Ernie Sims another Pittman???

RedForeman

Registered
Reaction score
With all the "draft Ernie Sims" talk lately, I don't recall much debate/discussion about this cats character. A bunch of concern about his size and injury history, but he seems to have some character issues as well.

Conversely, Winton Justice has the character stigma due to his "toy" gun incident, but for some reason, Sims seems to have avoided the same type of scrutiny. Don't know why, seeing how he was arrested and suspended from the team for beating his girlfriend and resisting arrest in 2005.

Per ESPN.com - July 2005

"TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State junior linebacker Ernie Sims was arrested early Wednesday for allegedly throwing his girlfriend to the ground.

Sims, 20, was arrested by Tallahassee Police after the fight with his live-in girlfriend, Brooke McGriff, who refused to press charges. He was charged with domestic battery and resisting arrest without violence, both misdemeanors.

The 6-foot, 225-pound Sims was released from jail after a court appearance before Leon County Judge Donald S. Mondesitt.

"Our athletic department discipline policy for a misdemeanor goes into effect with Ernie and he will be subject to that until I have all the facts," coach Bobby Bowden said in a statement.

Bowden, in most cases, has discretion on misdemeanor cases where no jail time is involved under the school's code of conduct.

Witnesses told police that at one point Sims "slammed her on the ground" and straddled the 5-foot-2, 118-pound McGriff as she lay on the concrete in front of a residence hall near the Florida State campus.

As she tried to stand, the player repeatedly shoved her back onto the ground. Sims remained aggressive when officers arrived, the police report said.

Sims was "shirtless, drenched in sweat and very animated when I made contact with him," Tallahassee Police officer Danny Jeter wrote in the report. Sims later interfered with arresting officers when he and McGriff tried to walk away from police. He told police the argument was over a call he received Tuesday from another woman.

War Birds

Veteran
Reaction score
getting arrested for being physical with a woman...umm i'll pass. That makes me sick

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Forget personal pros and cons on this issue -

We can be pretty sure that Cardinal "character" policy under Graves and Coach Mac - particularly after Pittman - would probably mean they'd pass on a guy like Sims.

This begs the question - Will this policy change under Graves and Green? Or will it remain intact.

Interesting to see what happens on Draft Day.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I hadn't seen that one, another strike against Sims at #10 IMHO.

Justice's toy gun deal is being completely distorted, it was not a squirt gun it was a pellet gun and it was very realistic looking, it's a replica designed to look real. Here's a USA today story on it.

Trojans OT Justice gets probation in pellet gun incident
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A University of Southern California football player has pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor count of exhibition of a replica firearm and was sentenced to 60 days of electronic monitoring and three years' probation.
A plea deal was reached Monday before jury selection in the trial of Winston Justice, a sophomore and two-year starter on the offensive line for the Trojans.

"I'm happy it's over. ... Now it's time to move on," Justice said.

Justice and his team have been doing a wonderful spin job on this first claiming he pulled it on a guy he thought was a friend(initial reports said he pulled it on a guy during an argument at a parking structure over a parking space), and now claiming it was a squirt gun.

I wasn't there but for 2 years it's been a pellet gun and suddenly it's a squirt gun?

But I admit to a bias, he's been the poster boy for what's wrong with USC athletics for 2 years now if you read UCLA sports message boards, so my opinion of him is colored by what Bruin fans have been saying.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

We can be pretty sure that Cardinal "character" policy under Graves and Coach Mac - particularly after Pittman - would probably mean they'd pass on a guy like Sims.

This begs the question - Will this policy change under Graves and Green? Or will it remain intact.

That's a big red flag I wasn't aware of. This drops Sims from my consideration, and elevates Bunkley and Justice.

OP
OP
RedForeman

RedForeman

Registered
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

Even though I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing, I believe that the organization's character policy has already changed since Denny arrived. I seriously doubt that Dockett would be a Cardinal right now if things were being run the McGinnis/Graves way.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Dockett in the third round is a little different than this guy in the first, in the top 10. A lot different.

Witnesses told police that at one point Sims "slammed her on the ground" and straddled the 5-foot-2, 118-pound McGriff as she lay on the concrete in front of a residence hall near the Florida State campus.

As she tried to stand, the player repeatedly shoved her back onto the ground. Sims remained aggressive when officers arrived, the police report said.

Classy guy.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
And soliciting a prostitute is so much better. :rolleyes:

You guys are seriously reaching for something to validate passing up on Sims, KNOWING that despite what you think he's the logical pick at 10. Bah.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Shogun said:

Beating up a women isnt even in the same league. I dont know what to even tell someone who even thinks it is, cant fathom someone who would think that it is in the same league.

So bringing up a story about him beating up a women is reaching for something?

Now bringing up a story of stealing when he was 12 is reaching.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Shogun said:

You guys are seriously reaching for something to validate passing up on Sims, KNOWING that despite what you think he's the logical pick at 10. Bah.

Uh not so much better but solicitation and assault are 2 totally different animals.

Both are illegal but not even the same type of crime in the books.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
There is never any excuse for that kind of behaviour. Never.

I'm so far off this bandwagon it's not even funny.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Denny has been known to take a chance on players that have had so called character problems, bring them in, turn them into productive players and help them develop into better individuals. I'm certainly not approving on what Sims had done as it is wrong. However, I really believe that Denny can help develop him as a player and as a person.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
az jam said:
Denny has been known to take a chance on players that have had so called character problems, bring them in, turn them into productive players and help them develop into better individuals. I'm certainly not approving on what Sims had done as it is wrong. However, I really believe that Denny can help develop him as a player and as a person.

McGinnis was known to take a chance on players that had so called character, bring them in, turn them into non-productive players and help them develop into New Car Salesmen.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
az jam said:

Like who? Randy Moss ran over a meter maid and Demetrius Underwood tried to kill himself. Moss played great on Sundays, but he didn't do anything to turn him into a better person or teammate.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Like who? Randy Moss ran over a meter maid and Demetrius Underwood tried to kill himself. Moss played great on Sundays, but he didn't do anything to turn him into a better person or teammate.

Clueless as usual. I'm amazed as one with so little pro football knowledge continues to post on the board as if he has any idea on what he is talking about.

Note that in the past I said that I wouldn't respond to your comments as the board likes to have proper manners and not embarass anyone.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
az jam said:
Clueless as usual. I'm amazed as one with so little pro football knowledge continues to post on the board as if he has any idea on what he is talking about.

Did he say something that wasn't true? He cited 2 examples in support of his argument, I didn't see anyone cite any in opposition to that.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Sims is not going to be the pick. Don't get caught up in the smokescreen. LB's are usually the least likely to be a top 10 pick unless they are something very special. Derrick Johnson was more highly acclaimed and he dropped all the way to KC last year. Sims is talented but he has too may question marks to be a top 10 pick especially when there are more needy postions to be filled by just as highly rated prospects.