• Mallet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quinn

Votes: 24 30.0%

• Total voters

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
Assuming that Fairley, Bowers, Green and (Let's make it Darcell Dareus for ****s and giggles) are off the board.

We do this on a Packers forum I'm a part of. You lay out all the possible options, and the board casts their votes for a few days and at the end of the voting period you delete the prospect with the fewest votes, and you do it again until there's only one choice left.

*I'm assuming that the CBA isn't done so tradeback isn't an option.

Choices are:

Patrick Peterson-CB-LSU

Cam Newton-QB-Auburn

Von Miller-OLB-Texas A&M

Blaine Gabbert-QB-Missouri

Robert Quinn-OLB-UNC

Ryan Mallet-QB-Arkansas

The Arizona Cardinals are on the clock!!

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Quinn. Our LBs have been neglected and devoid of young talent as far back as I can remember. If we don't want to be stuck in a hole for years to come, we have to inject more talent to our LB corps and stopping putting it off. Remember, we need time for our LBs to develop.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Quinn. Our LBs have been neglected and devoid of young talent as far back as I can remember. If we don't want to be stuck in a hole for years to come, we have to inject more talent to our LB corps and stopping putting it off. Remember, we need time for our LBs to develop.

Quinn is not considered an OLB. He is projected to be a DE in a 4 - 3 defense.

However I think we will all have a better feel for him after the Combine. We will know his real height, weight, speed and skill set. The Combine is critical for him having missed the entire 2010 season.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
None of the above...I believe Justin Houston will be a beastly 3-4 OLB & many here will react just like we did when Eric Swann was drafted. I think Houston's stock will rise after the combine & if we get him our 3-4 D will finally have some bite to it.

OP
OP
A

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
None of the above...I believe Justin Houston will be a beastly 3-4 OLB & many here will react just like we did when Eric Swann was drafted. I think Houston's stock will rise after the combine & if we get him our 3-4 D will finally have some bite to it.

You and me both brother but Mel Keiper had him going in the 20's the last time I checked, so he didn't make the list.

Buckybird

Reaction score
You and me both brother but Mel Keiper had him going in the 20's the last time I checked, so he didn't make the list.

All that matters is hitting on the prospect to me & where he is drafted as a player doesnt matter when he produces big time. Some people like vanilla, I like chocolate :D

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Quinn is not considered an OLB. He is projected to be a DE in a 4 - 3 defense.

However I think we will all have a better feel for him after the Combine. We will know his real height, weight, speed and skill set. The Combine is critical for him having missed the entire 2010 season.

He's projected by almost everyone to be able to fit in both, but most project him to be a 3-4 OLB from everything I've seen.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score

I like Houston and wouldn't be upset with this pick. I don't think he's a very complete player at the moment and think he'll struggle in coverage. He also has a real tendency to run himself out of running plays. It's all coachable though.

OP
OP
A

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
I like Houston and wouldn't be upset with this pick. I don't think he's a very complete player at the moment and think he'll struggle in coverage. He also has a real tendency to run himself out of running plays. It's all coachable though.

Miller has the tendency to run himself out of every play so I'm not seeing how that's a problem:D

Buckybird

Reaction score

I dont think anyone would be coveting the guy for his coverage ability. We need him to set the edge, rush & sack the QB...thats the 3-4!!!

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Miller has the tendency to run himself out of every play so I'm not seeing how that's a problem:D

Difference between Houston and Miller, is Houston actually has the strength to disengage from blocks and tackle the bigger ball carriers in the NFL. Houston has a very powerful set of legs on him. Running yourself out of the play can be coached. Adding muscle to Von Millers frame is going to take much longer than teaching proper angles.

OP
OP
A

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
Difference between Houston and Miller, is Houston actually has the strength to disengage from blocks and tackle the bigger ball carriers in the NFL. Houston has a very powerful set of legs on him. Running yourself out of the play can be coached. Adding muscle to Von Millers frame is going to take much longer than teaching proper angles.

Which is why I am the conductor of the trade back for Justin Houston bandwagon.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
I dont think anyone would be coveting the guy for his coverage ability. We need him to set the edge, rush & sack the QB...thats the 3-4!!!

Lebeau's defense requires the LBs to be able to rush and drop in coverage. I think Houston can be coached to do so, especially considering he probably won't be starting his first year. I doubt any rookie LB we draft will start right off. That's why I think it's important to revamp our LBs now, so they'll be ready to go next year.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Which is why I am the conductor of the trade back for Justin Houston bandwagon.

I wouldn't be upset taking Houston at 5 if we can't trade back. I am not on the Miller bandwagon at all for the kind of defense Horton will try to install here.

OP
OP
A

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
I wouldn't be upset taking Houston at 5 if we can't trade back. I am not on the Miller bandwagon at all for the kind of defense Horton will try to install here.

Agreed, you couldn't pay me to take Miller at #5

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Quinn or trade down and take Houston. Or just take Houston if Quinn is gone (or looks terrible at the combine).

Both are better fits over Von Miller for the defensive scheme we will be running.

My third choice is not a popular one on this board, and I may be totally wrong on the guy....Ryan Mallett. He has an elite arm and moves better than most believe. If we had a good offensive line I'd be all over Ryan Mallett, but I think he may struggle early in his career playing behind such a bad offensive line.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Agreed, you couldn't pay me to take Miller at #5

And yet if he's there at #5 I think the Cards jump all over him (just like they did last years with Dwash) because of of his pass rush skills, not the total package of playing OLB in the 3-4 . And when it happens this D will get torched for big yards in the run game nearly every week IMO.

OP
OP
A

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
And yet if he's there at #5 I think the Cards jump all over him (just like they did last years with Dwash) because of of his pass rush skills, not the total package of playing OLB in the 3-4 . And when it happens this D will get torched for big yards in the run game nearly every week IMO.

the pulling guard is one of the weaknesses of the 3-4 and I think how bad the Packers get gashed with Clay Matthews at OLB, and the thought of how bad Von Miller will be gives me nightmares.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score

I'm seriously hoping Ray Horton has a lot of input as to what type of players he needs for this defense so we can avoid situations like this.

OP
OP
A

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
Honestly, I almost didn't put Quinn in the poll, and now he's leading it. I really misjudged the majority opinion of the board.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Assuming that Fairley, Bowers, Green and (Let's make it Darcell Dareus for ****s and giggles) are off the board.

We do this on a Packers forum I'm a part of. You lay out all the possible options, and the board casts their votes for a few days and at the end of the voting period you delete the prospect with the fewest votes, and you do it again until there's only one choice left.

*I'm assuming that the CBA isn't done so tradeback isn't an option.
Choices are:

Patrick Peterson-CB-LSU

Cam Newton-QB-Auburn

Von Miller-OLB-Texas A&M

Blaine Gabbert-QB-Missouri

Robert Quinn-OLB-UNC

Ryan Mallet-QB-Arkansas

The Arizona Cardinals are on the clock!!

Just to be clear, even if the CBA isn't done we could still trade back for draft picks. No team can trade players but draft picks are allowed.

I picked Newton with the understanding that it is premature to hitch my wagon to this horse until after the combine and pro day work out.

If Whiz doesn't like Newton or Gabbert then I'd prefer we trade back getting a majority of the compensation in next years draft. No CBA by the draft means the 2011 season for the Cards will be a wash. Well actually a building year as we will have the D learning a new scheme and will probably be starting Skelton since a vet FA may not happen.

This years draft picks will have a higher then normal value if FA potentially won't happen. Most teams will look to filling needs in the draft so they will want their draft picks. Some teams will be looking for a couple of key players and will not mind giving up picks to get them while other teams have a bunch of needs and will want to draft as many players as possible.

I can easily see teams justifying giving up extra picks next year since by then there will be a FA period and it could be a bonanza, especially if there is no FA this offseason. That would be 3 + years of Free Agents available in the 2012 offseason. Who needs a stinking draft pick in 2012 when there will be so much FA talent available?

If the Cards don't like any QB from this draft then use the xtra picks we acquire for 2012 to get Luck. :)

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Since you are one of our draft guru's I have a question. Is there any solid talent at the LBer positions that can be had in rounds 3 thru 6? Since it takes at least a year (usually 2) for a drafted player to get significant playing time for the Steelers D and they do have a history of finding LBer talent in the later rounds do we really NEED to draft a LBer in rd1? Now if Whiz doesn't like the QB's in this draft and Peterson is gone and a LBer would be the BPA then I'm on board with spending a 1st rd pick on a LB.

To reply to another post of yours I would be shocked if Horton doesn't have major input on which D players we draft.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Voted Peterson, one of the most talented players to come out in recent memory at one of the toughest positions to find a solid player at.