Draft: Top 20 for pick 22

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is kinda my initial thought after a couple days of free agency and looking at the Cardinals roster. I am still working through this order a bit, but this is kinda it for me.

Ikem Ekwonu – OL – NC State
Kayvon Thibodeaux – EDGE – Oregon
Aiden Hutchinson – EDGE – Michigan
David Ojabo – EDGE – Michigan
Evan Neal – OL – Alabama
Garrett Wilson – WR – Ohio St.
Chris Olave – WR – Ohio St
Jermaine Johnson – EDGE – Florida St

Ahmad Gardner – CB – Cincinnati
Trent McDuffie – CB – Washington
Boye Mafe – EDGE - Minnesota
Tyler Linderbaum – OL – Iowa
Kenyon Green – OL – Texas A&M
Drake London – WR – USC
Travon Walker – DL – Georgia
Charles Cross – OL – Mississippi St
Zion Johnson – OL – Boston College
Tyler Smith – OL – Tulsa
Jordan Davis – DL – Georgia
Devonte Wyatt – DL – Georgia

Some definite tough decisions for me in this.

CB is tough because we have Byron Murphy and Marco Wilson. While I believe these CBs are probably better than either of these players, I hate to for viable players into depth roles. Also, I don't believe Vance's scheme requires good CBs so these players will be underutilized.

WR gets elevated because I don't love the class in general and I really like the fit of Olave, Wilson and London.

OL gets a bit downgraded because most of those guys are interior players and I struggle with the positional value. That said, Linderbaum is my favorite of the interior guys. Cross is probably the third best prospect but he is so raw that I don't think he could have an sort of immediate impact.

EDGE is tough because I really like several of these guys. I like the rush ability of Ojabo a lot but he is not as refined and Thib, Hutch and JJ. Mafe I probably like more than most but I think he can be special. Also to be considered is that EDGE is a really deep class IMO so there are some legit dudes in rounds 2 and possibly 3 that can play.

Travon Walker is a DE for our scheme. He might be really good but the position switch is a concern for me. I don't know that he has the interior rush juice especially if you need him to put on 25 lbs. Davis also is a pass rush concern for me. I don't love the weight issues. Wyatt is a meh for me as well.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is kinda my initial thought after a couple days of free agency and looking at the Cardinals roster. I am still working through this order a bit, but this is kinda it for me.

Evan Neal – OL – Alabama

Drake London – WR – USC
Tyler Smith – OL – Tulsa

CB is tough because we have Byron Murphy and Marco Wilson. While I believe these CBs are probably better than either of these players, I hate to for viable players into depth roles. Also, I don't believe Vance's scheme requires good CBs so these players will be underutilized.

WR gets elevated because I don't love the class in general and I really like the fit of Olave, Wilson and London.

OL gets a bit downgraded because most of those guys are interior players and I struggle with the positional value. That said, Linderbaum is my favorite of the interior guys. Cross is probably the third best prospect but he is so raw that I don't think he could have an sort of immediate impact.

EDGE is tough because I really like several of these guys. I like the rush ability of Ojabo a lot but he is not as refined and Thib, Hutch and JJ. Mafe I probably like more than most but I think he can be special. Also to be considered is that EDGE is a really deep class IMO so there are some legit dudes in rounds 2 and possibly 3 that can play.

Travon Walker is a DE for our scheme. He might be really good but the position switch is a concern for me. I don't know that he has the interior rush juice especially if you need him to put on 25 lbs. Davis also is a pass rush concern for me. I don't love the weight issues. Wyatt is a meh for me as well.

I don't see Walker as a DE. He moves like he's 250 at 270.

I like Mafe too. He might be the only Edge left that's worthy of the pick.

Struggling to see past Guard or WR simply because I think the CBs, OLBs and iDL worthy of where we pick are all gone by then.

WR is deep so I lean more towards G. While I agree with the position value in general Guards are more valuable to a team with Kyler Murray that plays Donald twice a year.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Struggling to see past Guard or WR simply because I think the CBs, OLBs and iDL worthy of where we pick are all gone by then.

WR is deep so I lean more towards G. While I agree with the position value in general Guards are more valuable to a team with Kyler Murray that plays Donald twice a year.
Walker is super stiff and a zero pass rush option at OLB in a 3-4. You can make the argument he could be a 4-3 DE but again, he has no bend off the edge. Tough to value edge players who don't offer + pass rush traits. His value is as you said, he is pretty athletic for his size and is a pretty thick dude. Putting him inside is what creates the mismatches for him.

I disagree a bit that WR is deep. I think we need WRs with polish and a little size or a lot of speed. Olave and Wilson are polished and Drake has rare size. We can get traits later, but traits aren't going to contribute and get Kyler to trust them.

I like the depth of OG better than WR. There is a chance Zion or Tyler Smith fall to round 2 and there are some other guys in that round group who could come in and fight for a spot even if they don't beat our Pugh or Murray. I don't disagree with your assertion that protecting Kyler is critical but in terms of talent, you are forcing it a bit. I don't mind going OG at 22, that is why they are on my list.

I actually like DL in round 2 better than round 1 as well. Think you get a similar player at a lower pick.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
AJ Green = right idea, wrong guy? Maybe London is the big target Kyler likes.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I agree that Mafe will most likely be the only worthy ER left on the board at 23. I wouldn't hate the pick. He looks to be a good fit.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don’t see this at all on tape.
I have yet to find a clip where he bends on the edge. He is great at attacking the shoulder, disengaging and then going to get someone. He is good sliding laterally and then attacking up the field. He has impressive bull rush and can disengage from it. But I can't find examples of him turning the corner on the edge. Please share if you find some.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have yet to find a clip where he bends on the edge. He is great at attacking the shoulder, disengaging and then going to get someone. He is good sliding laterally and then attacking up the field. He has impressive bull rush and can disengage from it. But I can't find examples of him turning the corner on the edge. Please share if you find some.
Ooooh, my bad! I read that as Mafe for some reason.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The area that I am struggling with the most is trying to rank this group.

Ahmad Gardner
Trent McDuffie
Boye Mafe
Tyler Linderbaum
Kenyon Green
Charles Cross
Drake London

Here is where I struggle.

Linderbaum is the best offensive lineman of the group, plays the second most important position, but that position has Rodney Hudson at it for this year and next. I really like Charles Cross but he is at LT and we really need to upgrade at the OG spot and that isn't for him. Kenyon Green is the one I like the least out of this trio but plays the position that needs to be upgraded the most.

Gardner and McDuffie are better prospects than Mafe but I like the potential and fit of Mafe better than either CB.

Drake London is a big and tall dude in the AJ Green mold but he does have some dropsies and is not a big speed player.

I think the defensive players are probably "better" but I feel like the offense and helping Kyler is the more important thing.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chopper - When in doubt, go BPA. You can’t predict when Hudson will get injured or retire. And there’s no reason why you couldn’t groom or stockpile Linderbaum before starting him for 10 years.

Love the player-specific write-ups. Someone here should collect all the info and create an ASFN mini-Draft Guide for the Cards in 2022.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Evan Neal – OL – Alabama

Drake London – WR – USC
Tyler Smith – OL – Tulsa

Is it the knee injury or lack of polish as a route runner that has you out on Jameson Williams?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I disagree a bit that WR is deep. I think we need WRs with polish and a little size or a lot of speed. Olave and Wilson are polished and Drake has rare size. We can get traits later, but traits aren't going to contribute and get Kyler to trust them.
i would add Burks here, but then thats it for WRs who you would expect to come in and contribute week 1.

Jameson Williams is there on talent as well, but had his ACL been in Oct rather than January i would feel better about him. Whomever takes him really will likely have to wait to 2023 to get full value.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Is it the knee injury or lack of polish as a route runner that has you out on Jameson Williams?
The knee and his slight frame. I think he had speed enough before the injury but I am not risking it for a sub 190 lb guy.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
i would add Burks here, but then thats it for WRs who you would expect to come in and contribute week 1.

Jameson Williams is there on talent as well, but had his ACL been in Oct rather than January i would feel better about him. Whomever takes him really will likely have to wait to 2023 to get full value.
Burks scares me. He doesn’t seem as explosive as AJ Brown who he is compared to. He also isn’t real tall. Doesn’t seem to be a dog on the field like a Deebo.

football karma

Reaction score
Burks scares me. He doesn’t seem as explosive as AJ Brown who he is compared to. He also isn’t real tall. Doesn’t seem to be a dog on the field like a Deebo.
Burks is like Michael Floyd with better hands

a long strider

he is tailor made for what they had AJ Green doing: go routes, posts, overs, comebacks, jump balls and contested catches

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Burks is like Michael Floyd with better hands

a long strider

he is tailor made for what they had AJ Green doing: go routes, posts, overs, comebacks, jump balls and contested catches
I don’t see it. He bullied dudes in college and I don’t think he will be able to in the NFL

football karma

Reaction score
I don’t see it. He bullied dudes in college and I don’t think he will be able to in the NFL
funny -- the top WRs: Wilson, Olave, London, Burks, and Williams

go to five different draft sites and there are five different orders of preference

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

His testing was also meh.

9th percentile 3 cone. 21st percentile vertical. 37th percentile 40 yard.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You probably can get Ojabo in the second or third round. I hope his injury is not too serious.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose