Doug Franz is leaving 98.7 Sports

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seems its the end for Doug and Wolf. Not that they were a good source for Suns news but hopefully their absence will improve Suns coverage overall at 98.7. I believe its an improvement already that they won't pretend to talk Suns anymore. Only 1 person here ever tried using them as a valid source, that I saw, so I doubt they'll be missed by many here.

Arizonasports.com/story/2790763/98-7-fm-arizonas-sports-station-lineup-changes-september/

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I think he’s contributing off air. Not sure why they switched the two shows around.

They just switched him to “digital contributor” until his contract runs out. It is pretty much the same as being fired. I’m guessing they switched the shows for rating reasons. The morning 6-10 show is considered a “bigger” show because that is when the majority of drive time is. Gambo would of probably been on the morning show for awhile now, but he has stated many times that he refuses to do mornings and will only do his current time slot.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
They just switched him to “digital contributor” until his contract runs out. It is pretty much the same as being fired. I’m guessing they switched the shows for rating reason. The morning 6-10 show is considered a “bigger” show because that is when the majority of drive time is. Gambo would of probably been on the morning show for awhile now, but he has stated many times that he refuses to do mornings and will only do his current time slot.

I don’t like the Doug & Wolf show but it will be undoubtedly better than the Wolf & Luke show. The ratings aspect makes sense but whenever I listen to Bickley & Marotta it’s via podcast. Live radio sucks with all the advertisements and dead time.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I thought they were pretty good together. I don't know that this means we'll get any better Suns coverage from the station.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I never cared for Wolfley either but he does know the NFL. He's a total meat head but if he has someone decent to balance that against then he's tolerable.

I miss Asher, from Gambo & Ash. I don't care much for Burns. I haven't paid much attention to local sports radio in a while. I used to like Rock & Manucci. Even though I never cared much for Bickley I though he was good with Jurecki.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wofley knows the NFL but every time he speaks DUMB oozes out. Between his catch phrases, and stupid Wolfisms he has nothing of substance to say unless he is relating it specifically to his time in the NFL...which he does about everything. He tries so hard to sound philosophical about things but instead comes off like a drunk Yogi bear. I can't stand him.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wofley knows the NFL but every time he speaks DUMB oozes out. Between his catch phrases, and stupid Wolfisms he has nothing of substance to say unless he is relating it specifically to his time in the NFL...which he does about everything. He tries so hard to sound philosophical about things but instead comes off like a drunk Yogi bear. I can't stand him.
And part of the problem is he’s so far removed from being an active player he still tries to pretend it’s 1991 and That is playing experience is 100% applicable to today

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Doug was a sincerely nice guy who drove the show pretty well. He often seemed too apologetic and conditional in his opinions, which seemed weak, but he did know his stuff.

It makes perfect sense to put your two best shows, Bickley n Marotta and Burns n Gambo in the two drive time slots.

I hope he lands on his feet at another station here locally. This is a big market and there isn't much talent around that has 20+ years of on air experience looking for work.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I was going to say that at least he still has the Suns' PA job but I had him mixed up with Vince Marotta. Just saw that Marotta and all the other NBA PA announcers will be in NBA2K22.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My voice impression of him is 50% Macho Man Randy Savage and 50% Barney the dinosaur.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I never cared for Doug just seemed to really over analyze everything and he wasnt really in tune with the history of our teams. I miss Gambo and Ash also
They were good together

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still the only entertaining segment I got from this show

Too bad they didn't have Vontaze Burfict on the show live. That might have been fun.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson