Dragic Named 2013-14 NBA Most Improved Player

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised. I was afraid the fact he was playing alongside a couple of other legitimate candidates was going to cost him. I think the All Star snub has a lot to do with this. He played for stretches this season like a true MVP candidate which is almost unheard of for a player that didn't even get a backup spot in the All Star game. Congratulations Goran.

OP
OP
Cheesewater

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
And it wasn't even close. From the article:

"Collecting 408 of a possible 1,134 points, Dragic received 65 first-place votes from a panel of 126 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada. Lance Stephenson of the Indiana Pacers (158 points, 13 first-place votes) and Anthony Davis of the New Orleans Pelicans (155 points, 16 first-place votes) came in second and third, respectively. Players were awarded five points for each first-place vote, three points for each second-place vote and one point for each third-place vote received."

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Wow, congratulations, Mr. Dragic! The Suns have a bit of a knack for this award recently.

I sure wish, however, that the write-ups for these awards would not get the total number of "possible" points wrong, which they do every time. 1134 points were awarded, but it was not possible to get 1134 points, because each ballot had three names. The highest possible number of points was 5*126 = 630.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Wow, congratulations, Mr. Dragic! The Suns have a bit of a knack for this award recently.

I sure wish, however, that the write-ups for these awards would not get the total number of "possible" points wrong, which they do every time. 1134 points were awarded, but it was not possible to get 1134 points, because each ballot had three names. The highest possible number of points was 5*126 = 630.
Not if everyone gave Dragic 1st, 2nd and 3rd on their ballots. ;)

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

It's a weighted award, giving 5 points for first place, 3 for second place and 1 for third. Therefore it's 9*126=1134.

Errntknght

Reaction score
It's a weighted award, giving 5 points for first place, 3 for second place and 1 for third. Therefore it's 9*126=1134.

Unless the voters could list the same player first, second and third, Eric is right - the max you can get is 126 first place votes. Therefore the max is as he said 126*5. Heck, he even did the arithmetic right!

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Unless the voters could list the same player first, second and third, Eric is right - the max you can get is 126 first place votes. Therefore the max is as he said 126*5. Heck, he even did the arithmetic right!

I read his post twice and I was on my third reading of yours before it finally sank in. You guys are right, there are a total of 1134 points but no player can get them all.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just noticed that Gerald Green came in 4th in the voting with 16 first-place votes and 117 total points. Markieff Morris was 10th.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard