Dumb TV Commercials

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched the "I ate the bones" commercial for KFC that's been getting a lot of playtime and it reminded me of all the really stupid advertisement ideas we've seen through the years. Why in the world would you want to make 8 year old kids afraid of eating chicken (mommy, why is that man screaming about chicken bones?). Whose bright idea was this one? Although nothing will compete with the Chase & Sanborn wife beating commercials from the early 50's (he spanks her for getting stale coffee), this one is up there with the dumbest Ad ideas ever IMO.

Anyone have any other candidates?

Steve

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I actually think that commercial is kind of funny and it most likely plays well in their targeted demos .... plus at the end of the commercial they make it abundently clear that the chicken does not have bones as they break apart a piece ..... I don't think it's a bad ad at all ......... product is so delicious you inhale it, guy comes back from his carnivore fit and has a dopey humorous moment .... then they show the new product, steaming hot in almost a full screen ..... you know who it is for, what it is pretty quickly

For me the dumb tv commercials are the ones that are maybe a bit too abstract where you have no idea what they are even promoting ...... that and about every accident injury lawyer spot........

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think that commercial is kind of funny and it most likely plays well in their targeted demos .... plus at the end of the commercial they make it abundently clear that the chicken does not have bones as they break apart a piece ..... I don't think it's a bad ad at all ......... product is so delicious you inhale it, guy comes back from his carnivore fit and has a dopey humorous moment .... then they show the new product, steaming hot in almost a full screen ..... you know who it is for, what it is pretty quickly

For me the dumb tv commercials are the ones that are maybe a bit too abstract where you have no idea what they are even promoting ...... that and about every accident injury lawyer spot........

You're looking at it like an adult. I think a child is likely to ask why that guy is scared to death and screaming his head off. IMO, most children will walk away with the message that eating chicken is dangerous even after they get an explanation from their parent. Whether I'm right or wrong, I'm surprised they'd even take the risk of frightening away part of their consumer base, now or in the future.

Steve

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I think you underestimate kids ability to get humor. The guy was not injured, his friends looked at him like he's nuts and they clearly stated that the chicken doesn't have bones therefore you don't need to be worried about eating them

I don't know of any kid who would be scared to eat chicken because of that commercial and I know a lot of kids in that age range both in my family and from my wifes school

I really don't see a single way a kid would be scared ..... most have some experience with chicken and it's not like the bones sneak up on you and they have experience with tenders, etc which don't have bones ........ if a kid objected because of the commercial a simple "there aren't any bones in the pieces you have nothing to worry about" from a parent should calm them down

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you underestimate kids ability to get humor. The guy was not injured, his friends looked at him like he's nuts and they clearly stated that the chicken doesn't have bones therefore you don't need to be worried about eating them

I don't know of any kid who would be scared to eat chicken because of that commercial and I know a lot of kids in that age range both in my family and from my wifes school

I really don't see a single way a kid would be scared ..... most have some experience with chicken and it's not like the bones sneak up on you and they have experience with tenders, etc which don't have bones ........ if a kid objected because of the commercial a simple "there aren't any bones in the pieces you have nothing to worry about" from a parent should calm them down

Well, maybe the world has changed more than I realize.

Steve

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

"I ate the bones."

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about KFC's recent gem "Game Day Bucket go boom".

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Speaking of dumb commercials it is time for those AT&T commercials with the annoying brats to go away.

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about KFC's recent gem "Game Day Bucket go boom".

Yeah, I didn't like that commercial either but I did think the girl that delivers that line had some on screen charisma.

Steve

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glee commercials on FOX during football games.. Are that many NFL fans eager for the new episodes of Glee? I think they are totally missing their target audience..

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any GEICO commercial sucks, and any Progressive commercial sucks.

Oh man I thought I was the only one that hated the Progressive commercials. I'm not even sure why I hate them (which usually means I'm being unreasonable) but I just can't help myself. As for Geico, I used to like their commercials but I've not liked any since they first started their caveman ads.

Steve

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Truck Month"

Things really lose their sizzle when it happens every damn month. It happens so often that when we see the commercials, the wife and I always wish each other a, "Happy Truck Month, honey."

"And a Happy Truck Month to you, dear."

Just stop it already. :bang:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

progressives arent very good but geico has had some htis and misses. Some of the caveman ads were solid - im not a big fan of the new "happy as a" ones.

and ill throw in - i dont think kids are the ones KFC is marketing to, they are marketing to the ones with money in their wallets.

the earlier mention of commercials that have nothing to do with the product are the worse. I know of several commercials I totally remember but have no idea what it was advertising. Fail.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just thought of one, the Chanel No. 5 with Brad Pitt. Painful to watch. Can that campaign possibly sell one bottle?

However, for any Stern listeners out there, keep an ear out for Bigfoot's version of that commercial. Pure gold, it is.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new Blimpie one with the talking sandwich and the stoner looking dude. Sooooo freaking annoying.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Totally agree with Progressive. I know many people who would like to kick Flo in the head.

I actually like the GEICO commercial with Dikembe Mutombo, but I really, really like Dikembe Mutombo.

And, just an aside, I can see some kids being concerned about the "I ate the bones" commercial. #elementaryschoolteacher

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard