Draft Watch: Trade talk heating up

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
Here's what we're hearing so far:

The Phoenix Suns have put Leandro Barbosa and Boris Diaw on the table in attempts to either move up in the draft or secure another veteran to play alongside Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire and Shaquille O'Neal.

"I think our needs are pretty clear," one Suns insider told ESPN.com. "We can't ask Grant Hill to play 40 minutes a night, and Barbosa isn't really a point guard."

The Suns own the Atlanta Hawks' pick at No. 15, but the players they covet in the draft -- Russell Westbrook, Joe Alexander and Brandon Rush -- probably will be lottery picks.

Small forwards on the market include Richard Jefferson of the New Jersey Nets, Josh Howard of the Dallas Mavericks, Gerald Wallace of the Charlotte Bobcats and Tayshaun Prince of the Detroit Pistons.

But there are stumbling blocks to each deal. The Mavs might not want to send Howard to a rival team. Detroit president Joe Dumars is probably not interested in Diaw. The Nets need contracts that expire by 2010. And it's unclear whether the Suns would be willing to take back Wallace's contract.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...olumnist=ford_chad&page=Drafttradetalk-080618

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That would be something..
if the Suns can get Josh Howard + Mavs pick for Barbosa, Diaw and Suns pick.

I would love that trade scenario. Terry, Barbosa and Kidd guard rotation, then you have Diaw and Nowitski forward rotation.

Howard's stock dropped a bit this past season I think.

The Pistons trade looks interesting also, Diaw's contract is the main concern obviously.

I'd take Stuckey, Pistons pick and Wallace for Diaw, Barbosa and 15th.

But I think they'll want to hold on to Stuckey, unless the Pistons find a "big" left over by the time No.15 pick rolls on, then it might make them trigger the trade, I can see them draft one of the bigs left over in Robin Brooks, McGee or Jordan.
Gives them another run with the core.

PG: Billups
SG: Hamilton
SF: Prince
PF: Maxiel
C: McDyess

PF/SF: Diaw
PG/SG: Barbosa
C: No.15.

Suns new lineup,

PG: Nash
SG: Bell
SF: Hill
PF: Stoudemire
C: O'Neal

PF/C: Wallace
PG: Stuckey
SF: Giricek or draft pick

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
The Suns own the Atlanta Hawks' pick at No. 15, but the players they covet in the draft -- Russell Westbrook, Joe Alexander and Brandon Rush -- probably will be lottery picks.

This is the first time I've seen discussion that Rush is expected to go lottery.

17 draftexpress
22 nbadraft.net
21 draftreview.com
17 hoopshype
19 insidehoopes.com
23 msnbc

ESPN is the only mock I track to have him in the lottery, although that may change.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/

Wolves Workout Brandon Rush

Jun 19, 2008 10:57 AM EST

You must be registered for see images attach
The Timberwolves entered the final days of preparation for the NBA Draft on Wednesday by hosting Kansas swingman Brandon Rush, according to The Associated Press.
He is projected to be drafted toward the lower half of the lottery down into the later first round.

Timberwolves' Vice President of Basketball Operations Kevin McHale said Rush is "way, way better" than he was a few years ago.
"He has really matured his game. Really a nice player," McHale said. "He defends and catches and shoots and spreads the court. And really a good kid."

At #3 they clearly are not going to take Rush, but there are lots of trade down scenerios being projected.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It makes me nervous just to hear about trades, especially with Barbs and Diaw. I have no confidence Kerr has the ability to get equal value in trades. He does not protect picks he trades away, he does not attain picks he should. I think I would prefer just to draft a player and move on.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
My only consolation is that I'm pretty sure Kerr doesn't pay attention to the trade proposals on this board. :bang:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Here are some of the rumors that AZ Republic is reporting in regards to the draft

Link: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0620sunsnotes0620.html

Regarding Barbosa

Since the season ended, any Suns deal figured to include Leandro Barbosa or Boris Diaw. Consideration for such moves has accelerated and cooled in recent weeks but remains a possibility with Phoenix looking to move up in Thursday's draft order or acquire another first-round pick to go with its No. 15 selection.

With Barbosa, the talks of most substance have been with Portland and New York. A Portland deal would have sent 21-year-old swingman Martell Webster, next week's No. 13 pick and another piece for Barbosa. Webster, who is 6 feet 7, averaged 10.7 points and hit 39 percent of his 3-pointers as a starter last season while improving his defense and rebounding. He missed the final seven games due to an irregular heartbeat.

Webster will make $3.8 million in the upcoming final year of his contract. Barbosa, who averaged 15.6 points and hit 39 percent of his 3-pointers last season, will make $27.4 million in the next four years.

New York, with its No. 6 draft slot, often comes up as a trade destination for Barbosa since Mike D'Antoni accepted the Knicks job last month. Barbosa's tutor, Dan D'Antoni, also will join the Knicks staff.

The Knicks deal seems purely based on speculation but the Portland proposal seems to have some legs to it.

Barbosa has said he wants to stay and has spent extra time with Porter.

Regarding Diaw

A Diaw trade possibility involved Toronto, where talk centered on Diaw leaving for point guard T.J. Ford and the Raptors' No. 17 pick in Thursday's draft. Talks cooled but might reignite with Porter aboard. In Porter's first season as Milwaukee's head coach, Ford helped the Bucks to a 41-41 playoff season. When Ford missed the next season after neck surgery, the Bucks went 30-52 and fired Porter.

Ford, 25, is drawing interest but is a risk after having two vertebrae fused in 2004. He has three contract years worth $25 million remaining.

This proposal is REALLY intriguing to me. Although you have to worry about Ford's health, he's a talented player that fills a hole. However I'm also curious to see what Porter could do with Diaw considering how much talent he has.

With the reports of Toronto wanting to trade up, this may all be moot anyways.

In regard to trading up in general:

Suns General Manager Steve Kerr does not comment on player trade speculation but talked this week about moving up in the draft.

"There are guys we like that won't be there," Kerr said, referring to his 15th pick.

Make your own speculations on who is he is refering to

Last edited:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
A combo of the Toronto and Portland trades would be quite shocking

Barbosa + Diaw

TJ Ford/Martell Webster/Jarret Jack/#13/#17

Nash/Ford/Jack
Bell/Rush(13)/Strawberry
Hill/Webster/Tucker
Amare/Darell Arthur(15)
Shaq/Marreese Speights(17)

Giricek Skinner?

FTW

HooverDam

Reaction score
A combo of the Toronto and Portland trades would be quite shocking

Barbosa + Diaw

TJ Ford/Martell Webster/Jarret Jack/#13/#17

Nash/Ford/Jack
Bell/Rush(13)/Strawberry
Hill/Webster/Tucker
Amare/Darell Arthur(15)
Shaq/Marreese Speights(17)

Giricek Skinner?

FTW

The Suns get WAY too much in that scenario.

I'd love to move Diaw for TJ Ford, but that doesn't work according to RealGM or ESPN Trade Machine. Also, I can't believe the Suns would move Diaw, get Ford, AND get #17, while keeping 15. I mean, I feel like straight up Ford for Diaw, the Suns are getting the better deal, and they're going to get a nice pick? If Toronto does want to move up, I'd imagine the deal would be something more like:

Phoenix sends:
Boris Diaw

Toronto sends:
TJ Ford
Future 2nd round/cash/'future considerations'

And I'd probably be fine with that. But unless I'm missing something ,the salaries don't work out w/ Ford and Diaw.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Suns get WAY too much in that scenario.

I'd love to move Diaw for TJ Ford, but that doesn't work according to RealGM or ESPN Trade Machine. Also, I can't believe the Suns would move Diaw, get Ford, AND get #17, while keeping 15. I mean, I feel like straight up Ford for Diaw, the Suns are getting the better deal, and they're going to get a nice pick?

The trade doesn't work because those guys are BYC but I think that status ends after the draft or at some point before the season begins.

I don't like the Portland trade, since, if Webster blows up, so will his salary.

Diaw for Ford + #17 would be beautiful.

moviebuff316

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to see the Toronto trade. With TJ we finally get a backup for nash. Diaw is way to inconsistent to keep. I would like to see us keep Barbosa though.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I think that the Suns are getting great value for both players.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't Diaw and Barbosa BYC making it very hard to get anything of value for them? If they still are, when does that period end?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't Diaw and Barbosa BYC making it very hard to get anything of value for them? If they still are, when does that period end?

Probably, but I'm sure that is why we are trading them for those still in their rookie contracts. The draft picks are the way that we can regain value.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score

Some deals can be be delayed until after July 1 for final completeion, so BYC would not apply.

One issue that is not being considered is if trading with Portland is a way to ensure they can draft Rush. There are a lot of rumors related to the Cavs making a deal with the Warriors. I don't think the Warriors draft Rush, but the Cavs really want Rush.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Lets do both those deals, then package 2 of the picks to move up and get a top 5 pick. :)

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
The trade doesn't work because those guys are BYC but I think that status ends after the draft or at some point before the season begins.

I don't like the Portland trade, since, if Webster blows up, so will his salary.

Diaw for Ford + #17 would be beautiful.

Yes the trades would be put in place on draft day but not executed until July 1st. While I agree that we gain quite a bit back in return, I was just going off chad fords rumors.

You comment on Webster is very disturbing. Quite a dark turn of mind there, and to be honest, I think Webster grossly underperformed for his team last year; they needed much more from him than he gave.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i'd do both trades in a heartbeat.

in essence it's:

barbs for ford - better pg play, if not a riskier propisition

diaw for webster - inconsistent for upside

plus the suns net 2 #1's? no-brainer as far as i'm concerned. i'd also consider each one individually, but the combo of the two is best as it allows us to replace a small with a better fitting small (as tj is a true pg) and a 3 with a 3 (and one with an outside shooting stroke at that to compliment our bigs).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Both Diaw and Barbosa would prosper in their new settings. If it makes the team better I am OK with it. Having 3 picks would be good. We could move up if necessary.

We'd have a young/old team, trading away our middle-aged players.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
i'd do both trades in a heartbeat.

in essence it's:

barbs for ford - better pg play, if not a riskier propisition

diaw for webster - inconsistent for upside

plus the suns net 2 #1's? no-brainer as far as i'm concerned. i'd also consider each one individually, but the combo of the two is best as it allows us to replace a small with a better fitting small (as tj is a true pg) and a 3 with a 3 (and one with an outside shooting stroke at that to compliment our bigs).

Again, people are ignoring that we would trade our 1st big off the bench and the only other guy besides Amare and Shaq that can play the big positions for rookies and smaller players. HELLO? Does anybody even comprehend the problems that would cause?

Everyone complains about us not having any bigs--this makes us even WORSE in that regard. I hate that people just look at quantity and individual talent, but ignore how this affects us as a TEAM.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Blazers rather keep Webster, Jones and and second round pick would suffice.

Jones's length still appeals to me, he is a Posey-lite type player. The Suns should go after Posey if they cannot net any defensive wing man this off season.

But yeah, Jones still has potential to get better in opinion, just had a bad season before he was traded.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Chap on Diaw. I'm not convinced Ford is going to be healthy enough to make a difference and can see no point in dealing Diaw for something other than another big.

Under best cas scenerio, the Suns will re-sign Skinner and sign another big. This would free Boris up to backup Hill at SF and still be available for inside play. But without Diaw, this leaves the Suns having to find thee minumn priced bigs AND a tall SF to help on the Tony Parkers of the world.

Some of these proposals sound like the stuff Isiah Thomas would do. IT would looke at every deal in isolation - "who is better?" But good trades are not just inisolation. Solving one problem only to create another, even bigger problem is pointless.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
I'd do both trades in a heartbeat. We get a TRUE PG (Jack over Barbosa) to back-up Nash without having to draft one, plus we get another 3pt shooter to replace the one we are shipping out (Webster for Diaw), plu s we get 2 more mid 1st rnd picks.

Yes, we lose our MAIN back-up big, however, with those picks we can grab another big or 2 plus another wing. The bigs have been working out and pining to move up in the draft as it is.

If we are able to do both trades, I'd love to see the Suns get at least one wing (Rush, Greene, Alexander) and at least one big (Spieghts, Thompson, Hickson, R. Lopez, Ajinca, Koufos).

If they keep all 3 1sts, I wouldn't mind taking Batum with one of them and keeping him overseas for a year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn