Ex-NHL player Adam Johnson, 29, dies after 'freak accident' on ice

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's awful. This is always a risk. They should develop some sort of light neck safety equipment.

OP
OP
Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
That's awful. This is always a risk. They should develop some sort of light neck safety equipment.
It exists, it’s just not mandatory to wear. I suspect some leagues will now look to change that though.

OP
OP
Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I’ve played hockey and I gotta say that it looks intentional in terms of slowing him down, not trying to kill him though.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’ve played hockey and I gotta say that it looks intentional in terms of slowing him down, not trying to kill him though.

Well, I went to University on a full hockey scholarship and played two seasons in Switzerland, and I don't see the intent.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I don't want to watch the video, but skates are obviously a very dangerous part of hockey and this has been a safety topic before this particular injury occurred. I can't imagine there was intent to hurt a player with a skate. and Avery was one that spoke about this injury as far as intent goes. He is not one I would ever listen to about anything. One of my favorite players, Tyler Seguin, took a nasty skate laceration to his achilles in 2016. it ended his year and I think it ended stars' chances of winning a Stanley cup that year because back then he was an elite scorer. Ironically Tyler also got cut again by a skate last year. I would have always thought the puck or violent hits to the head were more dangerous (and maybe they are) but the skate injuries are really bad.