Eric Gordon signed

Dr dumas

Veteran
Reaction score
This is huge! I love all of the other signings this off-season, but this one is absolutely critical. While Gordon is not in his prime anymore, he is still a solid rotation player who can create his own shot, bring the ball up the floor, and run the offense. In my opinion, this is the most important free agent signing this off-season.
Agree! I’m hoping they use Eric as the 6-man role so they always have 2-3 legit scorers on the floor at all times.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
This is huge! I love all of the other signings this off-season, but this one is absolutely critical. While Gordon is not in his prime anymore, he is still a solid rotation player who can create his own shot, bring the ball up the floor, and run the offense. In my opinion, this is the most important free agent signing this off-season.
100% agreed. Gordon skews more offense than all the rest of the signings, and is a volume 3point shooter that defenses cannot ignore. He's not a great defender anymore, but isn't a liability in the same way Payne is.

A Booker, Beal, Gordon, KD, Ayton lineup will be the closing rotation I'd wager.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
100% agreed. Gordon skews more offense than all the rest of the signings, and is a volume 3point shooter that defenses cannot ignore. He's not a great defender anymore, but isn't a liability in the same way Payne is.

A Booker, Beal, Gordon, KD, Ayton lineup will be the closing rotation I'd wager.
Nah.... Ayton >>> Eubanks will need someone who can actually go get a board when needed

I truly believe if it can be done cap wise DA will be moved.... Don't need a slacker PO everyone else

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’ve always loved EG’s game. He might be washed but defenses have to account for him and he fights defensively. It’s a definite upgrade over Lee had he been the one getting minutes that Payne/Goodwin don’t. I like a playoff combo of Gordon’s shooting and Goodwin’s defense off the bench. Granted I don’t like Payne but I think Vogel & Young have a PG-less system that they think will be unstoppable offensively. The roster depth will also be key when we have guys go down.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He begged them not to match

I haaaaaaated that contract back in the day.

We were in a bad spot as a franchise and it felt like Houston's stupid deal with Fred VanVleet. You're so far away from any sort of contention that tossing a max contract at a guy who isn't even close to being an all-star is just nuts.

New Orleans matching was for the best. Not only was he perpetually injured during that contract but it is likely that we never draft Booker because Gordon was on the roster. And even if we did still draft Booker, the fan base would probably view Gordon acrimoniously for his endless unavailability and he wouldn't be rolling in here now for pennies.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Throw back to the last time we made a run at Gordon.

A very different time. Probably my low point as a Suns fan, that was a terrible summer of Suns moves. I seethed so much over the moves the Suns were making that I am sure a few posters put me on ignore. I'd like to think my tone when disagreeing has matured.

EDIT: Scrolling through this, I had some great lines, maybe maturing wasn't worth it.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I haaaaaaated that contract back in the day.

We were in a bad spot as a franchise and it felt like Houston's stupid deal with Fred VanVleet. You're so far away from any sort of contention that tossing a max contract at a guy who isn't even close to being an all-star is just nuts.

New Orleans matching was for the best. Not only was he perpetually injured during that contract but it is likely that we never draft Booker because Gordon was on the roster. And even if we did still draft Booker, the fan base would probably view Gordon acrimoniously for his endless unavailability and he wouldn't be rolling in here now for pennies.
I wasn’t a fan of it either. I just didn’t think he was good enough to warrant it. That said, he definitely wanted to come to Phoenix.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
From a CBS free agency article about the Clippers and Gordon:

Letting Eric Gordon go made sense financially. It saved them $110 million with luxury taxes included. But in pure basketball terms, it was a bad decision. Gordon can still play, and now he'll help the Suns try to beat them next season. The Clippers gained nothing but cash for that decision. It seems even Steve Ballmer is afraid of the new CBA.
BOOM!

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cornerstone is finally here. Maybe Sandstone at this point but stable just enough.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is a hot take, I think Eric Gordon gives you 85% of what James Harden gives you at this stage of his career. Basically he can do everything Harden can except he is not as good of a passer.

Harden is living off his reputation at this point but look how much he is still going to garner in a trade compared to the Suns being able to pick up Gordon for the minimum.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I think of Eric Gordon, I think of a clutch player and shooter. The Suns have needed one of these for years.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
More BOOOM.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Posting the first 25% of this paywalled article.
There was a relevant detail structured into Eric Gordon’s minimum contract with the Suns. It was two years with a player option for the second season. If Gordon plays well, he can decline it and enter the market again next summer. But it’s an extra layer of security and an added incentive that Phoenix is handing out to its minimum targets. Yuta Watanabe, Damion Lee, Keita Bates-Diop and Drew Eubanks also got it.
That isn’t a contract structure the Warriors have been willing to match. There are two drawbacks. You run the risk of committing a valuable roster spot into the following season when the context of the entire situation may have shifted. Not all minimums work out. Many are whiffs. A player option can be a handcuff.

But the financial component is the more immediate deterrent. A veteran minimum contract for a 16-year pro such as Gordon costs $3.2 million next season, but if it’s a one-year deal, the league subsidizes nearly half of it and only about $2.01 million counts against the cap. If it’s a multi-year deal, all $3.2 million counts against the cap. Multiply it by the repeater tax and you’re talking about somewhere around a $7 million added fee if the Warriors were to offer Gordon the same multi-year minimum contract that Phoenix did.

The Warriors wanted Gordon. He was their primary backcourt target in the early days of free agency. They believed he possessed the floor spacing, defensive chops, personality and playoff experience to fit into their vacant fourth guard spot. They were in the mix until the final moment. But Gordon declined, choosing the Suns and getting that extra second-year incentive on his way through the front door.

Phoenix has something else to offer its minimum targets this week that the Warriors don’t. There’s a clearer path to a larger role on the Suns. They entered free agency with a torn down roster around Kevin Durant, Devin Booker, Bradley Beal and Deandre Ayton. There’s a fifth starting spot up for grabs and loads of bench minutes available. Gordon will probably close playoff games for them.