Edge means more to this team than Q

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I see all these people going absolutely BATTY that we may be losing quan but CLEARLY edge was probably #3 (behind fitz n warner).

I have no fear that our air attack can go on w/o missing a beat minus Quan.

The running game without edge... yikes. Say what you want about edge but the dude was WAY more of a player getting us to the superbowl than Q was.

so im just curious why this is being overlooked so much?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...but CLEARLY edge was probably #3 (behind fitz n warner)...so im just curious why this is being overlooked so much?
"Clearly?" Mmmm...maybe not.

Both Q and Edge are considered team leaders. To determine which was more of a positive influence on the team, you'd have to be in the locker room and practice field to know that.

We shouldn't forget that one reason Fitz was so good was because the presence of Q made him better - i.e. Boldin made it it less likely that Fitz would be double covered.

I happen to agree with you that Edge is underrated - especially with regards to picking up yards after contact between the tackles and pass blocking effectively. But he also was part of an overall running game whose yards per carry was somewhere in the high 2's. (Contrast that with the overall effectiveness of the Cardinal passing attack with Boldin in there).

I also "get" that we did pretty well when Breaston moved up to #2 with Boldin out of there; but always remained a bit nervous during that period (We were one more ACL away from disaster).

Better than Boldin? Well let's just say that I'm uncomfortable pitting one against the other. I like 'em both and hope they'll both be back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
"Clearly?" Mmmm...maybe not.

Both Q and Edge are considered team leaders. To determine which was more of a positive influence on the team, you'd have to be in the locker room and practice field to know that.

We shouldn't forget that one reason Fitz was so good was because the presence of Q made him better - i.e. it less likely that Fitz would receive extra attention.

I happen to agree with you that Edge is underrated - especially with regards to picking up yards after contact between the tackles and pass blocking effectively. But he also was part of an overall running game whose yards per carry was somewhere in the high 2's.

And better than Boldin? Well let's just say that I'm uncomfortable pitting one against the other. I like 'em both and hope they'll both be back.

im sorry, i didnt make myself clear. I meant during our superbowl run he was more of an impact than quan.

And also im going to politely disagree with you. although i dont doubt that Q had an impact on how they played fitz.. i think every D cord we played after the first p/o game saw WHO they needed to stop and probably pretty much planned around specificly shutting 11 down. they couldnt... i mean the pictures we see from the entire p/o run of larry catching balls in double and triple coverage speak for themselves right =)

OP
OP
J

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
oh and just FYI, i am by NO MEANS an edge lover, i dont even care if he leaves i just think it will have way more of an impact than if Q did and edge stayed.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
oh and just FYI, i am by NO MEANS an edge lover, i dont even care if he leaves i just think it will have way more of an impact than if Q did and edge stayed.

In how many games did Q take the place of our running game? Q is an extension of the run game. Edge has said he will not play for this team, Q has not said that. Maybe you should recalculate.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Want both back.

This open to trade talks with Q has to be based around edge and seeing what we can get. we lose edge and dont get a top 3 guy then we are screwed.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

There was only one game last year where Edge did not start and Q did not play.
The Cards lost 47-7, had only 186 yards of offense and 8 first downs. I think we need to keep them both.

;)

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I see all these people going absolutely BATTY that we may be losing quan but CLEARLY edge was probably #3 (behind fitz n warner).

I have no fear that our air attack can go on w/o missing a beat minus Quan.

The running game without edge... yikes. Say what you want about edge but the dude was WAY more of a player getting us to the superbowl than Q was.

so im just curious why this is being overlooked so much?
Edge 'may' have been slightly more valuable than Q only because we had a couple viable running backs, and we have a stable of good WR's, but based on talent, Q blows Edge out of the water, its not even close. I sorta like Edge, but i think we could do better. He's not a good 1-2 punch with Hightower, he's too slow and cant get anything more than 20 yards. Although, he's a great pass blocker, and always gets positive yards, but he cant make nothin into somethin if you know what i mean lol. I'd take Q over Edge any day, and Edge already said he wants to be released, so he's gone right after the draft.

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
How many nfl records did edgehave after 6 years? Boldin has 3, all with the Cards; he's way more valuable to the team and to the league. we'll see that when we RELEASE him, not trade him to the highest suitor, who chases down his lamborrghini[?] to sign him. That said in disagreement, I agree that during the playoffs, he was our most valuable back.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I think we can take it to the bank that Edge is not going anywhere until we have his replacement in house. If that is not accomplished, then Edge will be our running back for 2009, whether or not he wants out.

OP
OP
J

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Young man, I have every reason to believe you may be under the influence of some type of illegal narcotic..

:D

fair enough. and i have every reason to believe you may be running around with the epidemic Q sauce all over your vision. :D

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we can take it to the bank that Edge is not going anywhere until we have his replacement in house. If that is not accomplished, then Edge will be our running back for 2009, whether or not he wants out.
I'll take your point one step farther (and advance my newest, latest pet theory about what's going on).

If you believe what others on this board are saying, the team is cap-strapped (hard-to-believe but possible if we want to extend the guys we want to extend).

The cap money tied up in Edge may very well represent the cap dollars we need to do both the Boldin and Dansby deals.

But Rod and his people are being cautious - they don't want to end up without Edge and without a suitable replacement RB.

So what I think they'll hope to either draft (or trade for) a quality RB and only then release Edge, free up the cap money and sign Q and KD. But if they feel they won't get the RB they want, they'll keep Edge and either trade Q or cut a few expendible guys to free up cap space and then try to get the Boldin and Dansby deals done.

This, in my opinion, is why there's been little or no movement (other than trade posturing over Boldin).

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
That's what I've been thinking. This is all part of the process for the Cardinals to make the best of the Q situation. They don't want to get rid of him but if they refuse to even listen to offers, it's only going to piss Q off even more. Now, they're really in the catbird seat. If all else fails, the Cardinals still have Q at a very reasonable price for two more years. If they aren't offered anything in the Roy Williams ballpark they can show Q that they weren't offered enough to justify trading him. All of this activity is going to also help establish Q's real market value and perhaps facilitate progression in an extension with the Cards.

He's asking for $9M+ and I'm sure the Cardinals aren't anywhere near that but if the market shows that he's actually "worth" $5M or whatever, it might make for some reconciliation.