Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earnhardt Jr. fined, docked 25 points for post-race curse

October 5, 2004
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida -
Dale Earnhardt Jr. wishes he had been a little more careful in his victory speech at Talladega Superspeedway.

On Tuesday, NASCAR officials fined Earnhardt $10,000 and docked him 25 points in the Nextel Cup standings, knocking him out of first place in the "Chase for the Cup," for making an inappropriate post-race comment.

After taking the checkered flag in the EA 500 on Sunday, a jubilant Earnhardt was asked what it meant to win in Talladega not once but five times. His off-the-cuff response was aired live on NBC.

"Well, it don't mean (bleep) right now" Earnhardt said in victory lane. "Daddy's (the late Dale Earnhardt) won here 10 times, so I've got to do more winning. But we're going to get there. He was the master. I'm just following in his tracks."

"Junior" has appealed the penalties as the 25-point deduction could be a critical blow to his championship hopes. Following his fifth victory of the year Sunday, Earnhardt reclaimed the lead over Kurt Busch in the "Chase for the Cup" with seven races remaining.

If the penalties are upheld, Earnhardt would fall 12 points behind Busch.

"This is a huge setback for the entire company," DEI director of competition Richie Gilmore said. "We're in a sport that focuses its primary attention on the final 10 races of the season and we're racing against formidable teams for a championship."

Entering the 10-race championship chase, Earnhardt was third in the standings, 10 points behind Jeff Gordon. He climbed into the lead with a third-pace finish in New Hampshire on September 19 but fell back to third with a ninth in Dover the following week.

Earnhardt, who will turn 30 on Sunday - when the fourth race in the "Chase for the Cup" takes place at Kansas Speedway - has been in the top 10 in the standings all season and in the top three since mid-March. His brief 13-point lead over Busch was his largest since the second race of the season.

"I think we're the only sport that takes points off the board after they've been scored," Gilmore said. "The popularity of this sport is based on colorful personalities and the fact that everyone can relate to these drivers and their emotions.

"Now it seems like that's a detriment."

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, Neck-Car is stupid.

I just don't understand the fascintation.

:shrug:

I know it's real popular, but I can't get into it.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya, I dont get it either. All it is is making left hand turns for like 4 hours. And the announcers on these things are horrible. "Wow, looke der, Rusty just made passed Gordon He re he (stupid southern laugh voice)". If nothing else is on ( I only have basic tv, no cable ), then Ill watch it just to see a crash.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gee-All I gotta say is try doing what they do for one hour, let alone 4. You will see how tough it is even if you don't hit a concrete wall or flip your car over a couple times. I know a guy very well who races Busch Series and it seems like a pleasant Sunday drive but it isn't...he has the pins, screws and scars to prove otherwise.

I am merely an observer of NASCAR and will watch buts and pieces of races throughout the year but this seems like an awfully strong penalty for a curse word. I mean they could penalize him out of a championship and that is wrong. Fine him? Yes. Heck even suspend him for Daytona next year (probably an equal punishment given the 500 is their "Super Bowl"). This seems to be harsh.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
I am merely an observer of NASCAR and will watch buts and pieces of races throughout the year but this seems like an awfully strong penalty for a curse word. I mean they could penalize him out of a championship and that is wrong. Fine him? Yes. Heck even suspend him for Daytona next year (probably an equal punishment given the 500 is their "Super Bowl"). This seems to be harsh.

Unfortunately for Dale Jr, NASCAR had punished two other drivers earlier the same amount of points for doing the same thing. You don't play the Super Bowl under a different set of rules than you do the regular season. NASCAR was at least being consistant.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
Unfortunately for Dale Jr, NASCAR had punished two other drivers earlier the same amount of points for doing the same thing. You don't play the Super Bowl under a different set of rules than you do the regular season. NASCAR was at least being consistant.

I didn't realize that they had dealt with this before (but am not surprised they did). Problem is, when the top 10 started out separated by only 50 points, this 25 point punishment is %-wise alot higher than the other guys. The effect is much greater than the previous instances...which I am assuming happened before The Chase.

Yes, they must treat them all the same but the big picture deal is should ANY of them been docked 25 points? In that, I am not so sure.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
Gee-All I gotta say is try doing what they do for one hour, let alone 4.
This seems to be the only arguement on why it is fun or whatever. Personally, I dont buy it. Just be well hydrated and have a lil upper body strength.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
The mentality that it is just all left hand turns is why you do not like it.

There is more to NASCAR then lefthand turns but..... you have to have the interest to get past the lefthand turn issue.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't agree with taking away points for anything other than rules violations pertaining to the equipment. What Junior said was pretty tame and at the same time quite accurate. NASCAR is getting as bad as the NFL with some of their recent rulings. You wanna learn a few new colorful explitives? Listen in on the teams radio's during a run. :D

Gee, Not to pile on but what you see on Sunday for four hours is such a small amount of what it takes to field a competitive car you would be amazed. And that four hours seems like a lifetime when you're doing it.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
Gee, Not to pile on but what you see on Sunday for four hours is such a small amount of what it takes to field a competitive car you would be amazed. And that four hours seems like a lifetime when you're doing it.
Well I guess thats exactly what I mean.. I could go to my local garage and have done to my car what they do there. I drive streets daily. It just doesnt seem out of the ordinary as saying playing on a NFL field. Nothing seems outstanding in what they do to me.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
Gee-All I gotta say is try doing what they do for one hour, let alone 4. You will see how tough it is even if you don't hit a concrete wall or flip your car over a couple times. I know a guy very well who races Busch Series and it seems like a pleasant Sunday drive but it isn't...he has the pins, screws and scars to prove otherwise.

I have to agree with you there! I rode in a cup car at Atlanta for three laps (1.5 mile track) going 170 MPH. It takes a toll on you, man.

AZCB34, I'm curious to know which driver you know in the Busch series. We are pretty excited about Truex, since he's a Jersey guy and all.

I was of the mentality that racing was stupid for most of my life ... til I started betting on it with my brother and his friends. Then I started paying attention (since I was losing money) and started to really get into it. I know I'm not gonna change anyone's opinion of the sport, but there is teamwork and strategy involved for sure. Yeah, the announces can be a little wacky sometimes, but that's part of the fun!

Any going to races is cool. Lots of fans of different drivers but everyone seems to get along really well. It's a great time!

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
I don't agree with taking away points for anything other than rules violations pertaining to the equipment. What Junior said was pretty tame and at the same time quite accurate. NASCAR is getting as bad as the NFL with some of their recent rulings. You wanna learn a few new colorful explitives? Listen in on the teams radio's during a run. :D

I have to agree. All these rule changes and fines are taking away from the sport, I think. It's just stupid NASCAR trying to make things more interesting to the masses of people who are just starting to get into it.

I'm surprised that they fined him because Jr. seems to get away with some stuff that other drivers don't and NASCAR isn't always consistent in handing down penalties. Guess they did it cause you're not supposed to say "****" on TV, according to the FCC.

Djaughe

Reaction score
I'm not a nascar fan...but my 3.5 year old loves it! He keeps pointing out one of the cars that has the mcdonalds logo on it.

I dunno if sponsers stick to only one driver - But I sure am curious who the driver is.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jersey Girl Cards Fan said:
AZCB34, I'm curious to know which driver you know in the Busch series. We are pretty excited about Truex, since he's a Jersey guy and all.
!

David Stremme...great guy and has had some success.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What happens if he loses the championship by less than 25 points?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
I'm not a nascar fan...but my 3.5 year old loves it! He keeps pointing out one of the cars that has the mcdonalds logo on it.

I dunno if sponsors stick to only one driver - But I sure am curious who the driver is.

Bill Elliot

You must be registered for see images attach

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:

Then he'll be kicking himself for cursing on TV amd Junior Nation will cry, cry, cry.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:

Probably curse so much he'd fall completely out of the points standings. :shrug:

:|

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
SameOleGee said:
Well I guess thats exactly what I mean.. I could go to my local garage and have done to my car what they do there. I drive streets daily. It just doesnt seem out of the ordinary as saying playing on a NFL field. Nothing seems outstanding in what they do to me.

Sorry to say but, that's where your limited knowledge and experience has left you. You don't know what is happening on the race track so you can't appreciate it.

I love the NFL too, as evidence by my intensity during the season. I have nothing but the utmost respect for what these athletes can do on a grassy field.

Racecar drivers have a never solid field to compete. You would be amazed at what a two degree temperature change can do to a car. You would be further amazed at what 150+ miles per hour really feels like.

Do you think any NFL player runs a 7 second rout wondering if this is his life? And at the end he gets to take a break for 25 seconds.

Racing has no time for regrouping. It happens on the fly. You let off because your nerves are rattled then you just lost ten spots in the blink of an eye. You need a second stringer to take your place because you're winded? Ain't gonna happen.

Like I said, I admire and enjoy everything an NFL player goes through. Sit your arse in a car at a speed you know will kill you with one wrong move and maintain that for a solid four hours with no breaks, no timeouts, and no change between defense or offense. It's just you. No team to blame, no arguement about stats, nothing other than second place is the first of many losers.

It would be like the entire NFL playing a game where all 32 teams go at it at once and only one can survive.

Racing gets a bad rap. It is one intensive sport.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not talking bad about nascar. It just looks extremely boring to me. Like I said earlier I watch the races sometimes, and all I do is get irritated by them. But hey, to each his own. :D :thumbup:

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
SameOleGee said:
Im not talking bad about nascar. It just looks extremely boring to me. Like I said earlier I watch the races sometimes, and all I do is get irritated by them. But hey, to each his own. :D :thumbup:

:thumbup:

No problem Gee, I get amped when talking about racing. Many days spent at different race tracks.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
:thumbup:

No problem Gee, I get amped when talking about racing. Many days spent at different race tracks.
Only track I go to is Firebird to see the top fuels. Man, the 1st time I went, holy *&%#$ *^%&$ *&%(&^% !!!!!!! My eyeballs were bouncing around in their sockets when the big boys went by. I try to get out there every year for those. Missed it this year though. :(

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SameOleGee said:
Only track I go to is Firebird to see the top fuels. Man, the 1st time I went, holy *&%#$ *^%&$ *&%(&^% !!!!!!! My eyeballs were bouncing around in their sockets when the big boys went by. I try to get out there every year for those. Missed it this year though. :(

Go up to Manzanita sometime. Reasonable price to get in and some fun racing. You can watch some real doofus' in bombers or go up in classes and see some decent drivers and you can really get a feel for quality local racing. Check out sprints some time as well. I think that is the finest racing out at Manzy.

Seeing it live and feeling the thunder and seeing the whole track at once essentially puts it in a much different light.

Went to my very first NASCAR race last year and while TV can give you the glitz and glamor, being there live is much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn