Everything RV

Discussion in 'Great Outdoors' started by Zeno, Aug 11, 2020.

1. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

based on those tank sizes and MPG, 250 miles per electric charge is definitely a steal. I cannot imagine why solar could not trickle charge as I plan on doing that to a deep cycle battery in the back of my overland truck anyway to power miscellaneous things. Trickle charging is sooooo slow though that posting up for 30 minutes at a super charger may be the best route to go regardless.

Interesting thought either way! getting rid of the combustion engine, transmission and etc would save you a lot of maintenance costs too! There is already a network of charges all around the interstate highways.

2. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Registered

I am still putting together my trip journal.....I got notes and what not but I am getting it organized. When I am done I will throw it your way.

To answer your question and throw out some tips:

1. Best sight seeing place was Crater Lake, OR. It really was not close either, that place is amazing. 2nd Place: Badlands, SD 3rd Place: Redwoods in Humbolt, CA

2. The best state I visited? Michigan. Loved the Upper Peninsula and Mackinaw City.

3. Download the app: RoadTrippers Great app.

4. Learn about all the cool places you can camp out at. RV parks are OK, kinda expensive and packed in. A lot of state parks have RV sites that are less expensive, more spread out, and have all the amenities you want. North Dakota had places where I very well could have been the only human for miles when I camped out there. There are also free camping sites, and BLM land that you can camp at.

5. Rent before you buy. Make sure you like it.

So, I was out there for two months, but I was all alone, which was as great as it sounds. I was able to cover a lot of area, and not have to discuss plans and what not. I just went!

You could take Route 66 trips, check out the Ozarks, Missouri was a very cool state......I could go on. I hope it works out for you and you get to go explore, it is fun!

Dback Jon and Zeno like this.
  3. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

Crater Lake was one of our favorite vacations ever. It was so beautiful.

RugbyMuffin likes this.
  4. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Registered

I got there in the morning and it was snow covered and cloudy. Then the sun rose and the clouds blew away, and .......

20201011_084534.jpg

thirty-two and BigRedRage like this.
  5. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

Good stuff. We will probably rent this year since it appears our planned vacation isn't going to happen. We have started looking at possible retirement locations--we went to Galveston TX last year, probably head to Gulf Shores/Dauphin Island Alabama this year, will rent an RV to get there.

RugbyMuffin likes this.
  6. dreamcastrocks

Yep, we went in March and there was snow on the ground too. It was majestic.

RugbyMuffin likes this.
  7. dreamcastrocks

Are you considering those places due to family or cost of living or something? Those don't seem to be ideal retirement locations to me...

RugbyMuffin likes this.
  8. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

Weather, cost of living and taxes for the most part.

Alabama does not tax pensions or social security--they have among the lowest property taxes in the country and when you turn 65 you no longer have to pay state property taxes.

Texas doesn't have a state income tax so no tax on pension, SS or 401k's--property taxes are high though but it freezes when you are 62 (no more tax hikes from then on).

Florida and Mississippi are the other 2 states I am considering--all places on the Gulf Coast...both are tax friendly for retirees as well.

dreamcastrocks likes this.