws a ton of PI's, so throw to him and take the yards

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

i dont disagree with the idea the Hop needs to be moved around more

I also think that if you had swapped Hop and Andy on that route-- SEA isnt double teaming Andy and letting Hop run a corner route.

but: the playcall put a guy open for a TD throw that i would expect a starting NFL qb to make. I also think K1 saw it the whole way, but threw late. i also think that K1 with more experience makes that throw 10/10 times in the future.

OP
OP
TaylorSwift

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hard to say if you watch the 49er game again we threw left to Hop all day. It was like Kyler throws better left, Hop is always open, keep doing it until they stop it. But we're now 12 games in and that is still all we seem to do with Hop.

The play he drew PI on I think it was on the missed FG drive in the first half, that whole game I was waiting for that you could see Ramsey trying to jump that out route and he wanted to jump that one realized he was dead and grabbed him. We got like 20 yards out of it. Hop is one of those guys he's so good you have to take advantage of it. Just like one of the biggest values of Shaq in basketball was they were always in the bonus because he drew so many fouls, with Hop he draws a ton of PI's, so throw to him and take the yards

But thats the thing.

Putting Hop all over the field allows Murray to get comfortable throwing all over the place. He knows Hop can bail him out so it makes getting the ball out in rhythm that much easier over time.

I get wanting to abuse the matchup but Kliffs methodology is not opportunistic at all

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont disagree with the idea the Hop needs to be moved around more

I also think that if you had swapped Hop and Andy on that route-- SEA isnt double teaming Andy and letting Hop run a corner route.

but: the playcall put a guy open for a TD throw that i would expect a starting NFL qb to make. I also think K1 saw it the whole way, but threw late. i also think that K1 with more experience makes that throw 10/10 times in the future.

agreed the throw is open because of the coverage and they don't cover Hop they way they do Andy, because they know Hop will catch it or draw the penalty, or both

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One thing is certain, if KK doesn't change his personnel packages & start adapting to what defenses have been doing to us on sunday, our hopes of making the playoffs will be over. I personally wanna see him start using 12 & 21 personnel more like last season. Get the damn TE's involved for one. Put Hopkins in motion also. Put Kyler under center & maybe run some out of the pistol? Running out of the pistol the LB's can't get a fast enough read on which way the RB is gonna go, that hesitation will allow the TE more freedom to get behind the 2nd level. One would think that Clements & Sullivan have been in KK's ear this week? But who knows? Probably more of the same but our backs are now against the wall. Something better change Sunday or I may need a new remote control lol?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Isabella throw vs Seattle is a read. That play was 100% designed to go to Isabella and only Isabella pre snap. The only other option is Nuk but Kyler should know that he's double covered from reading the D.

You can see it's designed for Isabella because Kirk is running a curl short of the sticks to keep his DB away from where Bella is running. Fitz is doing the same with a dig route for the same reason. This is a 3rd down play. You don't run those two guys short of the sticks unless it's required to open the route for Andy. And it should have worked, it was a decent play call. You can see Isabella is covered by a linebacker and with the route he is running and the FS position this play is a done deal pre snap if Kyler times it right. He didn't have to go through any reads, it was just late.

This is one area I don't agree with the video. If you put Nuk in the slot there the defense completely changes what it's doing and the play wouldn't work. But I also agree it shouldn't be Isabella on a crucial 3rd down. I would have swapped Kirk and Isabella and had Kirk as the target. In this case the late throw wouldn't have made a difference, but I wouldn't bet my house on Isabella catching the ball even if the throw was on time.

This play was a bust simply because of a bad throw, but in my opinion Kyler isn't doing a good job of assessing where his primary reads should be pre snap so I made a thread about it.