Drafting Isaiah Simmons played a huge role in costing the Cardinals a playoff spot

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So many games that could have been won for a guy we only play 35% of the snaps.

I'm not down on him. However, we had a chance to solidify this Oline or add a future #2 Wr. Instead we added a jack of all trades guy with DC that has no clue what to do with him. And who knows if the guy we bring in will know what to do as well.

Keim chose a toy over supporting Kliff/Kyler

So many games where we just needed a little better run blocking, another play maker to make a play, etc.

We're an offensive team right? WE should have truly embraced that and went for it all. Instead we've got Vance subbing Simmons in and out. And even when Simmons is out there I dont see the physicality needed for a true difference maker.

Maybe it works out long term. Maybe not. However, it cost us this year.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Fake outrage. You just got Hopkins for peanuts. The issue is Vance's mismanagement of Simmons. When he's out there, he makes plays. There isnt much more Simmons could do to convince VJ to keep him on the field, especially over guys like Vallejo, Fitts, etc. If you have what you presume is your QBoF, you dont need two elite receivers. The QB makes his WRs look better.

Simmons was the right pick, unequivocally.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Fake outrage. You just got Hopkins for peanuts. The issue is Vance's mismanagement of Simmons. When he's out there, he makes plays. There isnt much more Simmons could do to convince VJ to keep him on the field, especially over guys like Vallejo, Fitts, etc.

This. Kylie Fitts was literally ahead of Simmons for the first half of the season. I mean, we are talking Kylie Fitts!

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fake outrage. You just got Hopkins for peanuts. The issue is Vance's mismanagement of Simmons. When he's out there, he makes plays. There isnt much more Simmons could do to convince VJ to keep him on the field, especially over guys like Vallejo, Fitts, etc.
Agreed, although I’ll take Vallejo and Simmons over Hicks and Campbell every day of the week and twice on Sunday right now.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm not down on him. However, we had a chance to solidify this Oline or add a future #2 Wr. Instead we added a jack of all trades guy with DC that has no clue what to do with him. And who knows if the guy we bring in will know what to do as well.

So many games where we just needed a little better run blocking, another play maker to make a play, etc.

We're an offensive team right? WE should have truly embraced that and went for it all. Instead we've got Vance subbing Simmons in and out. And even when Simmons is out there I dont see the physicality needed for a true difference maker.

he was regarded as BPA by a lot of guys and I mean ALOT.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As much as I believe Kliff is below-average to one of the worst play callers in the league.

This is a different team with Ruggs/Lamb/Jeudy on offense.

There is really no other impact skilled player on offense besides Hopkins.

Every team in the playoffs has a couple guys that are money.

Cardinals just have Hopkins. Larry is a grandfather in football years.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I will spin it this way...NOT taking O-lineman...several of them...was the wrong choice after watching that disaster that was last season.

People PRAISED our O-Line last year, when anyone that actually watched the game saw Kyler getting pressured on every play.

A real GM that sees KM as the franchise QB would have taken an O-Lineman at 8, or done something about the interior O-Line.

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
Over the Cardinals’ history, the team has had horrible drafts, especially the No1 spot. Given where the AZ has drafted, In my opinion, the person drafted first MUST be a starter and good enough to play multiple years.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Fake outrage. You just got Hopkins for peanuts. The issue is Vance's mismanagement of Simmons. When he's out there, he makes plays. There isnt much more Simmons could do to convince VJ to keep him on the field, especially over guys like Vallejo, Fitts, etc. If you have what you presume is your QBoF, you dont need two elite receivers. The QB makes his WRs look better.

Thats the issue though. Kiem and VJ clearly werent on the same page on how they would use Simmons.

If there was not an understanding, why take the chance and draft him if he wont be utilized properly?

Vance being defensive coordinator to begin is another issue as I am dubious on his abilities at best

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Over Wirfs, Becton, or Wills......... Not a lot..... ALL but maybe one or two kooks.

Werent Wirfs and Wills RT? RT are never as highly regarded as LT.

Becton was a super raw project

that being said Becton and Wirfs look good so far. Jesus I would love Becton at Guard.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

For us? Heck no.

The NFL scouts said SImmons works best in a dime defense and you might have to change your entire defense to fit around him. There were better plug and play stars we could have had.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isaiah in the last stretch of the season didn't look very good to be honest
But I still think he was the best pick at that time

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Coaching kept this team from being successful no ifs, ands or buts about it!!!!

Half of Kliffs plays calls & game situation decisions can highly be questioned. He’s a fraud

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Such a horrible take IMO.
And if he still doesnt have a position next year? Still at 50% snaps? Still not physical enough for down hill running teams?

This isnt to say Simmons cant be a star. However, we're not the ones capable of doing that imo.

Wirfs would have given us an elite player on the Oline for years to come.

See how quickly nothing mattered once Kyler went down?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
And if he still doesnt have a position next year? Still at 50% snaps? Still not physical enough for down hill running teams?

This isnt to say Simmons cant be a star. However, we're not the ones capable of doing that imo.

Wirfs would have given us an elite player on the Oline for years to come.

See how quickly nothing mattered once Kyler went down?
He was closing down the run just fine. Kids don't get better on the sideline.

He had a significant play in this game. Stopped a 4th down on the goal line earlier this year, and also a game clinching INT on Sunday Night Football.

Penalties can be fixed with playing time reps.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Isaiah in the last stretch of the season didn't look very good to be honest
But I still think he was the best pick at that time
Not saying he wont be "good"

However, we're asking a Texas Tech coach to have a gameplan for defensive dynamo like Simmons? Thats not going to work. And chances are the new DC we bring probably will have issues figuring out how to really use him.

This wasnt the team to develop Simmons. It just wasnt. Go with what you know and upgrade the Oline. Or add another playmaker.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He was closing down the run just fine. Kids don't get better on the sideline.

He had a significant play in this game. Stopped a 4th down on the goal line earlier this year, and also a game clinching INT on Sunday Night Football.

Penalties can be fixed with playing time reps.
No ones questioning his talent. However, either Vance is the biggest idiot in sports (not going to completely doubt it) or you really need a defensive genius to figure out what to do with him full time.

To end the season we scored SEVEN and TWELVE POINTS in DIVISION GAMES. Those teams arent going way. An elite Olineman or really good playmaker passed up for a guy who may be really good here IF we get the right coach, etc etc.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wirfs has been close to elite this year. Wills has been solid and probably would be even better at RT. Becton looks like a stud.

Dude...DJ Humphries only gave up 2 sacks last year. Our Oline is awesome, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Cardinals coaching staff knows how to use Simmons. His name is Budda Baker.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard