Driving Phx to Ensenada

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Has anyone driven this route? We plan on going thru the Tecate border crossing (smaller, but less busy than Tijuana).

- from Tecate onward, looks like it's Route 2D. Is the road hilly or flat? Do we need a 6cyl car or can we get by with a 4cyl? Alternatively, there is Route 3 which looks more hilly and goes via the Guadalupe Valley (wine country)

- Toll road in Baja; do they accept US$ or only Mex$

- Can we purchase the Mex car insurance once over the border, or in USA side?

TIA!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you purchase insurance, do it on the US side. Best option is to get through your regular carrier - the policies that the sell at the border are close to worthless.

I did that drive (from Flagstaff) 30+ years ago (in a 4 cyl pickup with 6 people (4 in the bed) and a blown head gasket without a problem.

Not sure on the toll road - I am pretty sure we took Route 3, but then again, it was 1985...

I don't have fond memories of Ensanada...

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
If you purchase insurance, do it on the US side. Best option is to get through your regular carrier - the policies that the sell at the border are close to worthless.

I did that drive (from Flagstaff) 30+ years ago (in a 4 cyl pickup with 6 people (4 in the bed) and a blown head gasket without a problem.

Not sure on the toll road - I am pretty sure we took Route 3, but then again, it was 1985...

I don't have fond memories of Ensanada...

oh geez, and you didn't get stopped by the Mex police? A lot has changed in Baja since 1985, except you can count on the police stopping you for some stupid thing and then you have to pay them off to let you go.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh geez, and you didn't get stopped by the Mex police? A lot has changed in Baja since 1985, except you can count on the police stopping you for some stupid thing and then you have to pay them off to let you go.

Why do you think I don't have fond memories of Ensanada...

Mixed reviews actually.

One bad experience, one great experience, one neutral. Never had to pay any money. Good stories to all :)

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My .02 cents worth, I would never drive on the open road in Mexico at night. Too many animals, trucks stopped in the middle of the road, etc. Been there, done that.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My .02 cents worth, I would never drive on the open road in Mexico at night. Too many animals, trucks stopped in the middle of the road, etc. Been there, done that.

Agreed not at night

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
I've made the drive a number of times. The 1st being when I was in grad school at ASU ca. 2004. I had to do research for my thesis in the area. Crossed at Tecate and crossed the northern end on the peninsula. Gorgeous wine country. Stop at the Presidente brandy HQ. The sometimes have tours and samples. The toll road usually only costs me a few bucks. Gone solo twice, which I though would be a bit nerve wracking, but everything was uneventful. Like others have said, avoid driving at night.

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I've made the drive a number of times. The 1st being when I was in grad school at ASU ca. 2004. I had to do research for my thesis in the area. Crossed at Tecate and crossed the northern end on the peninsula. Gorgeous wine country. Stop at the Presidente brandy HQ. The sometimes have tours and samples. The toll road usually only costs me a few bucks. Gone solo twice, which I though would be a bit nerve wracking, but everything was uneventful. Like others have said, avoid driving at night.

Was that Route 3? Is it mountainous or relatively flat?

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Well- did you live thru it?

Yes, lol. Took the toll roads whenever possible, which can get a bit pricey (from Tecate down to Rosarito was $6, others varied). Regular highway roads (non-toll) were always in bad shape.

Now I remember why I dislike Mexico ... smelly, trash everywhere, bad roads, bad streets. There's only 1 sandy beach (north of Ensenada) or at a hotel. Parking was a nightmare; my pollution headaches were pretty bad - I had the same problem with Mexico City's air pollution.

The wine country was nice - the day we went it was windy so dust everywhere (again, my sinus problems kicked in)

Other than that, it was great! Some very scenic areas.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA