Favorite Hip Hop/Soul Music Performers Thread

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Have any of you guys copped the new Jay-Z album?? If so give me your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
phillycard

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree Air. The beats are straight fire! And Jay consatntly steps up the lyrics. Just when you think he can't get any hotter. He proves cats wrong time and time again.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I used to be a huge fan of Hip Hop, until I got to college and became a little more educated (not meant to offend anyone).

I love the sound of Hip Hop, yet I reject the lyrics of many mainstream rappers. Too much promotion of violence (whether it's intended or not), degradation of women, and racial slurs.

I would love to see a more "enlightened" politically involved form of Hip Hop rise to the top, but that won't happen. Until something like that happens, I'll just stay away from negative forms of Hip Hop, and stick to the postive forms and of course my personal favorite genre, Drum n' Bass. :D

OP
OP
phillycard

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Krang, I could put you down with some artists.

It seems you just need to know where to go. If you're waiting for the more "mainstream" artists to change their "tune", you'll be waiting forever. Nowadays you have to weed through the trash to find the gold. Hip-hop is still great music. If you'd like to know where to begin, holla at me.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
I used to be a huge fan of Hip Hop, until I got to college and became a little more educated (not meant to offend anyone).

I love the sound of Hip Hop, yet I reject the lyrics of many mainstream rappers. Too much promotion of violence (whether it's intended or not), degradation of women, and racial slurs.

I would love to see a more "enlightened" politically involved form of Hip Hop rise to the top, but that won't happen. Until something like that happens, I'll just stay away from negative forms of Hip Hop, and stick to the postive forms and of course my personal favorite genre, Drum n' Bass. :D

Check out the Midnight Maruaders album from Tribe Called Quest.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I graduated college but still love rap, I hate mainstream rap recently, it all sounds the same and is about all that stupid bling bling crap. I listen more to underground Brotha Lynch Hung, Tech N9ne, Doomsday Productions, X-Raided, first degree, etc.

OP
OP
phillycard

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The underground is where it's at.

J-Live, Heiro, Rasco, etc. I like some mainstream, (jay, Em) but I'm still very picky.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Re: Krang, I could put you down with some artists.

Originally posted by phillycard
It seems you just need to know where to go. If you're waiting for the more "mainstream" artists to change their "tune", you'll be waiting forever. Nowadays you have to weed through the trash to find the gold. Hip-hop is still great music. If you'd like to know where to begin, holla at me.

That's why I said I still like the sound.

When I hear positive Hip Hop, that doesn't look to exploit teenagers love for guns and violence, I love it.

But you are totally correct. Looking for positive Hip Hop, is like looking through a dumpster searching for a something valuable.

That's a big reason why I stopped listening to Hip Hop, and started listening to Jungle and DnB. With Jungle and DnB, you have phat beats, but none of the negative message.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by DevonCardsFan
Brotha Lynch Hung, Tech N9ne, Doomsday Productions, X-Raided, first degree, etc.

Some sick muthas'. :D

I still like Brotha Lynch.....even though he has one of the sickest messages out there.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
quite fond of Blackalicious, Del, and Latyrx. Mainstream is crap.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite Hip-Hop artists are Mos Def and Talib Kweli. Don't know if this is considered Hip-Hop (so many variations), but I also love Daft Punk, Keith Sweat (has some Hip-Hop flavored songs), and The Roots (who have broaden their sound from more than just Hip-Hop)....

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Krang, I could put you down with some artists.

Originally posted by Krangthebrain
That's why I said I still like the sound.

When I hear positive Hip Hop, that doesn't look to exploit teenagers love for guns and violence, I love it.

But you are totally correct. Looking for positive Hip Hop, is like looking through a dumpster searching for a something valuable.

That's a big reason why I stopped listening to Hip Hop, and started listening to Jungle and DnB. With Jungle and DnB, you have phat beats, but none of the negative message.

How about Jurassic 5?

I don't listen to much new rap but I'm a sucker for old school 80's hip hop.

OP
OP
phillycard

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with some classic KRS!! Definitely chuck in some Rakim, PE, and Big Daddy Kane too.

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
What is yours? Mine is Tupac of course the best rapper of all time. but when it comes to newer stuff (1996-now) Project Pat and Krazie Bone, Esg, Devin and Scarface is where it is at.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
100%CardsFan said:
why cant I delete this and move it to the Music board?
you're being censored like Samwisegamgee

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
C & C Music Factory.

"Pump up the Jam, pump it up, pump it up, yeah pump it. oh a wa get your booty on the floor tonight, make my day."

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KingofCards said:
C & C Music Factory.

"Pump up the Jam, pump it up, pump it up, yeah pump it. oh a wa get your booty on the floor tonight, make my day."
That was Technotronic.... I'll never forget when Technotronic hired that model to that video for them since their singer wasnt all that hot....

C & C Music Factory most known tunes were the over-played "Things That Make You Go Hmmmm" and annoying "Everybody Dance Now".....

As far as my favorite hip-hop artist of today....It's Mos Def, Talib Kweli, The Roots, and Jurassic 5..

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I strated with.. Newulues. Ice Cube..Now i more non violence,, Redman and Kanye West

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn