Drafting Isaiah Simmons played a huge role in costing the Cardinals a playoff spot

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No ones questioning his talent. However, either Vance is the biggest idiot in sports (not going to completely doubt it) or you really need a defensive genius to figure out what to do with him full time.

To end the season we scored SEVEN and TWELVE POINTS in DIVISION GAMES. Those teams arent going way. An elite Olineman or really good playmaker passed up for a guy who may be really good here IF we get the right coach, etc etc.
A smart DC who can't figure out how to use Simmons would call Brent Venables & discuss it with him. An even smarter DC would know how to use him. VJ is neither so there it is in a nutshell. How a team can pick you apart with a backup QB time & time again is mind boggling. Simmons was the right pick, yes we need better WR's besides Hopkins but our DC is also clueless.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A smart DC who can't figure out how to use Simmons would call Brent Venables & discuss it with him. An even smarter DC would know how to use him. VJ is neither so there it is in a nutshell. How a team can pick you apart with a backup QB time & time again is mind boggling. Simmons was the right pick, yes we need better WR's besides Hopkins but our DC is also clueless.
Honestly, I think the DC at Clemson might have did him a disservice. He's not twitchy enough to play slot corner in the NFL. He's not physical enough when blitzing off the edge.

He probably would have been better honing on one skill. As NFL scouts said you essentially have to build a defense around him. And thats fine, but risky. Would a new DC want to do that?

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I want to bump all the threads I said Lamb lol, I saw no other Wr next to Hopkins.

Keim taking Andy over Metcalf ? Smh

Murray

Hopkins Lamb Kirk. It was Hopkins and scrubs

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's not rush to judgement but see what Simmons can do with an actually off season that includes OTAs, mini-camps and pre-season games. He had none this year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Fake outrage. You just got Hopkins for peanuts. The issue is Vance's mismanagement of Simmons. When he's out there, he makes plays. There isnt much more Simmons could do to convince VJ to keep him on the field, especially over guys like Vallejo, Fitts, etc. If you have what you presume is your QBoF, you dont need two elite receivers. The QB makes his WRs look better.

Simmons was the right pick, unequivocally.
I like Simmons but the right pick was an OT. You are banking your franchise on an undersized and inexperienced QB, for God's sake, protect him.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jones will play tackle next year. We will draft a WR in round 2 to replace Kirk.

Simmons was the right pick.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I understand picking an O Lineman but you have to choose your side here. BPA or BPA at a position of need.

Unfortunately for most of the world...... Simmons was both. And seriously guys...... Rightly so. He was the best player left.... and at a position of need.

Also..... At the time of the draft we had Hump coming off a good season and Gilbert coming back from injury.

You really need to factor in those points.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Any time you prioritize ILB over OL, you have your priorities mixed. Without your QB, none of it matters and your QB can't execute consistently without a good offensive line. RB is only productive if the line blocks. WR are only productive if your QB has time to get them the ball.

Tanner Vallejo and DEvondre Campbell can be at the two ILB spots and your defense can be average. QB gets knocked out or doesn't have time, good freaking luck having any chance.

We drafted the Lambo and can't afford the insurance or plates.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any time you prioritize ILB over OL, you have your priorities mixed. Without your QB, none of it matters and your QB can't execute consistently without a good offensive line. RB is only productive if the line blocks. WR are only productive if your QB has time to get them the ball.

Tanner Vallejo and DEvondre Campbell can be at the two ILB spots and your defense can be average. QB gets knocked out or doesn't have time, good freaking luck having any chance.

We drafted the Lambo and can't afford the insurance or plates.
Folks here better hope Josh Jones was a steal otherwise it’s gonna be real hilarious reading the 2020 draft takes.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I understand picking an O Lineman but you have to choose your side here. BPA or BPA at a position of need.

Unfortunately for most of the world...... Simmons was both. And seriously guys...... Rightly so. He was the best player left.... and at a position of need.

Also..... At the time of the draft we had Hump coming off a good season and Gilbert coming back from injury.

You really need to factor in those points.
How was Simmons any more of a BPA than Wirfs? Both were equally freaky athletes. Both were successful in college. Wirfs actually plays a position of higher priority.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Folks here better hope Josh Jones was a steal otherwise it’s gonna be real hilarious reading the 2020 draft takes.
The fact that I did really like Simmons as a prospect is about the only reason I am not more frustrated with it. And it would have been the same if we drafted Lamb.

Keim likes to act like he is smarter than everyone else. You can't circumvent the process and the process is that in order to consistently be good, you have to have a good offensive line.

Bills...good offensive line.

Ravens...good offensive line.

Browns...good offensive line for the first time in a long time and they make the playoffs.

Chiefs...same.

Colts...same.

Saints...same.

Bucs...same.

Packers...same.

It isn't a coincidence.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So, for those wondering who we should take in round 1 this year.

Rashawn Slater - C/OT/OG (anywhere) - Northwestern

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact that I did really like Simmons as a prospect is about the only reason I am not more frustrated with it. And it would have been the same if we drafted Lamb.

Keim likes to act like he is smarter than everyone else. You can't circumvent the process and the process is that in order to consistently be good, you have to have a good offensive line.

Bills...good offensive line.

Ravens...good offensive line.

Browns...good offensive line for the first time in a long time and they make the playoffs.

Chiefs...same.

Colts...same.

Saints...same.

Bucs...same.

Packers...same.

It isn't a coincidence.
Folks like flashiness.

Which is I wasn’t even against Derrick Brown being the pick. He was coming along in the later half of the season for Carolina. The game is always controlled in the trenches, which damn near every team has showed us on the schedule.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
How was Simmons any more of a BPA than Wirfs? Both were equally freaky athletes. Both were successful in college. Wirfs actually plays a position of higher priority.
How can you be confident that we pick Wirfs over Wills or Becton?

This is the worst kind of after action review. You don't pounce looking for errors. You pounce when your process isn't sound. This process and decision was sound.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is the correct quibble. Saying we should’ve taken Lamb or one of the Alabama WRs is an extremely bad take.

Christian Kirk being a big fat zero in his third season is the real reason we’re out of the playoffs. Andy Isabella being an afterthought is another good reason.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
How can you be confident that we pick Wirfs over Wills or Becton?

This is the worst kind of after action review. You don't pounce looking for errors. You pounce when your process isn't sound. This process and decision was sound.
Wirfs, Wills or Becton...it really didn't matter. We had three choices to upgrade our line and we passed on all of them. I only mention Wirfs because, like Simmons, he tested crazy at the combine as well.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jones will play tackle next year. We will draft a WR in round 2 to replace Kirk.

Simmons was the right pick.
No guarantee there's a WR in round 2 as good as the WRs the last two years though. I'm not as high on this WR class though I do hope we find one thats a good player.
Wirfs, Wills or Becton...it really didn't matter. We had three choices to upgrade our line and we passed on all of them. I only mention Wirfs because, like Simmons, he tested crazy at the combine as well.
Not to mention we likely would have started Wirfs off at guard and could have cut Sweezy to save 5 mill. Upgrading the interior immediately. I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
No guarantee there's a WR in round 2 as good as the WRs the last two years though. I'm not as high on this WR class though I do hope we find one thats a good player.

Not to mention we likely would have started Wirfs off at guard and could have cut Sweezy to save 5 mill. Upgrading the interior immediately. I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere.
I would argue that if you are taking Wirfs that high, you are playing him at RT from day 1, especially once Gilbert opted-out.