Draft - chances of Cards Trading back?

Chances (%) that Cards trade back in this year's draft?

• 10%

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • 20%

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • 30%

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • 40%

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • 50%

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • 60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70%

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • 80%

• 90%

• 100%

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Given the Cards history what are the chances (%) that they'll trade back in this years draft?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think that is a greater chance than usual because there will be several players available at 13 that are top players and fills needs for the Cardinals. Moreover, there should be players that will slip (Trent Richardson) that are attractive to other teams, but aren't great options for AZ. Add these factors with the fact that the Cardinals are short a pick, and I think that they probability is about 40%.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
20-25%.

Only because they probably regret trading their 2nd rounder and would like to pick up another one.

OP
OP
C

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think that is a greater chance than usual because there will be several players available at 13 that are top players and fills needs for the Cardinals. Moreover, there should be players that will slip (Trent Richardson) that are attractive to other teams, but aren't great options for AZ. Add these factors with the fact that the Cardinals are short a pick, and I think that they probability is about 40%.

???

If there are several players at #13 that match "BPA and need" for the Cards the chances of trading back would likely diminish.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see the Cards move back a few spots and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In order for a trade down to happen
1. A player who the Cards have targetted at 13 doesn't fall to them/they don't see value in the 13th pick.
2. A player that another team really wants falls to 13 and the team doesn't think that player will be available when they pick.
3. Trade has to be discussed and agreed to in a very short window.

While it's always possible, I would think the probability would be pretty low.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I feel like we always forget that the Cardinals need a willing partner to change their draft position. The real question is, "Is there anyone projected to be available at 13 that won't likely make it past #14 or #15 in the draft?" And if so, is there any other team that truly covets that player?

Here is the order and what I think their 1st round targets will be based on need, not BPA:

#13 Cards OL
#14 Dallas CB, OL
#15 Eagles LB , DL
#16 Jets RB, WR
#17 Bengals (from OAK) RB
#18 Chargers OLB
#19 Bears WR
#20 Titans OL

I don't think the Cards would be interested in trading back any further than 20 because they won't get anywhere near good value for the pick coming back their way. This is about the range where they can swap 1st rounders and pick up a 2nd round pick from the trade partner.

I think the Bengals would make the most likely trading partner, since they have two first round picks. They need a RB. They may want to trade up with someone else to get Trent Richardson (ALA) in the Top 10, or they may find a willing trade partner in the Cards for Lamar Miller (MIA). The Jets also need some help at RB, so leaping ahead of them to grab Miller if Richardson is gone would make sense.

My guess is that Cincy makes a play for Richardson and that no one else feels sufficiently threatened that DAL or PHI will take their guy. So they don't need AZ as a trading partner.

We stay put. 0%

Last edited:

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
The Cards don't make many moves but there's always a chance. Especially when you are missing a second round pick. Therefore I voted for 20%.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I think the chances are slim because wheeler-dealer Jerry Jones is sitting one position behind us and teams would probably target him for a trade first.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If the Cards wouldn't have won all those meaningless games the second half of the season we'd be able to trade out for a ton of picks or draft one of the 5 best players to come out of college this season.

:p

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I feel like we always forget that the Cardinals need a willing partner to change their draft position. The real question is, "Is there anyone projected to be available at 13 that won't likely make it past #14 or #15 in the draft?" And if so, is there any other team that truly covets that player?

Here is the order and what I think their 1st round targets will be based on need, not BPA:

#13 Cards OL
#14 Dallas CB, OL
#15 Eagles LB , DL
#16 Jets RB, WR
#17 Bengals (from OAK) RB
#18 Chargers OLB
#19 Bears WR
#20 Titans OL

I don't think the Cards would be interested in trading back any further than 20 because they won't get anywhere near good value for the pick coming back their way. This is about the range where they can swap 1st rounders and pick up a 2nd round pick from the trade partner.

I think the Bengals would make the most likely trading partner, since they have two first round picks. They need a RB. They may want to trade up with someone else to get Trent Richardson (ALA) in the Top 10, or they may find a willing trade partner in the Cards for Lamar Miller (MIA). The Jets also need some help at RB, so leaping ahead of them to grab Miller if Richardson is gone would make sense.

My guess is that Cincy makes a play for Richardson and that no one else feels sufficiently threatened that DAL or PHI will take their guy. So they don't need AZ as a trading partner.

We stay put. 0%

so,...you think the Cards give Cincy our pick and Beanie wells for both thier first rounders??lol...

Cincy would be my choice as well based solely on their position right behind the jets.

If we trade back...dallas will take DeCastro....cryin shame to do that to the boy......

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If Kolb or Double Duece is all we have at QB this fall the Cards must go heavy. Big RBs and road grader offensive linemen so they can win running the ball 52 times and completing 4 of 10 passes.

Alshon Jeffrey in 1st, OG Brandon Brooks of Miami (O) in the 3rd, RB Terrance Ganaway of Baylor in the 4th or 5th and OT Marcel Jones of Nebraska in the 6th.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Cards wouldn't have won all those meaningless games the second half of the season we'd be able to trade out for a ton of picks or draft one of the 5 best players to come out of college this season.

:p

Thats a double edged sword. We MIGHT have a chance to get Payton Manning right now, but if we had only won 3 or 4 games then I doubt we even enter the conversation because we would look a lot farther than a QB away.

And even ignoring the Payton possibilities... I like the Cards leaving off on a positive note, leaves me excited about next year. Whereas if we had kept playing like they did vs Minnesota then I would be dreading the future.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This might be the year - because (at least at first glance) this looks like it could be one of those years when the pool of top talent plateaus fairly early (after the top 3-5 players) and extends far into the 2nd round.

All things being equal, It might make sense for the Cards to drop out of #13 in order to pick up a later #1 plus a 2nd rounder.

Problem is - If it makes sense for us to drop down, why would it make sense for another team to sacrifice a pick to trade up?

The way I see it - For us to trade down would involve (1) there not being someone at #13 we're absolutely in love with and (2) there being someone at #13 that another team's GM really wants badly.

It could happen. 25 - 75.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
???

If there are several players at #13 that match "BPA and need" for the Cards the chances of trading back would likely diminish.

Possibly available when we pick that would fill a need

Alshon Jeffrey - WR
Kendall Wright - WR
Jonathan Martin - OT
Mike Adams - OT
David DeCastro - OG
Melvin Ingram - DE/OLB
Courtney Upshaw - DE/OLB
Nick Perry - DE/OLB
Whitney Mercilus - DE/OLB
Vinny Curry - DE/OLB
Luke Kuechly - ILB
Donta Hightower - ILB
Vontaze Brufict - ILB/OLB (3-4)

That's 13 players that could reasonably be available when we pick at #13, that would fill a need and you could argue that are BPA (Castro being the highest rated). Yeah it sucks passing up on a guy like Castro or Martin or Upshaw/Ingram but we need to upgrade our entire offensive line, pass rush (OLB), and SILB. You could also justify a WR or S as well. We have many needs right now, FA might change that, but right now trading back seems like one of the best options available.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard