• Yes

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Judging from social media some would say Jones is safe. He apparently had individual meetings with players (Ayton included) yesterday and today Monty is gone, so Jones definitely still acting as GM. Further more some speculate Isaiah Thomas is already the GM and James Jones is just the face with no "baggage"

My guess is James Jones is safe - but he won't have any say as far as who the next coach is, like how he didn't have any say in trading Bridges

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think he should go.

But he listened to the new owner to go get KD.

That and a new owner overturning the whole apple cart a few months in might be a bit much to ask for. Here's hoping though.:gun:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think JJ stays, maybe not as GM but at least in his new President of Basketball Operations position for another season.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to say yes he does because every time new ownership comes in management gets turned

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I voted yes because I think he stays, but I think his role will change.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Jones survives. Ishbia forced the Durant trade, that was made rather clear at the time. Firing the GM after its failure is a really bad look.

But Jones doesn’t have any semblance of autonomy. For better or worse.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I voted no but it could go either way. If he does stay he won't have much power. That I think is pretty clear.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Technically isn't Jones Head of Basketball Operations and already above GM level, technically. Which means he could stay and they could still add a GM?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically isn't Jones Head of Basketball Operations and already above GM level, technically. Which means he could stay and they could still add a GM?
Correct although I'm not sure being the President of Basketball Operations is always higher than GM. I'm not sure it's not either, but sometimes it's very confusing which one has the real power. Still, he holds both titles right now and since it happened right around the time the team was sold, I suspect it has meaning for JJ's GMing future.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Correct although I'm not sure being the President of Basketball Operations is always higher than GM. I'm not sure it's not either, but sometimes it's very confusing which one has the real power. Still, he holds both titles right now and since it happened right around the time the team was sold, I suspect it has meaning for JJ's GMing future.

Seems to be dependent on the organization whether or not head of BB operations is above GM. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all know who has the real power with the Suns. Let's hope it is used wisely.

It took years for Sarver to trust a GM to make decisions.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone was happy when Robert Sarver played GM. He made some terrible moves.

Are we going to be happy with Mat Ishbia playing GM?

It appears James Jones power is greatly reduced.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We’ll have to see if Ishbia hires a legit GM like Jacobs. If Jones stays or is replaced by someone that wouldn’t be called considered an upgrade then we’ll know Ishbia plans on being a hands on controlling type of owner.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I'm going to guess that "Head of Basketball Operations" is more related to PR and other operations, and less to do with player personnel decisions. So probably more ceremonial, but also less of your neck being on the line than if you are making actual player personnel decisions.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thunder dan as hc!!! Lol he did ok at his college team right?

Im sooooo happy monty choke artist is gone made my yr :) bong rip mango dream to that

Jones needs to go to clean house

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think our head coach opening will draw a lot of interest but I doubt we're going to have guys kicking the door down to be our GM if we fire Jones.

An older team with lots of holes and almost no resources to improve the situation... furthermore, you're going to get virtually no credit if the teams wins and you'll take a tone of blame if it fails.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Bob Myers is interested I think he goes.

If Ishiba really wants to hire Thomas he goes.

Otherwise I think he stays.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whenever I hear him on the radio I never sense any urgency around the trade deadlines. It always seems like we are good with who we have. The whole situation with Crowder wasn’t handled well IMO.
You know it's funny early on I thought Jones was doing a bad job, but I actually think he did pretty well the last year and a half.

I'm kind of neutral on it. The one thing I still don't like about Jones is he doesn't like the draft.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose