ESPN: Trent Williams trade discussion

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
He would be an upgrade, but does he really want to play. It didn't seem like that with the Redskins.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He would be an upgrade, but does he really want to play. It didn't seem like that with the Redskins.

I do not believe people are educated on the situation.

Redskins knew Williams had a tumor for several years but did not inform him. Until he had an health issue, saw a third party doctor who informed him you have a tumor that needs removed.

I would never play a single down for a team that puts my health in jeopardy. Dont blame him one bit.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Give Kyler Murray a competent line and the best receiver in the draft and this team will be hard to stop. As KC proved this year, offense wins championships. The Redskins are a disaster. I am amazed that the league hasn’t stepped in

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd say he's far more likely to stay with the Skins now they changed GM and staff.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cards need to sign an OT. Whether it’s humphries, Bulaga, Conklin or whoever.

I just hate the thought of drafting a rookie expecting him to start.

Why?

Nobody had an issue with Kyler being drafted to start. Literally the most important player on the team.

Nearly all the 1st and 2nd round tackles started last year.

Nobody had issues with Bosa, Allen, Williams, White, Oliver, Bush etc starting for thier respective teams last year.

Nobody has any issues with Lamb starting if we draft him and WR is one of the toughest positions to translate.

Why the extra hand wringing for tackles? Yeah it's tough, but they are all tough. You pick right and a top 10 tackle can shine like a bunch of rookies did last year.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why?

Nobody had an issue with Kyler being drafted to start. Literally the most important player on the team.

Nearly all the 1st and 2nd round tackles started last year.

Nobody had issues with Bosa, Allen, Williams, White, Oliver, Bush etc starting for thier respective teams last year.

Nobody has any issues with Lamb starting if we draft him and WR is one of the toughest positions to translate.

Why the extra hand wringing for tackles? Yeah it's tough, but they are all tough. You pick right and a top 10 tackle can shine like a bunch of rookies did last year.

Why you ask. Because everyone you mention in your post would be legit #8 picks in any draft. IMO, I don't think any of the OLinemen in this draft are legit enough to pick at 8. Trade down into the teens if you want to take any of these OLinemen.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Why you ask. Because everyone you mention in your post would be legit #8 picks in any draft. IMO, I don't think any of the OLinemen in this draft are legit enough to pick at 8. Trade down into the teens if you want to take any of these OLinemen.

There are a number of solid RTs in this draft, but none I would trust at LT immediately.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Literally everyone in the business is saying what a super talented and deep OT class this is. I've seen various experts say they think even guys like Jones, Jackson and Niang can start immediately.

But a tackle at #8 can't?

There probably 8 to 10 tackles in this class could start right away. At least.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Literally everyone in the business is saying what a super talented and deep OT class this is. I've seen various experts say they think even guys like Jones, Jackson and Niang can start immediately.

In your fantasy world yes, but for real, there is no legit Top 10 LT in this draft.

RT/LG yes but LT? NO. So No you aren't more right then in the other 200 posts.

And like others mentioned, there are differences in the positions. QB is different from LT. A rookie QB needs playtime to get better, a rookie OT needs play time but there the similarity of the job description ends.

A Rookie QB makes you O-line and WR and so on look worse if he doesn't get it, but with that you can live.
A Rookie LT makes your QB getting hit and sacked and sometimes injured, you can't live with your highest asset injured.

So you basically try to make an argument telling everyone and yourself that you should let your doddler drive your lambo while you drive his bike on the highway.

Sorry to break it down to you that harsh, but really it is a bad idea to cut the veteran and have a rookie start at LT and it is even worse when there is no consensus top 5 LT or Top 10 LT. And you even don't have any Idea if you would get this non existent consensus top 5/10 LT.

That is how you end up with Levi Brown instead of Adrian Peterson and fall short of a SB or two.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In your fantasy world yes, but for real, there is no legit Top 10 LT in this draft.

RT/LG yes but LT? NO. So No you aren't more right then in the other 200 posts.

And like others mentioned, there are differences in the positions. QB is different from LT. A rookie QB needs playtime to get better, a rookie OT needs play time but there the similarity of the job description ends.

A Rookie QB makes you O-line and WR and so on look worse if he doesn't get it, but with that you can live.
A Rookie LT makes your QB getting hit and sacked and sometimes injured, you can't live with your highest asset injured.

So you basically try to make an argument telling everyone and yourself that you should let your doddler drive your lambo while you drive his bike on the highway.

Sorry to break it down to you that harsh, but really it is a bad idea to cut the veteran and have a rookie start at LT and it is even worse when there is no consensus top 5 LT or Top 10 LT. And you even don't have any Idea if you would get this non existent consensus top 5/10 LT.

That is how you end up with Levi Brown instead of Adrian Peterson and fall short of a SB or two.

That wasn't the question. The question was why all the hand wringing over starting a rookie tackle. I've seen it numerous times.

Ooo can't start a rookie, stick with the vet.

But the same people have no problem starting a WR. A position which has one of the highest top 10 bust rates. Or Simmons if we went that way. Or Kyler last year.

There's no logic in it.

A top 10 tackle should have no problem starting over any other rookie. Just because you consider none of them worthy of top 8 doesn't change whether they are or not. I'm not saying reach, but if the team thinks there is a LT worth #8 they should take him. .

I'd take Thomas over Hump all day, for example.

Are they likely to be All Pro year one? No.

Are they going to be much worse than what we had? Nope.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

I say don't buy into all the hype articles and highlight videos. Watch the games and make your own choice, these experts are wrong just as much as they are right. I for one am pretty sure with the changes in the College game that it takes much longer to acclimate to the NFL for o-lineman than it used too. Very few colleges run NFL type offenses any more.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Yeah, but these 'experts' are not calling the shots because there are other people better than them that have that job :)
I say don't buy into all the hype articles and highlight videos. Watch the games and make your own choice, these experts are wrong just as much as they are right. I for one am pretty sure with the changes in the College game that it takes much longer to acclimate to the NFL for o-lineman than it used too. Very few colleges run NFL type offenses any more.

Plus if they were 'experts' some NFL team would give them a proactive job :)

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

nobody on the planet is saying that. On the Kiper/ McShay podcast just this week they talked about how thin the class is

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
I do not believe people are educated on the situation.

Redskins knew Williams had a tumor for several years but did not inform him. Until he had an health issue, saw a third party doctor who informed him you have a tumor that needs removed.

I would never play a single down for a team that puts my health in jeopardy. Dont blame him one bit.

Kinda. He had a growth and he knew it and it bothered him where it rubbed inside his helmet. He saw team doctors about it more than once, and stupidly they never even had a biopsy done to see if it was benign or malignant. Instead they focused on how to get by with finding a way to make it so he was comfortable enough to play. The independent doctor DID do the biopsy right away and the test came back malignant and he had it removed. Amazing the team doctors were that negligent.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That wasn't the question. The question was why all the hand wringing over starting a rookie tackle. I've seen it numerous times.

Ooo can't start a rookie, stick with the vet.

But the same people have no problem starting a WR. A position which has one of the highest top 10 bust rates. Or Simmons if we went that way. Or Kyler last year.

There's no logic in it.

A top 10 tackle should have no problem starting over any other rookie. Just because you consider none of them worthy of top 8 doesn't change whether they are or not. I'm not saying reach, but if the team thinks there is a LT worth #8 they should take him. .

I'd take Thomas over Hump all day, for example.

Are they likely to be All Pro year one? No.

Are they going to be much worse than what we had? Nope.

Haha Thomas over Hump.

A guy that the best talent experts are saying might not be able to even play TACKLE.

We have shown that Hump allowed 2 sacks. You vaccilated and either said that isnt accurate or that isnt the only metric.

So then I further show how ridiculous your take on Humphries is by showing you that the Cardinals had the FOURTH HIGHEST RUSHING AVERAGE TO THE LEFT SIDE OF THEIR FORMATION.

No one is saying that a rookie tackle CANT start. You are creating this giant strawman argument, and its frankly stupid. What people are saying is that there is no better LT in the draft or free agency.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Well if you go by PFF rankings, Thomas is the top tackle and ranked #8 on their draft board which would put him right where the Cardinals would be drafting and they have Wills at #9 on their draft board. They claim both of them could step in and play LT. Walters has them ranked #1 and #2 and plug ins at LT. Drafttek has Thomas ranked #5 overall and Wills at #11. CBS has Wills and Thomas ranked #1 and #2 at tackle. One thing we need to remember is Wills played RT at Alabama however that may have been by design since Tagovailoa is left handed so his blind side would be protected by the RT. Overall everything I have read to date has both these guys rated as capable of playing LT from the get go. I really don't listen to the talking heads. They have a show and need ratings to keep their show on and themselves in front of the camera so stirring controversy about players is going to keep your ratings afloat.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Thomas is the best Tackle in the draft. Lowest ceiling of the top 3 but also the highest floor. Thomas - Wirfs - Wills

My personal pick would be Wirfs or Thomas if we go tackle but would prefer to stay out of it all together. Young, Okudah, Simmons, Kinlaw, Jeudy/Lamb - We will get one of them if we chill out.

The rest of the field is a crap shoot with Becton being the biggest hit or miss prospect on the board in the top 15.

And I don't know where people are getting the info that this is a deep lineman draft class.

I am loving Kinlaw the more I watch of him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well if you go by PFF rankings, Thomas is the top tackle and ranked #8 on their draft board which would put him right where the Cardinals would be drafting and they have Wills at #9 on their draft board. They claim both of them could step in and play LT. Walters has them ranked #1 and #2 and plug ins at LT. Drafttek has Thomas ranked #5 overall and Wills at #11. CBS has Wills and Thomas ranked #1 and #2 at tackle. One thing we need to remember is Wills played RT at Alabama however that may have been by design since Tagovailoa is left handed so his blind side would be protected by the RT. Overall everything I have read to date has both these guys rated as capable of playing LT from the get go. I really don't listen to the talking heads. They have a show and need ratings to keep their show on and themselves in front of the camera so stirring controversy about players is going to keep your ratings afloat.

All of those draft sites havent caught up yet. Jeremiah and Miller are much better, and they both have moved Thomas down to 4th tackle now, based on their NFL contacts. Watch the tape of all the guys. He is the least impressive.

Before I started looking into actually tape, I liked Thomas the best....because that's what the draft websites were saying. That's why 90% of anyone who wants him thinks that.

Just like last year...I started out NOT liking Murray, but then I actually watched a bunch of tape and came away very impressed. Watch all of the top tackles...Thomas is easily the least impressive.

What I do like about Thomas is that he is really good at climbing to the second level and blocking LBs and safeties in the box. What I dont like is that his feet arent very quick when he fans out to pass block and you see him reach out. Good NFL pass rushers will feast on his deficiencies. I think he probably is a much better fit at guard.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If only we ran a college style scheme with wider splits and air raid concepts...

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
There isn't a chance to trade DJ Johnson for him?
The Redskins have Guice already. He's hurt often, but I doubt the Skins are in the world of trying to get older RBs right now when they're functionally hitting the reset button on the franchise.