ESPN's take on the NFC West

Redleg

Reaction score
So, in an effort to pad my post count:

ESPN just ran down the NFC west and the things I took away from it wee:

1. Most important offensive player in the devision: D. Anderson. Obviously if he works out we win, if not.....

2. Most under rated team: Cadinals. Are we who we thought we were? I think so.

3. Breakout player: Calais Campbell.

It seems to me that attitudes are shifting ever so slightly as the fall out from Matt's departure clears up.

We shall see.

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trey Wingo is a tool. At least he didn't do his usual total dis of the Cards. Fair enough assessment by Mort and Schefter. As long as Alex Smith still sucks, they both think we have a fair shot to repeat

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
What I don't get is that we lose our Qb and we somehow lose the division. Alex smith is not better then DA IMO. We have a better defense, and offense. It is questionable for our Qb. But Anderson never had recievers like Arizona has. I just can't wait until this season starts. I'm not being a homer when I say this but I see us finishing 10-6 or 11-5.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still dont get the "breakout" player tag for CC.

The guy was awesome last year and if he just equals what he did then he is a PB caliber player. Last year was his breakout season IMO.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What I don't get is that we lose our Qb and we somehow lose the division. Alex smith is not better then DA IMO. We have a better defense, and offense. It is questionable for our Qb. But Anderson never had recievers like Arizona has. I just can't wait until this season starts. I'm not being a homer when I say this but I see us finishing 10-6 or 11-5.

The evidence from the last three seasons doesn't suggest that Alex Smith is worse than Derek Anderson. Derek Anderson was the worst starting quarterback in the NFL last year. Blah blah blah his teammates were bad, etc. No one was worse than him in 2009. Trent Edwards thought that Derek Anderson sucked. Matt Stafford thought that Derek Anderson was an embarrassment.

Maybe that changes here, but you're only as good as your last game. In Derek Anderson's last game he put up a 49.8 quarterback rating. In Alex Smith's last game he put up a 97.6 QB rating.

I still dont get the "breakout" player tag for CC.

The guy was awesome last year and if he just equals what he did then he is a PB caliber player. Last year was his breakout season IMO.

If Campbell had cashed in on half of the sack opportunities he had, he would have been a breakout player last year. But you're not going to get a lot of national attention as a DE when you post 7 sacks.

Unfortunately, because Campbell is a 3-4 DE, he'll have a hard time making the Pro Bowl. To get in the Pro Bowl conversation, Campbell would have to have 10+ sacks this year. That's going to be hard to do unless our cornerbacks are able to lock down the bubble screens and quick slants that tortured us last season.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I can see why cutting Leinart might have slightly changed attitudes. There is no more QB controversy, and it implies confidence that we can win with Anderson. If Leinart had started he would have continued to be the QB who barely beat out Anderson, whereas Anderson won't be viewed as the QB who barely beat our Leinart.

Unless he stinks up the joint, but then they'll just say he is who we thought he was.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Campbell had cashed in on half of the sack opportunities he had, he would have been a breakout player last year. But you're not going to get a lot of national attention as a DE when you post 7 sacks.

Unfortunately, because Campbell is a 3-4 DE, he'll have a hard time making the Pro Bowl. To get in the Pro Bowl conversation, Campbell would have to have 10+ sacks this year. That's going to be hard to do unless our cornerbacks are able to lock down the bubble screens and quick slants that tortured us last season.

Agree that he could have easily had 10 sacks. But to expect him to get actually better than last year is very high expectation. 7 sacks from a 3-4 DE is still VERY good. Still kills me that DD qualifies as a DT when he isnt a DT anymore.

IMO his season last year was his breakout year.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Derek Anderson was the worst starting quarterback in the NFL last year.

I don't think a lot of people realize just how bad he was last year, 2008 was only marginally better which isn't saying much. Maybe this will help - which is DA and which one is Jamarcus Russell from the last two years combined.

3710 Yards, 52%, 6.1 average, 16 TD's, 19 INT's, 63.6 Rating.
2503 Yards, 48%, 5.4 average, 12 TD's, 18 INT's, 54.3 Rating.

May be hard to stomach but over the last two years with similarly crappy teams Jamarcus Russell outplayed DA.:shock:

Does that mean he cant regain even average status, nope because his mental makeup is different from Russell so of course he can, but I don't go to sleep at night with the warm and fuzzy feelings either.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Agree that he could have easily had 10 sacks. But to expect him to get actually better than last year is very high expectation. 7 sacks from a 3-4 DE is still VERY good. Still kills me that DD qualifies as a DT when he isnt a DT anymore.

IMO his season last year was his breakout year.

Keep in mind also that this is a national television program. He broke out to us in his first season as a starter. I think we're all expecting him to get better this year. If he gets better, than he'll truly "break out" onto the national stage.

It's kind of like Haloti Ngata. 90% of football fans might know that he plays for the Ravens. But people who follow football (and I think it's Rugby who watches Ravens games) know that he's maybe the best 3-4 DE in the NFL. Easily in the top 5 and IMO better than CC (from what we've seen so far).

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Keep in mind also that this is a national television program. He broke out to us in his first season as a starter. I think we're all expecting him to get better this year. If he gets better, than he'll truly "break out" onto the national stage.

It's kind of like Haloti Ngata. 90% of football fans might know that he plays for the Ravens. But people who follow football (and I think it's Rugby who watches Ravens games) know that he's maybe the best 3-4 DE in the NFL. Easily in the top 5 and IMO better than CC (from what we've seen so far).

Obviously one of those guys where you have to see him play rather than just look at the stat line because CC's stats last year were better than Ngata's 2008 stats (to compare 16 games with 16 games). Amazing that both players are credited with 5 pdf's. Not bad for 3-4 DEs.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Obviously one of those guys where you have to see him play rather than just look at the stat line because CC's stats last year were better than Ngata's 2008 stats (to compare 16 games with 16 games). Amazing that both players are credited with 5 pdf's. Not bad for 3-4 DEs.

It's just different with 3-4 defensive linemen. With NTs it really sticks out, but it's similar with DEs. Trevor Price was a very good 3-4 DE once he'd stopped being effective as a 3-technique DT and went to the Ravens.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trey Wingo is a tool. At least he didn't do his usual total dis of the Cards. Fair enough assessment by Mort and Schefter. As long as Alex Smith still sucks, they both think we have a fair shot to repeat

Actually, he did. Or at least it certainly felt like his usual cheap shot to me. He did that condescending laugh of his and said:

"The Cards are trying to do what they never did in Chicago, in St Louis, or when they were the Phoenix Cardinals and now the Arizona Cardinals. Win the division 3 straight years or even make the playoffs 3 straight years. [big grin, waves hand emphatically and finishes up with] This is the best it's ever been for the Cardinal franchise the last couple years."

Trust me, the way it was said, that was a put down. It was the truth but acting like it's the funniest thing you've ever heard was unnecessary but typical from that jerk.

Steve

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually, he did. Or at least it certainly felt like his usual cheap shot to me. He did that condescending laugh of his and said:

"The Cards are trying to do what they never did in Chicago, in St Louis, or when they were the Phoenix Cardinals and now the Arizona Cardinals. Win the division 3 straight years or even make the playoffs 3 straight years. [big grin, waves hand emphatically and finishes up with] This is the best it's ever been for the Cardinal franchise the last couple years."

Trust me, the way it was said, that was a put down. It was the truth but acting like it's the funniest thing you've ever heard was unnecessary but typical from that jerk.

Steve

He is from St Louis and is a hater. He was a St Louis sportscaster and I thought he was a dork then. Part of the anti Bidwill group.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is from St Louis and is a hater. He was a St Louis sportscaster and I thought he was a dork then. Part of the anti Bidwill group.

Let's face it, we're used to the abuse we get nationally and to a considerable degree, it's understandable. But for several years now it's been apparent that this franchise is trying to do the right things and we still get it tossed back in our faces.

No one is more consistent about mocking the Cardinals than Trey Wingo. Perhaps you're right and it's nothing more than the St Louis connection but I get the feeling he was picked on as a kid and striking out at an easy target is his way of making himself feel bigger. Regardless, he continues to earn his "jerk" title.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's face it, we're used to the abuse we get nationally and to a considerable degree, it's understandable. But for several years now it's been apparent that this franchise is trying to do the right things and we still get it tossed back in our faces.

No one is more consistent about mocking the Cardinals than Trey Wingo. Perhaps you're right and it's nothing more than the St Louis connection but I get the feeling he was picked on as a kid and striking out at an easy target is his way of making himself feel bigger. Regardless, he continues to earn his "jerk" title.

Steve

I've NEVER been one to think ANYONE in the media holds a grudge against the Cardinals... except Douche Wingo. I wanted to kill him during our run to the Super Bowl and that feeling has never abated.

He's a legitimate Hater.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson