ESPN Controversy - Geno's Intangibles

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ESPN's Mike & Mike Show this morning brought to light a negative report on Geno Smith's work ethic, relationship with teammates etc. etc.

It was pretty damaging, and Golic cautioned that "if you're going to put this stuff out there for people to see, you'd better have talked to a lot of people to corroborate this - and you'd better be right."

Source of the report was Nolan Nawrocky of PFW). (Note - Golic's associate on the show stood up for the writer as a responsible guy who usually does his homework).

Todd McShay says that, contrary to what Nawrocky says, there are other reports that Smith works hard, is a good leader, has a passion for the game, etc. and that Nawrocky's language might be a bit negative and overblown.

Comments, therefore, appear to be mixed, but this story figures to have legs as we get closer to draft day.

Sometimes stories like this get amped up by teams hoping a guy will slide down to them. Welcome to the beginning of the pre-draft circus and enjoy the show.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
In most drafts, Geno would be a borderline first-rounder IMO. Hopefully someone in front of the Cardinals grabs him, leaving another position player for us to choose from.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
For whatever reason people are just that much harder on Geno Smith than about any other prospect in recent years.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Geno Smith is a top 20 player in the draft because he is a QB. That would probably hold true for most years. Maybe in a really solid year, he gets pushed down a bit because teams at the back of the draft rarely need a QB.

Overall, I would agree with most that Nawrocki was harsh with his eval. However, Nawrocki has to be a bit harsh in order to drive up his magazine sales with all the free online content there is now. Does it make it right? Probably not 100%. However, Nawrocki was criticized for his comments on Cam Newton which have been pretty accurate.

Here is what I KNOW about Geno Smith. I know he doesn't have an elite arm. I KNOW he threw a tantrum in the bowl game vs. Syracuse. I KNOW he was the QB of a team that lost 5 straight after they were ranked in the top 10. I KNOW he is a very good athlete. I KNOW he has great touch on his throws. I KNOW he ran an offense in college with very simple reads. I KNOW he struggled in a weak conference. I KNOW the team he played on had talent at the WR position. I KNOW that Andy Reid preferred to trade two draft picks for Alex Smith and pay him double the salary of the 1st round pick this year rather than draft Geno Smith #1.

All of these things that I KNOW make me hesitant in drafting him in the top 10.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For whatever reason people are just that much harder on Geno Smith than about any other prospect in recent years.

Well, the reality is that a lot of canned draft sites are pushing Geno Smith up the draft boards and so "draft insiders" are pushing back in order to be heard and proven correct.

Remember, for these draft guys, being right is the key. The more right you are, the better chance you get paid huge money by one of the major media outlets. Furthermore, being right when you go against the rest of the herd is even better. That is what is happening with Geno Smith.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Have you forgotten Cam Newton?

Steve

I was going to say the same thing. Cam also got blasted by this guy in his evaluation for his intangibles.

And Ryan Mallett wasn't exactly getting roses tossed at his feet leading up to the draft.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Geno Smith is a top 20 player in the draft because he is a QB. That would probably hold true for most years. Maybe in a really solid year, he gets pushed down a bit because teams at the back of the draft rarely need a QB.

Overall, I would agree with most that Nawrocki was harsh with his eval. However, Nawrocki has to be a bit harsh in order to drive up his magazine sales with all the free online content there is now. Does it make it right? Probably not 100%. However, Nawrocki was criticized for his comments on Cam Newton which have been pretty accurate.

Here is what I KNOW about Geno Smith. I know he doesn't have an elite arm. I KNOW he threw a tantrum in the bowl game vs. Syracuse. I KNOW he was the QB of a team that lost 5 straight after they were ranked in the top 10. I KNOW he is a very good athlete. I KNOW he has great touch on his throws. I KNOW he ran an offense in college with very simple reads. I KNOW he struggled in a weak conference. I KNOW the team he played on had talent at the WR position. I KNOW that Andy Reid preferred to trade two draft picks for Alex Smith and pay him double the salary of the 1st round pick this year rather than draft Geno Smith #1.

All of these things that I KNOW make me hesitant in drafting him in the top 10.

Amen