Draft day moves summation

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You weren't against drafting Coby from what I recall, but you weren't in favor of him either. I think you were open to the possibility he would be selected and preferred White to Garland but that didn't mean you were excited about it.

I think there were 4 categories discussed outside of trading the pick that everyone fell into.
1. Draft Coby
2. Draft Garland
3. Draft one of wings projected to go around #6 (Hunter, Culver, Reddish)
4. Reach for a PF (Hayes, Rai, Clarke, Washington, other)

Of course some wanted to trade the pick also but it's too hard to guess what the return would be and what trades were out there so everyone came to terms with 1 of those 4 outcomes happening and made their choice as to which they preferred. I think I was one of the only posters who was in the "Draft Coby" camp as my preferred outcome, even more than trading the pick. If I had to guess I'd say most posters were in the 3rd camp followed by #2 and then #1 or #4 being fairly even as the 3rd outcome.

The way it's been discussed since the draft went down though it seems like the "Draft Coby" camp has grown substantially. I don't remember anyone else being that in favor of him though. The Players Tribune piece from the day or two before the draft helped win some people over to the idea of taking him but I don't think he was anyone else's #1 choice.

You're right, I wasn't pushing for White at all but once we traded down for Saric and Cam I found myself questioning the decision to not just take White. But after a few days have passed I realize we made the far safer move and considering the debacle that has been our draft approach since Len, safe makes a lot of sense.

And I agree, the Coby legend has grown considerably since we failed to draft him. I saw a few draft recaps that gave us a failing grade solely (or at least primarily) because we could have had White and I don't think they were all that in love with the player prior to the draft.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All things being equal opting for 3 points shooting or some extra offense always comes second for me. I would much rather go for Rebounding & Defense. I don't think Saric was any safer. I think we just opted for option B and his expiring contract was a huge factor for cap space.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All things being equal opting for 3 points shooting or some extra offense always comes second for me. I would much rather go for Rebounding & Defense. I don't think Saric was any safer. I think we just opted for option B and his expiring contract was a huge factor for cap space.

Cap space for what? The free agent class next offseason isn't even MLE worthy.

OP
OP
N

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cap space for what? The free agent class next offseason isn't even MLE worthy.

Yeah thats the problem, no FAs that move the dial next year and now no more tradeable picks and assets either (milwakee pick, TJ) that are good expendable trade bate.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah thats the problem, no FAs that move the dial next year and now no more tradeable picks and assets either (milwakee pick, TJ) that are good expendable trade bate.

Yep. We are now relying entirely on astronomical internal growth from Booker, Ayton and Bridges, in order just to be competitive again.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This raises a good point that I hadn’t yet thought of . . . it’s been some while since we’ve not had what we consider additional expendable assets. Other than cap space I think we’ve now cashed in all of our chips. No more lakers picks, heats picks or Milwaukee picks. No more Warren. You consider jJ as such an asset but at his value he’s at his lowest point possible. We are now operating at the thinnest of margins. If our decisions (use of cap space, draft picks) don’t pan out we only have our own draft picks as recourse.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This raises a good point that I hadn’t yet thought of . . . it’s been some while since we’ve not had what we consider additional expendable assets. Other than cap space I think we’ve now cashed in all of our chips. No more lakers picks, heats picks or Milwaukee picks. No more Warren. You consider jJ as such an asset but at his value he’s at his lowest point possible. We are now operating at the thinnest of margins. If our decisions (use of cap space, draft picks) don’t pan out we only have our own draft picks as recourse.

And we have virtually nothing to show for the cashing in of our chips. James Jones has done a horrendous job of asset management, in my opinion.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cap space comes into play for more than just FA's. Naturally I am am assuming they are clearing cap space for future moves. Maybe not just next year but in the next couple years.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So far:

Saric is better than Warren and a true pf who meshes with Ayton. Around the league he is more highly regarded than Warren. I liked Warren, but there is something weird about that dude.

Baynes is probably better than Holmes, at least equal.

We added the best shooter in the draft.

We added the best passer in the draft.

That the best spin I can muster.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
So far:

Saric is better than Warren and a true pf who meshes with Ayton. Around the league he is more highly regarded than Warren. I liked Warren, but there is something weird about that dude.

I like Holmes quite a bit, but I think Baynes is definitely better at guarding other big men and that was something we were really bad at when Ayton wasn't on the floor.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Holmes quite a bit, but I think Baynes is definitely better at guarding other big men and that was something we were really bad at when Ayton wasn't on the floor.

There is no question and with Saric in the floor the front court is more leaky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There is no question and with Saric in the floor the front court is more leaky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How do you figure that? At least Saric is taller than Warren and actually tries to play defense. How is the front court MORE leaky now than it was when we were starting Ayton and Dragan freaking Bender??

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How do you figure that? At least Saric is taller than Warren and actually tries to play defense. How is the front court MORE leaky now than it was when we were starting Ayton and Dragan freaking Bender??

Bender is a far better defender than Saric.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I have been watching Atlanta. They are doing a masterful job of using their cap space to take on large contracts for draft picks, signing free agents startegically, buying second round draft picks, etc. It looks like after they make their moves for the season, they don't let cap space just sit there. They take on contracts from other teams in exchange for draft picks. They took on two contracts this season, after having already benefitted from doing that in previous seasons. Their GM is also trading picks and making moves on draft day. I like the approach their front office is doing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So far:

Baynes is better than Holmes and is a true defensive big. He was the top frontcourt defender in Boston by a decent amount. I posted the stats here somewhere regarding his defensive impact in Boston. I think they're in the "Welcome Aron Baynes" thread.

In addition to his defense he can shoot from outside well enough to space the floor. He's not a great 3pt shoot but he's a competent 3pt shooter, which will really open up the floor if he plays with Saric and Bridges. That would give us 3 shooters while Booker and Oubre can penetrate.

I don't envision Booker will see a lot of time at PG but he will see some playing time as the PG. Being able to slide him over gives Monty more options if he wants to stick with the hot hand elsewhere in the lineup.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like Baynes, he is big and active, a very good post-up defender and he is mobile enough to defend quicker centers as well.

Not a leaper but an excellent positional and hustle rebounder. His new-found 3P-shooting was a pleasant surprise for himself as well, I guess.

He was more important to BOS than his stats did indicate.

Having said all of that I'm still not sure that I take him over Holmes (without marijuana) long-term, but I believe the Suns have moved on from Holmes because of the off-court issue.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Have you seen where Saric ranks in plus minus and DRPM?!? It’s at the rock bottom of power forwards in the NBA.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have you seen where Saric ranks in plus minus and DRPM?!? It’s at the rock bottom of power forwards in the NBA.

He was alright the year before in Philly. Those stats rely heavily on who you share the court with and, IMO, Wiggins is an infection, he is so putrid that it makes anyone on the court with him difficult to evaluate. In overall RPM he was 30 the year before and 64 last year.

Side note, dead last in RPM last year... Maquese Chris, with a rating so low you almost wonder if, on the rate plays he did score, he was putting it in the wrong hoop. And, surprisingly, only 2 spots above him, Marvin Bagley. Probably fair to question if the front Kings front office demands for Bagley to receive big minutes did real damage to their playoff push.

That stat on ESPN's site is all messed up though, it's got tons of players in the wrong spots and I suspect with the wrong stats, for example, it has Ayton as a small forward with a hugely negative offensive rating and a good defensive rating.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was alright the year before in Philly. Those stats rely heavily on who you share the court with and, IMO, Wiggins is an infection, he is so putrid that it makes anyone on the court with him difficult to evaluate. In overall RPM he was 30 the year before and 64 last year.

Side note, dead last in RPM last year... Maquese Chris, with a rating so low you almost wonder if, on the rate plays he did score, he was putting it in the wrong hoop. And, surprisingly, only 2 spots above him, Marvin Bagley. Probably fair to question if the front Kings front office demands for Bagley to receive big minutes did real damage to their playoff push.

That stat on ESPN's site is all messed up though, it's got tons of players in the wrong spots and I suspect with the wrong stats, for example, it has Ayton as a small forward with a hugely negative offensive rating and a good defensive rating.

I could buy that if the related stats were great. Not like he wasn’t criticized in those areas just last season. It’s been a thing each year.