Everything RV

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Has anyone ever rented an RV? I am thinking about doing that his fall. We've talked about buying one in a few years and figured renting one and figuring out whether we really like it ahead of time makes sense. My wife refuses to go camping like I would like to go (long hikes in to primitive camp sites, no amenities) so this is the closest I can get to getting out in nature with her. I have so many parks I want to visit.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Has anyone ever rented an RV? I am thinking about doing that his fall. We've talked about buying one in a few years and figured renting one and figuring out whether we really like it ahead of time makes sense. My wife refuses to go camping like I would like to go (long hikes in to primitive camp sites, no amenities) so this is the closest I can get to getting out in nature with her. I have so many parks I want to visit.
I haven't rented one, but I own one. Worked my way up from pop-up camper to travel trailer to rv.

I absolutely love it, just make sure you're patient and willing to troubleshoot things that go wrong.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I haven't rented one, but I own one. Worked my way up from pop-up camper to travel trailer to rv.

I absolutely love it, just make sure you're patient and willing to troubleshoot things that go wrong.

What class do you have? We are looking at Class C or smaller Class A. We've gone to RV shows the past couple of years and have a good idea in our heads of what we want but are waiting a few more years before buying.

Did you buy new or used? I've seen compelling arguments for both.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
What class do you have? We are looking at Class C or smaller Class A. We've gone to RV shows the past couple of years and have a good idea in our heads of what we want but are waiting a few more years before buying.

Did you buy new or used? I've seen compelling arguments for both.
We started our search looking for a Class C, but I talked my wife into a Class A. I love the view and the big window of a Class A. Also, I think there tends to be more storage in a Class A. One benefit of a Class C is the extra bed over the driver, but newer Class A's have a drop down bed which is actually really handy when you're parked.

We bought a used 35 footer with only 5k miles. Saved us like $20k compared to buying new. Still got all the warranties, which is a must with these beasts.

RV shows are great for getting ideas. We spent a couple years looking around before upgrading. We'll probably stick with this one until we retire and then upgrade to one of those big monsters and do some serious cruising.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We started our search looking for a Class C, but I talked my wife into a Class A. I love the view and the big window of a Class A. Also, I think there tends to be more storage in a Class A. One benefit of a Class C is the extra bed over the driver, but newer Class A's have a drop down bed which is actually really handy when you're parked.

We bought a used 35 footer with only 5k miles. Saved us like $20k compared to buying new. Still got all the warranties, which is a must with these beasts.

RV shows are great for getting ideas. We spent a couple years looking around before upgrading. We'll probably stick with this one until we retire and then upgrade to one of those big monsters and do some serious cruising.

One reason we didn't really look much in to Class A's is because it is just my wife and I (and dogs) and didn't need the extra sleeping space but I did like the smaller Class A's we saw because they just seem easier to move around in. I am sure I will change my mind several times between different models between now and when we buy. Our first rental will probably be a mid-sized Class C and a trip to a state park just a few hours away.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Would you all be interested in a separate RV Thread?

Sure. I did search and saw I had started one in 2016 and another on RV rentals started by someone else even further back but just figured I'd throw it in here.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yay! Thanks JF-08!

We have been thinking about RVs as well - first as a rental

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Yay! Thanks JF-08!

We have been thinking about RVs as well - first as a rental
Nice! That’s a good way to start, to see what you’re getting into.

I just picked up my rv this evening. Getting ready for a quick weekend trip to Prescott.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Nice!

I take it you store it off-site somewhere
Yup. Have to store it unfortunately. I bought my house in 2003. Had I known I’d own an rv I might have bought a house where I could store it on site.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I honestly love going to RV shows, we have one annually here in the Chicago area every February that is decent size but I'd really like to get to the huge one that takes place in the Tampa area. I love being able to see all the styles and layouts to get an idea what would fit the lifestyle my wife and I have in mind.

My wife and I will both be retired by the end of the decade and intend to be snowbirds (MN May-Sept, somewhere on the Gulf Coast rest of the year)--it will be nice to do that road trip in style and to take time every year to visit different state and national parks. It will just be the 2 of us and our dogs so it doesn't have to be too large.

I haven't set foot on a dealer lot yet because I am still a few years away ('26 or '27) from purchasing but we do have a couple of large dealers not far. Until then I think we will rent once a year or so--test trips I guess, visiting neighboring states, just to be sure that is something we really want before the ultimate purchase.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I honestly love going to RV shows, we have one annually here in the Chicago area every February that is decent size but I'd really like to get to the huge one that takes place in the Tampa area. I love being able to see all the styles and layouts to get an idea what would fit the lifestyle my wife and I have in mind.

My wife and I will both be retired by the end of the decade and intend to be snowbirds (MN May-Sept, somewhere on the Gulf Coast rest of the year)--it will be nice to do that road trip in style and to take time every year to visit different state and national parks. It will just be the 2 of us and our dogs so it doesn't have to be too large.

I haven't set foot on a dealer lot yet because I am still a few years away ('26 or '27) from purchasing but we do have a couple of large dealers not far. Until then I think we will rent once a year or so--test trips I guess, visiting neighboring states, just to be sure that is something we really want before the ultimate purchase.

Yeah RV shows are addictive. We went to many at Cardinals stadium before buying. Got a feel for what we really wanted and what we would be flexible on. Sometimes you don't know until you actually get on the road. For example, one necessity was a larger fridge. It was a struggle with our standard fridge in our old travel trailer, especially when we'd go on a 4 or 5 day trip to California.

Sounds like we have similar plans, although I'm probably 5 or so years behind you. I'd like to spend summers in Montana and the Pacific Northwest and also travel the country. There's so much to see and I haven't really been on the east coast.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Yeah RV shows are addictive. We went to many at Cardinals stadium before buying. Got a feel for what we really wanted and what we would be flexible on. Sometimes you don't know until you actually get on the road. For example, one necessity was a larger fridge. It was a struggle with our standard fridge in our old travel trailer, especially when we'd go on a 4 or 5 day trip to California.

Sounds like we have similar plans, although I'm probably 5 or so years behind you. I'd like to spend summers in Montana and the Pacific Northwest and also travel the country. There's so much to see and I haven't really been on the east coast.

I have seen some RVs in the size we are looking at that have a smaller stackable washer/dryer in them, that isn't necessarily a need but a "nice to have" option as I am no fan of laundromats. I didn't even think of the fridge, that is something we are going to have to consider as well.

I am undecided on slide outs, I don't think it is necessary for us but admittedly they add a nice bit of space when deployed.

Do you have solar installed on your RV? If so, was it a worthwhile investment?

Do you belong to a club like Good Sam's? It seems like a good idea from what I've read.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My RV experience is pretty much limited to the RV my parents had. They bought it after retirement - 28' (I think) Class C. I'd end up driving it on family vacations - or at least spelling Dad from driving. Got pretty good at getting in and out of tight spots, especially when my Mom was undergoing Hep C treatment which drained her - had to make sure she didn't have to walk much.

That size seemed plenty big for the two of them, and room enough for me when I was along. Dad built some custom inserts for the cabinets to make storage more efficient.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I have seen some RVs in the size we are looking at that have a smaller stackable washer/dryer in them, that isn't necessarily a need but a "nice to have" option as I am no fan of laundromats. I didn't even think of the fridge, that is something we are going to have to consider as well.

I am undecided on slide outs, I don't think it is necessary for us but admittedly they add a nice bit of space when deployed.

Do you have solar installed on your RV? If so, was it a worthwhile investment?

Do you belong to a club like Good Sam's? It seems like a good idea from what I've read.

We haven't needed a washer/dryer; our longest trip is 4-5 days. One thing to keep in mind is if you're staying long term at KOA or something like that they should have nice facilities.

We have a slide out that is almost the entire length of the rig. We typically have a 3-5 people plus 2 large dogs, so it makes a huuuge difference.

No solar. I haven't really looked into it. We have a generator, so we just fire that up if we need ac power or if we want to charge the batteries.

Good Sams is a must. Just do some research on what is covered by your insurance company so you're not double paying for something. It was a life saver twice with our travel trailer. Once when our excursion blew something in it's engine in California. They towed us to a repair shop. And I had a tire blow out going down one of the massive hills to Flag. They paid for someone to come and change it. You also get discounts everywhere you go, which basically pays for the membership.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Here are a few of the Class A models I like...

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/ace/floor-plans/272/

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/axis/floor-plans/277

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/vegas/floor-plans/277

https://coachmenrv.com/class-a-motorhomes/pursuit/27XPS/4717

I also like this floorplan on paper but I've never seen one in person.

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/outlaw-class-c/floor-plans/29S

Would be perfect for a couple of scooters.

I have a bunch of other Class C's I like too. I have a lot of time to decide though and the wife will have some say as well.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
You should be able to put a couple of scooters on the back if you want. I bought a hitch for my motorcycle for ~$200; I don't see any reason you couldn't haul two of them.

The first one is very similar to ours, except the closet is across from the bed and the bathroom is closer to the door, which is nice because it's easy to use the bathroom when the slide is in and we're cruising down the road. We also have some bunk beds between the bed and the kitchen that are great for storage when nobody is using them.

The outside tv is awesome too. We always seem to be on vacation during the NBA finals, so we end up watching them at the rv.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So that one you liked has a ramp/storage for bikes/scooters/etc? Wow!

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
So that one you liked has a ramp/storage for bikes/scooters/etc? Wow!

Yeah, its the only Class C "Toy Hauler" I have seen but I really want to see one in person. There are plenty of travel trailers and some Class A's with that feature though.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
My wife and I are heading down that road. We have started looking at the showed when we have time to see that the options are. Right now we are thinking a 5th wheel is the way to go. We like the idea of leaving the 5th wheel to run errands or just go to the movies in a truck. But this is all a few years down the road.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I have owned travel trailers, 5th wheel toyhaulers, class A motorhomes and class C motorhomes. Never again. The maintenance costs is unbelievable, even if you can do most of it yourself. The older ones are made fairly well but the newer ones are made like crap. Then add on financing, storage, and constant repairs including routine maintenance like tires and batteries and it will cost me a fortune to own one. Every time I used it something broke down. Now I rent one 3-4 times a year, return it and they clean it dump it and I am done with with it. No insurance, storage, repairs, license, emissions, NOTHING. Someone once told me if it flies, floats or Fu@ks, it is better to not own it but to rent it. Sound advice. 69 and still learning.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
My wife and I are heading down that road. We have started looking at the showed when we have time to see that the options are. Right now we are thinking a 5th wheel is the way to go. We like the idea of leaving the 5th wheel to run errands or just go to the movies in a truck. But this is all a few years down the road.

Yeah, having the truck is nice when you need to run somewhere. Our excursion was getting a little old (18 years), so I got to the point where I didn't trust it on long trips.

I was tired of all the hookups on the travel trailer, but I'm sure a 5th wheel is much easier.

My daughter will turn 16 in a few years, so she'll be needing a car anyway. I figured I'll just buy a small tow car that she can also use. In the meantime we just rent a car when we're out of state. It's actually pretty cheap and they pick you up and drop you off.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Yeah, having the truck is nice when you need to run somewhere. Our excursion was getting a little old (18 years), so I got to the point where I didn't trust it on long trips.

I was tired of all the hookups on the travel trailer, but I'm sure a 5th wheel is much easier.

My daughter will turn 16 in a few years, so she'll be needing a car anyway. I figured I'll just buy a small tow car that she can also use. In the meantime we just rent a car when we're out of state. It's actually pretty cheap and they pick you up and drop you off.
I was thinking more of being in the forest and wanting to run into town.